Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't align stroke to the inside

New Here ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

default8vag7ibdibvx_0-1597655010624.png

Hello. I've been trying to make the stroke in the above image to go on the inside, but I can't do it, as the option is greyed out. I've read something about the paths being grouped on the appearance panel, but I don't know what to do with it.

I'd be thankful if anyone could help me finding a way to make the stroke go on the inside.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

For whatever reason, Illustrator does not allow you to set strokes to inside/outside in combination with gradient across a stroke.

You can get around this limitation by using a width profile that aligns the stroke to one side of a path -- i.e. create this with the width tool, then save it to width profiles:

Annotation 2020-08-17 102046.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Draw a horizontal path (click, hold shift, click again with the pen tool). Make its stroke very thick so you can see what you're doing.

Select the Width tool (Shift + W).

Click on one end of the path, hold alt and drag. Pull one side of the stroke in to the centre. Repeat for the other end of the path.

With the path selected, click the save icon at the bottom of the width profiles menu and give it a name:

Annotation 2020-08-17 104611.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For whatever reason, Illustrator does not allow you to set strokes to inside/outside in combination with gradient across a stroke.

You can get around this limitation by using a width profile that aligns the stroke to one side of a path -- i.e. create this with the width tool, then save it to width profiles:

Annotation 2020-08-17 102046.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but how do I save something to the width profiles? I'm a beginner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Draw a horizontal path (click, hold shift, click again with the pen tool). Make its stroke very thick so you can see what you're doing.

Select the Width tool (Shift + W).

Click on one end of the path, hold alt and drag. Pull one side of the stroke in to the centre. Repeat for the other end of the path.

With the path selected, click the save icon at the bottom of the width profiles menu and give it a name:

Annotation 2020-08-17 104611.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

default8vag7ibdibvx_2-1597660702064.png

Sorry. I can only create this weird shape.

default8vag7ibdibvx_1-1597660621969.png

I press where it says anchor, I press alt and drag to where it says intersect. I get this:

default8vag7ibdibvx_3-1597660801369.png

default8vag7ibdibvx_4-1597660810227.png

Then I do the same with the other side and I get that shape.

I can't select path whenever I try to select the end of the path. It always says anchor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You don't need smart guides to say 'path', just click on one end or the other. When I said drag to the centre, I meant vertically to the centre of the stroke, not horizontally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines