Highlighted

[Ann] A Monoline Text Drawing Script

Most Valuable Participant ,
Sep 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spurred into action by an ongoing discussion at Typophile: Technical Q: Monoline fonts, I decided to have a go at writing a Javascript. I'm pretty pleased with the result; perhaps it's of interest for the technical illustration drawers among you!

Enjoy.

Here is a link to the script I wrote for Illustrator CS4 (it might or might not work for any other version): monolinetext.v1.0.zip. It's a Javascript for Illustrator, and you can put it into the regular Illustrator Scripts folder to see it appear in the "Scripts" menu, or somewhere else (and you'd have to browse for it each time).

It shows a little tiny dialog (on which I spend most of the time) where you can enter a size in "points" (relative to the 29 units high Hershey characters) and enter some text. Use Shift+Enter to insert a 'Hard Return', or enter as much text as you want. The text is then drawn out in monoline characters in the center of the screen.

The script is intelligent, in that you can change a previously drawn text by simply selecting it and running the script. Note, however, that stuff like manual scaling and changed attributes (stroke width, color) will be lost. If that's important to you, I might look into it ...

It only supports a small subset of the Hershey Simplex set -- just ASCII, space up to tilde. (And it draws traditional K shapes.)

monolinetext.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

[Ann] A Monoline Text Drawing Script

Sep 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spurred into action by an ongoing discussion at Typophile: Technical Q: Monoline fonts, I decided to have a go at writing a Javascript. I'm pretty pleased with the result; perhaps it's of interest for the technical illustration drawers among you!

Enjoy.

Here is a link to the script I wrote for Illustrator CS4 (it might or might not work for any other version): monolinetext.v1.0.zip. It's a Javascript for Illustrator, and you can put it into the regular Illustrator Scripts folder to see it appear in the "Scripts" menu, or somewhere else (and you'd have to browse for it each time).

It shows a little tiny dialog (on which I spend most of the time) where you can enter a size in "points" (relative to the 29 units high Hershey characters) and enter some text. Use Shift+Enter to insert a 'Hard Return', or enter as much text as you want. The text is then drawn out in monoline characters in the center of the screen.

The script is intelligent, in that you can change a previously drawn text by simply selecting it and running the script. Note, however, that stuff like manual scaling and changed attributes (stroke width, color) will be lost. If that's important to you, I might look into it ...

It only supports a small subset of the Hershey Simplex set -- just ASCII, space up to tilde. (And it draws traditional K shapes.)

monolinetext.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 12, 2010 2
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 13, 2010 0
Sep 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jongware,

I've tried the link and it keeps coming back with a cannot find report. Seems that the "p" is getting left off the .zip extension in the link. Can you post the URL directly. Thanks

Larry

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 13, 2010 0
Sep 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

?? That's the second time this month it happens to me. I'm beginning to seriously doubt my keyboard-a-bilities. Surely it's not Jive, jivving things up ...?

http://www.jongware.com/binaries/monolinetext.v1.0.zip

That name again, http://www.jongware.com/binaries/monolinetext.v1.0.zip.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 13, 2010 1
Sep 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Again, Jongware

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 13, 2010 0
Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works fine in AICS6 Mac OSX 10.8.2

Thanks a lot jongware.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 09, 2012 0
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much Jongware!!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 02, 2014 0
Participant ,
Jul 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello  [Jongware]

Thank you very much for this script:)

I would like to ask if it is possible to add extended roman characters for Spanish or Turkish in your script?

If you don't have a time would you please show couple of examples to add your script for extended characters?

As I understand we should add Hershey C-Style coordinates arrays in your script like;

Array(23,24,// Ascii 126
Array(3, 6, 3, 8, 4,11, 6,12, 8,12,10,11,14, 8,16, 7,18, 7,20, 8,21,10,-1,-1, 3, 8, 4,10, 6,11, 8,11,10,10,14, 7,16, 6,18, 6,20, 7,21,10,21,12 ) )

But how to find those arrays in c-style, I have downloaded "The full Hershey set for Roman Characters" but could not understand it ;

613 19CaGMG[ RGQJNLMOMQNRQR[ RRQUNWMZM\N]Q][

614 11I\MMM[ RMQPNRMUMWNXQX[

615 18I\QMONMPLSLUMXOZQ[T[VZXXYUYSXPVNTMQM

616 18H[LMLb RLPNNPMSMUNWPXSXUWXUZS[P[NZLX

617 18I\XMXb RXPVNTMQMONMPLSLUMXOZQ[T[VZXX

618  9KXOMO[ ROSPPRNTMWM

619 18J[XPWNTMQMNNMPNRPSUTWUXWXXWZT[Q[NZMX

Thank you and

Best Regards.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 15, 2015 0
Jul 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe try if the fonts here contain the glyphs you need: OneLineFonts, The source for single line fonts

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 15, 2015 1
Jul 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been a while, I cannot recall if I wrote a program to convert the original data format to 'regular' coordinates, or just used one of the C style definitions that float around the web. The format is not extremely difficult to parse, but yes: it takes some tinkering. You can find samples for decoding at http://paulbourke.net/dataformats/hershey/

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 15, 2015 0
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for posting this! This will save me a great deal of time with the current project I'm working on.  Much appreciated!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 14, 2015 0
Resources