• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Window and panels moving when Mac goes to sleep

Explorer ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a Mac Mini M1 with 16GB and Big Sur 11.2.3, and am up to date on my Creative Cloud updates. About 25-30% of the time, when the computer goes to sleep, Illustrator will drop down about 1/5 of the way down the screen, as if I clicked the title bar and dragged it down the screen. When this happens, some of my panels will move around as well and I have to reset my workspace. Also, the grey space around the artboard shimmers when I move my cursor and the little popup window urging me to click and learn more about new features will have the font size reduced about 60%. All this happens with both Illustrator and Photoshop (the only Adobe apps I use regularly.) I usually end up quitting and restarting the program, and resetting my workspace. Oddly, all this doesn't happen EVERY time the computer sleeps, but it does happen fairly often, and is very annoying. 

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Dec 19, 2023 Dec 19, 2023

Hello everyone,

I'm pleased to share that the product team has resolved this issue in version 28.1. I've personally tested it and couldn't replicate the problem. Would you all mind installing this version from the CCDA and informing us if it resolves the issue on your end?

Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

Best regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 289 Replies 289
Explorer ,
Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't only happen after sleep for me. Just powering the external monitor off and back on will cause the windows to reposition. On my Dell monitor, they always reposition down to 394px (of 1,440) if they were positioned above this point to begin with.

The issue started with Illustrator and Photoshop for me but spread to InDesign and then to third-party apps, including macOS Monterey apps. Adobe CC windows don't resize but third-party and macOS windows, which all reposition to the same point, do resize.

After extensive troubleshooting with Apple and then Adobe (which provided proof positive that installing Illustrator caused the issue), it has apparently been escalated to Adobe's engineers and I've been informed by Support that they are working on a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is beyond annnoying. I don't have an external display and the problem happens after returning to the computer after it's been sleeping for any extended period of time. Surely the folks at Adobe could pay someone who knows what they're doing to tackle this terrible bug and make the window behavior on macOS correct?

Oh yeah, I could certainly fix this problem and I'm available for hire.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anybody from Adobe confirm whether this issue has been fixed in the new releases of Photoshop v24.0 and/or Illustrator v27.0? There will be absolutely no point in downloading the latest versions if they're still broken. The 2022 versions of the apps have been one, long list of problems for me. Probably the worst version in years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't an Adbobe thing - It's an OS thing. This happens for Slack, Messages, Mail, Word et al

It's been reported on the Apple site as well.

When the Mac wakes from sleep it only sees it's own display and repositions the windows/apps accordingly - then -  the external display switches back on and the Mac throws all the windows/apps back to where it positioned them from it's own display to the external monitor.

That's why app windows appear half way down the monitor (probably due to the positioning of the screens used in the Displays Control Panel), app windows that where on the Mac screen appears on the external monitor etc etc.

The only solution I've found is to "Hide others" in the finder if you know you're going to be away from your Mac for enough time for sleep mode to switch on. Then click through all the open apps in the dock - they should all be in the same place you left them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

People here keep denying this because they would like to blame it on Adobe, but it was reported on Reddit by someone who uses no Adobe apps that they were having problems. The post is here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

recently reported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My observations are based upon my own experience.

Apps currently working fine, with no repositioning issues:

Mail, Safari, WhatsApp, Signal, Chrome, Firefox, Messenger, Calendar, Facebook Messenger, Google Maps, Adobe Dimensions, Adobe XD, Adobe Acrobat DC, Adobe Illustrator 2021, Adobe InDesign 2021, Adobe Photoshop 2021, Affinity Publisher, Photos, iTunes, Spotify, Discord, Office 365 (all apps), Pages, Numbers, Skype, Slack. Trello, Transmit.

Apps with repositioning issues:

Adobe Illustrator 2022, Adobe InDesign 2022, Adobe Photoshop 2022

Unless Apple are specifically targeting certain CC2022 apps I can only make assumptions based upon what's going on with my own system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think you understand how scientific proof works. Just one counter-example (and there are others if you look for them) is enough to say that the problem goes beyond Adobe. Here's one way it could happen. Let's say that five conditios, A through E, are required for this problem to happen. Adobe apps satisfy conditions A through D but E is an Apple issue. However, in certain situations, a combination of another app and certain situations that cause A through D allow this to happen. It seems to be rare, but it is very clear from the counter-examples that this can be caused without even installing Adobe apps.

Once again, this is simple use of principles of scientific proof.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No need to argue. Adobe is aware of the issue. As of now, I only have this issue with adobe apps specifically. I am aware that some are having issues with non-adobe apps. I'd just like it to be resolved. I did receive some encouraging news a while back from an Adobe engineer:

Thanks for your time & patience. We are still investigating the issue. Recently I installed macOS Ventura Beta 5 on my MacBook Pro M1 Max connected to a 4k monitor, and the issue seems to be resolved for Ai, PS & ID. However, I am still able to replicate the issue on macOS Monterey 12.5.1 on my Macbook.

I will keep you all posted with updates on the progress. Please, feel free to reach out to me if you have any further questions.

Regards,

Anshul Saini"

https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator-discussions/window-and-panels-moving-when-mac-goes-to-sle...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not an argument, it's a point that very unscientific reasoning is being used to justify a POV. Maybe it's because I grew up with a mathematician as a father, but I think logic really needs to be applied.

Here's the issue. Adobe may find a way to fix it. But that doesn't solve the problem that is obviously in MacOS, based on other reports. It doesn't solve the fundamental problem that is causing windows to do this on Macs, whether with or without Adobe apps. So people here may go away happy that it works, but it will probably result from some sort of workaround on a MacOS issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running the brand new 2023 versions of Adobe apps and the offical Apple release of Ventura and still the probelm happens everytime the mac/monitor sleeps - same old sh*t, getting pretty sick of it now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

…and I hoped Ventura could resolve this problem. Maybe with the new 2023 apps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I meant all the new 2023 apps with Ventura - no change at all - still move

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well, that sucks. I was hoping for a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great. Do you know if there's still the issue with the screen flickering in Illustrator once you've upgraded the OS to Ventura and Illustrator to 2023? That's been a major issue for me, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think it does. I have noticed it as much lately and just tested. Do you mean once the screen wakes and Illustrator has moved, the open files flickers as you mouse around? If so I can't get it to do it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, and also if the app hasn't been used for a while. There's a separate thread about that issue here - https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator-discussions/illustrator-flickering-workspace-background/m... 

I found a workaround for the time being but they've asked me to test once upgraded to both macOS Ventura and Illustrator 2023 but I don't want to upgrade yet in case of unknown issues with the new OS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes I was having that issue too with my M1 Mini and then my mac studio. I can't get it to happen now, so for me I believe it is fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2022 Dec 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is equally plausible that this other app/these other apps have the same flaw as the Adobe apps and are also causing the issue to occur. That does not necessarily mean Apple is to blame, it could equally be that all of these apps sharre the same or similar flaws that are the cause of the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2022 Dec 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you read the link I gave? Some are Apple apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2023 May 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's complete nonsense. I don't have an external display. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2022 Oct 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I had this problem for a short time when working with iMac 5k 27" and a 'cheap' LG monitor using a displayport cable, but it disappeard using a more expensive LG Monitor using a thunderbold 2 cable. I think that the LG 31MU97 could be a better port or cable reaction and so the iMac 'sees' the monitor faster/better and will not move the Indesign/Photoshop Panels.

Now with the macstudio working since july with a benq SW321C (usb-c/thunderbold 3/4 to dp 1.4 cable) and a LG 31MU97 (usb-c to thunderbold adapter+thunderbold 2 cable) I also did NOT have this panels problem. Strangely 3 weeks ago it returned and I really to not know why.  I removed the apple adapter and tried using 2x usb-c/thunderbold 3/4 to dp 1.4 cables, but the problem stil remains. Also the lock screen or hide options do not resolve my problem. After every wake up, the all panels of the 2nd screen are on the main screen (and sometimes also in chaotic order). I did not try with hdmi.

So maybe this is also a screen speed or cable issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: this is still happening with the CC 2023 release and macOS Ventura.

Despite promises that this critical issue was being addressed by Adobe engineers, nothing has improved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly the same for me. No change whatsoever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2022 Nov 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Experiencing exactly the same issue. Using a MacBook Pro with Studio Display. Every time it wakes from sleep my Adobe windows are repositioned... everything else where it should be. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines