• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Zoom Tool icon changes

Explorer ,
Dec 18, 2023 Dec 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been happening for several versions of Illustrator, but after working in a file for a while, my zoom tool will suddenly show the Selection tool black arrow icon instead of the magnifying glass icon.

I'm currently running Mac OSX 13.6, and Illustrator Version 28.

As I said this has been happening for several versions, over the last year. If I quit Illustrator and then restart it, it's fine again for a while, and then it will suddenly revert to this behavior.

Any ideas about a fix for this? Has anyone else seen this happen?

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @RBurgett57,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Would you mind trying to run Illustrator under Safe Mode (Windows / macOS) and checking if it helps?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What year is your mac.  I have a simialr issue when I use a hot key to switch tools in Photoshop.

Hold down the spacebar, then add the command key in that order, do you switch to magnify tool?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2023 Dec 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a 2019 Mac Pro. It doesn't matter if I use a command key or select the tool in the toolbar. Switching is not an issue. The icon  showing incorrectly is a problem. There are times that I think I am selecting an object or  point and it zooms instead because the wrong tool icon is showing.

As for working in safe mode, that will reaquire me to work for hours in safe mode. Not something that I can do right now.

I can't nail down a pattern of when or how this occurs. It seems random. It might take several hours of working in a file for it to happen, and it might happen within the first half hour or so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 21, 2023 Dec 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello @RBurgett57,

Thank you for providing additional details. I understand that working in Safe Mode for an extended period is not feasible. Let's try a different approach.

When the issue occurs next time, could you please capture a screenshot of the Illustrator interface showing the incorrect Zoom Tool icon? Additionally, if you notice any patterns or specific actions leading up to this behavior, that information could be valuable.

To gather more information and help diagnose the issue, could you please provide details on the following:

• Does the Zoom Tool icon always change to the same incorrect icon, or does it vary?
  • Check the background applications running when the issue occurs. Try closing them one by one to see if any specific application triggers the problem.
  • Consider upgrading your macOS to the latest version if feasible, as newer updates may include fixes for compatibility issues.
  • Confirm if you are using any third-party plugins or extensions with Illustrator. Disabling them one by one and testing might help identify if any specific extension is causing the problem.
  • Have you tried resetting Illustrator preferences? If not, you can try that as well. Keep in mind that resetting preferences will restore Illustrator to its default settings.

Your cooperation in providing this additional information will assist in narrowing down the possible causes and finding a suitable solution.

Thank you,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines