• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Window and panels moving when Mac goes to sleep

Explorer ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a Mac Mini M1 with 16GB and Big Sur 11.2.3, and am up to date on my Creative Cloud updates. About 25-30% of the time, when the computer goes to sleep, Illustrator will drop down about 1/5 of the way down the screen, as if I clicked the title bar and dragged it down the screen. When this happens, some of my panels will move around as well and I have to reset my workspace. Also, the grey space around the artboard shimmers when I move my cursor and the little popup window urging me to click and learn more about new features will have the font size reduced about 60%. All this happens with both Illustrator and Photoshop (the only Adobe apps I use regularly.) I usually end up quitting and restarting the program, and resetting my workspace. Oddly, all this doesn't happen EVERY time the computer sleeps, but it does happen fairly often, and is very annoying. 

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Dec 19, 2023 Dec 19, 2023

Hello everyone,

I'm pleased to share that the product team has resolved this issue in version 28.1. I've personally tested it and couldn't replicate the problem. Would you all mind installing this version from the CCDA and informing us if it resolves the issue on your end?

Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

Best regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 289 Replies 289
Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2021 Nov 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help.

I've done all the steps you pointed out, so far the screen shift and gray area flicker problem no longer occur.

But now there is another bug, when I point the tool at an object, the screen becomes white, this bug seems to me even worse than it was before

Not all tools show this bug. I attached a video demonstration

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 28, 2021 Nov 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow. Not sure it want to try the fix now. This seems way worse, the main bug is an annoyance but doesn't make illustrator unusable. This seems way worse. 

is it every file or just the open one when the monitor powers off? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happens with all files. No matter if the monitor was turned off or not.

I experimented some more time, and I can say that the old problems are not gone, the window is still shifting, the gray area continues to flicker.

I restarted the computer and the new problem was added to the bug. If I try to select or edit an object, the screen turns blue and I can't see anything else any action changes the screen color to white or blue, I can't work.

I want to try and get everything back.

Screenshot 2021-11-29 at 11.48.56.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's awful, hopefully @Anshul_Saini can explain how to revert to a working but buggy version.

I won't be trying the suggested fix as I need to able to use Illustrator to do my job.

I might try running the intel version and see if it has the same issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I renamed all the *.old folders back and everything worked as before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this substituting everywhere with Photoshop and it is still broken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is so frustrating, reddit has loads of threads about the issue too. They must be a fir few designers using M1 mac mini with external monitors having the same issue, it's not that niche 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 12, 2022 Jul 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Renaming caches etc. did not work for either Illustrator or Photoshop (latest versions) on a Mac Studio with Dell monitor (12.4 Monterey). Both full-screen windows shift to the same position about one quarter way down from the top after sleep. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 23, 2022 Jul 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anshul

This isn't just an Illustrator issue, this is an issue across ALL Adobe apps I use and has only started since using 2022.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A quick update as this used to happen to me as well. Last year I had an M1 MacBook Air running macOS Big Sur and I had the same issue with the screen flickering on external displays.

I have recently upgraded to a MacBook Pro with the M1 Pro chip and I am running the latest macOS Monterey (12.0.1) and Adobe Illustrator (26.0.1). The issue seems to have disappeared as I haven't seen any screen flickering issues on my external display ever since (Dell UltraSharp).

I know this is anecdotal but I really haven't experienced this issue in weeks. I have a feeling the bug is mostly related to macOS Big Sur?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using a Mac mini m1 16GB, Mac OS 12.0.1 (Monterey), Illustrator 26.0.1
And I keep experiencing these bugs.

I think it's a problem with the Illustrator kernel under ARM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had all of these same problems earlier with v25 and Big Sur - now I'm on 26 with an M1pro, Monterey, and it's been fine so far, but it worries me to see you are expereinceing the same thing with 26.0.1. It's so frustrating, I know. I can't see from your screenshot if your document tab says CPU or GPU - when the flickering happened for me, it would always switch to CPU.

I wrote a blog post that may be helpful if you can find a solution among the things I tried - I did all the removing of preference files as suggested earlier in this thread by Adobe tech support. The flickering came back. It finally resolved when I focused on my monitor as the culprit - I threw out all it's files and settings and a few other things to give it a fresh start. It solved the issue for me. Here's a link, if it helps: https://www.lauracoylecreative.com/illustrator-tips/illustrator-performance-issues

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have just tried 26.01 and 25.4.1 running as intel or running as M1 native, all 4 versions resize and flicker if I turn my monitor off and back on. I'm still on Big Sur and havn't jumped to Monterey yet as I worried that will just cause others issues with other software and prefer to wait a while when a new OS comes out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So with more testing, it's when the monitor turns on and off that the windows move and not the computer sleeping. 

The 3 programmes that do it are Indesign, Illustrator and Photoshop.

Also if you open any dialogue box for example colour picker, open file, save as etc. then this stops the window moving when the monitor turn off and on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right! I just turned off my monitor while my mac was still awake, and Photoshop shifted out of place. Super frustrating! 

Photoshop 23.1.0, Mac M1 Mini, Monterey OS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks all for trying the steps. As this issue didn't get resolved with the steps suggested by me. I'd recommend you to connect with our technical support team (https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?rghtup=autoOpen). The team here would be able to perform remote troubleshooting and assist you accordingly.

Note for Monterey users: There are several bugs with macOS Monterey doesn't matter you have M1 Mac or Intel Mac. Display issue connected using Thunderbolt port. Memory leak issues. Keyboard input doesn't always work for dialogs.
I had to clean Install macOS Monterey twice by wiping my SSD & restoring data using TimeMachine on my device to resolve these issues.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems like a raher extreme way to handle the problem. Has Adobe at least recognized the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2022 Feb 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everybody,

I think the windows management is stupid on Adobe Softwares ... but the MacOS windows management is a shame ! This is NOT acceptable for a 3500$ macbook pro. I also have the same anoying bugs since many years.

After wake up from sleep, all windows have moved, changed of screens, the screen definition changes ... it takes me 5 minutes to fix all that mess.

MacOS is a piece of junk. A shame from Apple , acompany that makes billions of dollars a day ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2022 Mar 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a shorterm workaround until either Apple or Adobe gets this fixed; set your sleep mode to a higher minute count if you are going to be away/innactive for a short time. Otherwise if you know you are going to be away awhile lock your screen (Option+Command+Q). When you come back and login/unlock your Mac, all of your Adobe panels should still be in place. At least this is what has worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried this, doesn't help with mine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I'll give that a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI: Lock screen is control + command + Q

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct, and now I can't edit my OP... 🤨

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't really help as this issue is an external monitor going to sleep, not the Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me, it happens whether or not the monitor goes to sleep. It happens regardless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines