• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Window and panels moving when Mac goes to sleep

Explorer ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a Mac Mini M1 with 16GB and Big Sur 11.2.3, and am up to date on my Creative Cloud updates. About 25-30% of the time, when the computer goes to sleep, Illustrator will drop down about 1/5 of the way down the screen, as if I clicked the title bar and dragged it down the screen. When this happens, some of my panels will move around as well and I have to reset my workspace. Also, the grey space around the artboard shimmers when I move my cursor and the little popup window urging me to click and learn more about new features will have the font size reduced about 60%. All this happens with both Illustrator and Photoshop (the only Adobe apps I use regularly.) I usually end up quitting and restarting the program, and resetting my workspace. Oddly, all this doesn't happen EVERY time the computer sleeps, but it does happen fairly often, and is very annoying. 

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Dec 19, 2023 Dec 19, 2023

Hello everyone,

I'm pleased to share that the product team has resolved this issue in version 28.1. I've personally tested it and couldn't replicate the problem. Would you all mind installing this version from the CCDA and informing us if it resolves the issue on your end?

Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

Best regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 289 Replies 289
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2023 May 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yours goes wonky everytime you go from one program to another? Wow, that would SUCK for sure! Mine only goes wonky when I first wake up the computer for the morning. The rest of the day going from Ai, to Ps to Id, it all stays where it's supposed to be.  All of the pallettes used to be all over in the left corner in the morning, but for the past couple months, only the swatches pallette moves. I have no explanation for the change. I have noticed that the more that I save files, the confirmation box after you hit save migrates more to the left each time, so every now and then, I have to pull it back to the middle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@chadh64331598  a écrit :

Mine only goes wonky when I first wake up the computer for the morning. 

You do not shut down the computer for the night?

Operating system are just not made for that. A server can run for months, but not desktop computers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's a Mac you don't actually need to switch it off at all, unless you're updating the OS, leaving it for long periods of time and not using it, (like a week or two) or fixing little bugs or purging memory. When in sleep mode the machine actually runs various maintenance tasks to improve performance. It uses very little power when in sleep mode as well!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@cyclopsdx  a écrit :

If it's a Mac you don't actually need to switch it off at all, 

That is a fairy tale.

https://www.macworld.com/article/675859/should-i-shut-down-my-mac-every-night.html#:~:text=However%2...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. What hardware are you using, Monika?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@cyclopsdx  a écrit :

Interesting. What hardware are you using, Monika?

I don't know why that should be important, but I've been a Mac user since the early 90ies. I know firsthand what they are capable of and even more what they aren't capable of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's relevant because I'm interested to see how you arrived at your response to my comment - user experience or online research. Why do you not respond from personal experience then instead of referencing an article from one individual? We could all trawl the internet for subjective articles on the topic – there are plenty of arguments both for and against – but I have responded based upon my own experience. I, too, have been a Mac user since 1988 and am still running 4 machines now, one of them being over 12 years-old. I also ran an agency with 18 staff for 10 years (all Mac users) and, guess what? We never switched them off and I don't now, unless it's for the situations I mention in my post (if you hadn't taken the first sentence out of context).

I'm intrigued - if they were meant to be switched off every night, why do so many people use the MacMini as a server? Mine has been running for over 4 years and has only been shut down for the purposes I mention in my post. Before that, I used a G4. Why do Sketch use them as a render farm if they shouldn't be on all the time? And why is there a sleep mode? It's certainly not been built in just to let you pop out for lunch or a coffee. I would agree that it's generally a good idea to power down Macbooks/MacAirs regularly due to battery constraints but certainly no need for iMacs, Minis, etc.

So, no, I wouldn't regard my reply as a "fairy tale" - it's based on good, solid user experience. I, too, know what they're capable of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

. I would agree that it's generally a good idea to power down Macbooks/MacAirs regularly due to battery constraints but certainly no need for iMacs, Minis, etc.

I'm usually not shutting down my Macbook. When I actually do that, then it's always because it has hung up. And that happens about every 2 weeks. The system just clogs up and needs a reboot. The thing that sucks most is everything file server related. In the end the only thing that solves the issues is a reboot.

Having a Mac mini as a file server running 24/7 seems like a pretty bad idea considering my experience. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2023 Jun 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I now have this issue with my Mac Studio and single Studio Display in work. It had been fine since we received them, the issue only occurred when IT informed us that they were changing the management back end for the macs and re-imaged my machine, wiping it completely and reverting it back to Monterey in the process. I finally had chance to re-update to Ventura today but the problem persists. My colleague with an identical set-up has refused to let IT re-image his Mac after seeing the issues I've had (they broke some other things that worked previously too) and despite us being on the same software versions it doesn't happen to him. I'm starting to think it's a setting somewhere or configuration problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2023 Jul 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac Studio, osx 13.4.1 LG HDR WQHD screen, gives me the same problem. very anoying. Please fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 04, 2023 Jul 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In order to tell this to the developers, please add it in there: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-desktop-bugs/suggestions/45467359-window... 

There might be similar threads on Uservoice. 

Also: tell Apple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 05, 2023 Jul 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

M2 Pro Mac Mini with 4k monitor. Happens on both USB-C and HDMI outputs. And happens every time after wake from sleep in Illustrator, Photoshop, Indesign and Dreamweaver - the palettes move and the document window moves down.

Considering how much money we pay to Adobe, it's absolutely disgusting that this issue still hasn't been fixed in the 2 years since the OP first reported this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 24, 2023 Jul 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

I'm glad to inform you all that the product team has addressed this issue in the Beta build 27.9.0.5 or newer. I've tested it on my end and couldn't reproduce the issue. Would you all mind installing this version from the CCD Beta Apps section and let us know if it fixes the problem at your end?

Anshul_Saini_19-1690226247914.png

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Best Regards,

Anshul Saini

#Marking it correct for visibility

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 25, 2023 Jul 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, this is not correct. With the last update I made today, the problem still exists: using Photoshop, Indesign and Illustrator.

This problem does exist for over 2 years… and now a fake 'resolved'?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 27, 2023 Jul 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anshul

I can confirm that the fix appears to be working for me. Hopefully this can be applied across all three apps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I might add, that I'm still getting screen flicker after sleep which I resolve by switching between 'Overprint Preview' and 'Normal View'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too sometimes have a flickering issue. Disable GPU and it will stop flickering (but this is no real long time solution)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely not a long-term solution! I do the 'quick switch' between views as it's quicker than constantly going to Preferences if I need to re-enable GPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you are right, thank you for your 2nd solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, @waldemarker @cyclopsdx. The screen flicker issue after sleep is a known macOS problem that affects external monitors in various applications. In Illustrator, you can quickly resolve this by pressing the "Cmd + E" shortcut twice. This action should alleviate the flickering.

If you encounter any other difficulties or have further questions, please feel free to reach out. We're here to assist you.

Best regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the flickering issue only in Mac Indesign, which shortcut?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Adobe InDesign on Mac, you can resolve the flickering issue by pressing "Shift + E" twice, @waldemarker.

I hope this help!

Best,
Anshul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I just discovered that I have the same issue (and even worse) in Bridge, but there is no option to disable GPU. See this video: https://streamable.com/hf1ggi 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sharing the video. It looks like you are experiencing a similar issue in Adobe Bridge. I'd recommend posting this in the Bridge community forum so the respective Adobe team can investigate further.

I've personally experienced similar issues with multiple apps. Since switching to an M1 Max Macbook Pro and using a USB-C Adapter to DisplayPort with a 120Hz refresh rate and 2560x1440 resolution Monitor, I no longer face these problems with Adobe or third-party apps.

If you need any further assistance with Illustrator, feel free to let me know. I'm here to help!

Best,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @waldemarker @cyclopsdx 

I apologize for the confusion. The fix for the Windows moving after sleep issue is currently available in the latest pre-release and beta versions of Illustrator. However, it has not been included in the public release yet.

Additionally, I'm glad to inform you that the fix for the issue with Windows moving after sleep has been implemented in Photoshop version 24.7.

However, the InDesign team is still working on addressing this issue in their upcoming updates.

I understand your frustration, and I want to assure you that our development teams are actively working on resolving this issue across all affected Adobe applications. Your feedback is valuable, and we appreciate your patience as we work towards providing a comprehensive solution.

If you have any other concerns or questions, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Best regards,
Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines