• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can Illustrator open a PDF following PDF/X-4 standard and interpret it correctly?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I meet a problem about PDF obeying PDF/X-4 standard with transparency features in it.  Illustrator can save the document to a PDF file on the rules of PDF/X-4, but  I am confusing that if Illustrator can open a PDF following the rules of PDF/X-4 and interpret it correctly?  I attach a sample here. 

Waiting for your response. Thanks

TOPICS
Performance , Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Illustrator is not a PDF editor.

You will get a warning when saving as PDF/X-4 that editing can be problematic.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator is not a PDF editor.

You will get a warning when saving as PDF/X-4 that editing can be problematic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's true, thanks for your answer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Julie–Liang

As far as i know, there's absolutely NO guarantee (or promise) that AI shows/interprets an existing PDF/X-4 file correctly (or as wished). It also depends how and with which software-tool the PDF was created.

If you wanna have AI functionalities kept, choose this option in the Export. But then, its no PDF/X-4 file anymore, at least in theory…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Toughmedia. I got the assurance from you .Great. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You will see when you are in the Save As > PDF dialog that setting the Standard to "None" turns on the checkbox for "Preserve Illustrator editing capabilities."

Setting the Standard to "PDF/X-4" and that box is grayed out and can't be selected.

Because a PDF _can_ preserve certain functions (Layers, Effects) of Illustrator, embedding this data into the PDF violates the very strict PDF/X standard.

So, short answer, as Ton said, is yes, you can open a PDF/X-4 file. And you can Save As > PDF and specify compliance with PDF/X-4. But is it not X-4 while it is open in Illustrator, and will no longer be X-4 is you simply open and Save.

(NB: in CC 2019, while the PDF preset specifies PDF/X-4:2010, Illustrator actually uses PDF/X-4:2007, if that matters for anyone. See this thread: https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/my-adobe-pdf-presets-don-t-show-up-in-illustrator-cc/m-p/... )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines