• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Use Vectorize to quickly convert raster images into vector in Illustrator on iPad

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tired of tracing raster images on your desktop and moving them to the iPad for further editing? 

One of the application’s most requested features is now available in the latest update! You can now quickly trace images in Illustrator on iPad. 

For detailed information on Vectorize options in Illustrator on iPad, see this article  

Note:This is the first iteration of this feature, and more capabilities are on their way, including improved performance and streamlined workflows across iPad and desktop. 

Please feel free to share any suggestions or improvements regarding the app on Adobe Illustrator UserVoice  

Vectorize your images in 4 simple steps 

1. Place an image. 
  2. Select the image using the Selection tool. 
  3. Tap the Object panel  SrishtiBali_0-1634081109736.png and select Vectorize SrishtiBali_1-1634081109738.png  to convert the raster image to a vector image. 
  4. Select the image and tap the Properties panel  on the taskbar to use Vectorize options. 

convert-raster-images-to-vector-hero.gif

We would love to hear from you about how you found this feature and what you created. Reply to this post to share your observations with us.   

-Srishti

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 16, 2022 Aug 16, 2022

Hi @NOVELETTE,

Thanks for reaching out. Please check out this tutorial on Youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTNG_eM_3k0).

Also, I must inform you that vectorized tries to trace the image and convert it to vector form. However, there can be some irregularities in the vectorized image. You will need to play with the threshold & other settings as showcased in the tutorial to achieve the desired output.

I hope it helps!

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I do this on a Desktop? When I watched Adobe Max the presenters showed this feature. Is it available now, or will it be available in the furture.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. This feature is exclusive to the iPad. To get this feature, update Illustrator on the iPad to version 2.0. The equivalent of this feature on Desktop will be Image Trace if you want to convert an image to a vector. To learn more about Vectorize feature on iPad, you may visit this help article (https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/sketch-to-vector-ipad.html). I hope it helps!

Feel free to reach out if you need any further assistance. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2022 Feb 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Thanks for uploading the tutorial. I've been looking forward to this updated feature with Illustrator but, for some reason my version never displays the vectorize icon in the options panel; It never appears so I can never use the function. Any suggestions as to what might be the solution?

I've updated with no success then, I even deleted and reinstalled just to be sure that it's the most up to date. Still no icon/option to vectorize.

iPad AirOS 14.7.1

adobe Illustrator version 2.1

Thanks for any help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 14, 2022 Feb 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @r23121817qvx9 

Can you show a screen shot of your interface, with a graphics layer selected? I have version 2.1 and it seems to work well as advertised. Are you sure you have a raster image selected?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 13, 2022 Aug 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find myself stuck after following the vectorise four step instructions Illustrator iPad Pro. I need help on how to vectorize my hand drawn image, I thought it would be easy as I not a beginner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 16, 2022 Aug 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @NOVELETTE,

Thanks for reaching out. Please check out this tutorial on Youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTNG_eM_3k0).

Also, I must inform you that vectorized tries to trace the image and convert it to vector form. However, there can be some irregularities in the vectorized image. You will need to play with the threshold & other settings as showcased in the tutorial to achieve the desired output.

I hope it helps!

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 20, 2022 Aug 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Anshul, thanks for responding to my question, I will watch the video and try out. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines