• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Will Adobe Illustrator be compatible on the new Macbook Pro with the Apple M1 chip?

New Here ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Looking to purchase the new Apple Macbook Pro with their new M1 chip. I use Adobe Illustrator for my work and I'm conserned about if the software will still run on this new M1 chip and if I will still be able to access all my saved files. Can anyone give any detail?

Thanks

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Hi all,

Sorry about this trouble. As of now, Illustrator on M1 devices doesn't work natively, but it runs using Apple's Rosetta 2 technology which may cause few performance issues. For more details, please take a look at this help article (https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/apple-silicon-m1-chip.html).

We have recently released an update for Illustrator 2021 (v 25.1) which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on v25.1, then we recommend you to update to latest versi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just purchased the mac mini M1, I am able to use illustrator and other adobe products with no issues. That being said, your workflow may be different and results will show. But so far, nothing bad, everything works. Actually, it's running much faster and smoother than on my macbook pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@RAC0917 any luck with adobe xd?  Waiting to buy until i hear its working...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Andrew5CFC , I have tried XD and works fine, I actually just finished building out three pages and a system of UI/UX elements and prototype without any issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Macbook pro 16gb RAM with base storage.

I have been using XD extensively, it has been a week and no crahes so far however it can feel choppy sometimes while zooming(not always). I used Illustrator today simultaneously with XD and it crashed within 5 seconds,  I closed all the apps and then ran Illustrator for 5 minutes until it crashed. I tried importing an After effects project from a windows machine and it successfully imported it, saved it and then crashed with an error. I tried multiple times and ended up with same error. but I was able to create a new project and it worked without any issues.

I was also able to run C4d but not Redshift.

Battery life is serious on this machine and I am impressed so far with overall perfomance but I wouldn't use it as my main work machine for now as it's far from being one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2022 Feb 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes Batterry very impressed compatibility  since its new theres like nothing compatible well speaking of Adobe ----M1 will be very good once enoigh people put in the tickets and start calling apple and adobe to resolve issuses then they get the ball moving

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2020 Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know what version of illustrator you're using? I'm wondering if going back a version or two might help mine stop crashing all the damn time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m asking about XD and I haven’t bought the M1 yet

Get Outlook for iOS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2020 Nov 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the latest Illustrator. Have yet to have it crash on me, but Photoshop has crashed a few times when using the crop tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which Mac mini did you buy? The base model or a higher spec model? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn’t buy yet - planning on the 16 gig of Ram version

Get Outlook for iOS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2020 Nov 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got the base 512ssd model. Didn't do anything crazy on it yet, the photoshop beta for M1 is practically unusable. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2020 Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completly disagree with the above comments, they are so far from the truth.

I just got a mimi mac yesterday, 512gb, 16gb ram M1 and it is very slow with Adobe illustrator, freezing every second, stalking and getting stuck. I am not sure how RAC0917 could make sucha. comment.  Happy to share video recordings. Bottom line, if your looking to work with AI, PSD etc with the new mimi mac m1 - It will be very very slow, its un workable. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2020 Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like a "you" problem.

I can make a comment because I have finished multiple projects since I've had my mac mini with only one problem. I got kicked out after trying to crop an image, booted it up again and worked fine. You can go ahead and send videos this way, I can do the exact same.

BTW, to the others, DO NOT use the Photoshop Beta version, that one gave me problems, but the normal one works. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely not, I have also faced many issues using the M1chip Macbook pro and Adobe illustrator. It kept hanging and crashing, slowed down all apps I was using and I only stopped facing issues when I deleted creative cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issues with my mac mini. Illustrator is crashing and freezing all the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having major problems using illustrator with my M1. I've spent hours on apple support and my new MacBook is currently at the doctor to have them run some diagnostic tests in the case that it's a defect Mac and not Adobe illustrator. I'm thinking that having major issues vs not having major issues is all workflow in using these programs. Mine is completely unusable. Freezes up, cursor flashes, just glitch issues across the board. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just saw this article. Not sure it will help..

https://www.dpreview.com/news/2882680958/adobe-apps-not-officially-supported-on-apple-silicon-using-....

But you might want to research it! I know PS is planning to support it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 21, 2020 Nov 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. Adobe is actively working to build apps that run natively in Apple computers using the Apple Silicon M1 chip. Please find more information about M1 support on this help article.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I heard this in November 2020 when I first purchased my new laptop and now in Jan 2021 it's still the same.

When can we expect AI to work well on the new M1 chip devices?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just bought a new MacBook pro M1 today and I'm so frustrated because I use to work with AI, PS and IN all at once but seems to lag and keeps crashing all the time. I even thought it may be the memory but my old MBP 2015 had only 8gb and handled two users with all office suite and Adobe open altogether. I hope they fix it soon or maybe I should return the M1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue right now. I don't even need native support immediately, I just need it to run with any semblance of stability through Rosetta. Every other CC app I've tried runs flawlessly, and I know it's not because I don't have enough RAM. It's borderline unusable not because of how it runs (it runs amazingly when it works), but because it randomly decides to crash. So frustrating. This really needs to be an urgent fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Out of curioustiy.. how much RAM do you have?  I bought the new macbook pro with the M1 chip - only 8 GB of RAM because they didnt have the 16 in stock.  Adobe Illustrator gives me the beachball of death every time I use it... and its the ONLY program I am running.  I was wondering if it is the program or if it is because I dont have enough RAM?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the EXACT same issue. I've tried running just Illustrator doing a simple vector, but it would give me the dreaded rainbow wheel of death. I'm ready to pull my hair out! Glad it's not just me though. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution a found temporarily for me is by using Affinity Designer. It's incredibly fast, I love the speed. I'll probably go back to Adobe as soon they fix the issue because I don't want to learn a whole new software. Hopefully they fix before I learn it though. Also, they still don't have Acrobat Version for Mac M1. Anyone looking to buy, better wait.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines