Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't Copy/Paste in Illustrator

Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2016 May 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there!

I've just run into a very weird problem with Illustrator CC. I can't seem to copy and paste anything. I'm not copying or pasting from another program or even from another illustrator file, copying simply doesn't add anything to the clipboard and paste is always grayed out in the Edit menu.

After googling a bit I saw a forum post on the Google Chrome forums saying the issue was related to Chrome being open and the Skype Click-to-call extension interfering with Illustrator's clipboard, but I don't have the Skype Click-to-call extension and even if I close Chrome and relaunch Illustrator, no luck.

I'm all out of ideas, can anyone help? As you can imagine this is super frustrating!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could be that the preferences file has gotten corrupt. Try deleting the preferences file.

Are you able to Alt-drag (Windows) or Option-drag an object to duplicate it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, Alt-drag still works

Can't seem to find the preferences file, can you help me out? Windows 10 64bit

EDIT: Found the prefs file, deleted it and relaunched Illustrator - still no copy/paste

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Small Update: Copying and pasting TEXT seems to work. Doesn't work on objects, shapes, paths, etc, or the actual text boxes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 05, 2016 May 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried...

Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) as you start Illustrator. Your current settings are deleted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2020 Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does not woked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2023 Jan 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solution works, thank you:-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2023 Sep 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OMG lol option+drag. That easy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 05, 2016 May 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The keyboard combination that SishamDDS mentioned works with some Adobe programs, but not with Illustrator.

If you can't find the AIPrefs file in the locations listed below, enable Windows to show hidden files and folders.

To reset preferences, quit Illustrator. Locate and delete the en_US folder. It is important to delete the whole en_US folder. Otherwise, the preferences might not be reset. Launch Illustrator.

Mac OS, Local:

/Users//Library/Preferences/Adobe Illustrator 17 Settings/en_US*/Adobe Illustrator Prefs

Mac OS, Synced:

/Users//Library/Preferences/Adobe Illustrator 17 Settings/en_US*/Adobe Illustrator Cloud Prefs

Windows Local:

Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator 17 Settings\en_US*\x64*\Adobe Illustrator Prefs

Windows Synced:

Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator 17 Settings\en_US*\x64*\Adobe Illustrator Cloud Prefs

If resetting preferences doesn't work, and you are using Creative Cloud subscription, Adobe has provided a Creative Cloud cleaner tool. You can find information about it at Use the Adobe Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems

Sorry for the long-winded response. Hope it helps. Let us know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 09, 2016 May 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this is not the way to do it then we need Adobe to update the help files...?

How to set preferences in Illustrator

They give my suggestion first and then what you have suggested after.

If I try the alt+ctrl+shift option it seems to do it for me???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That keycombination to reset the Preferences works fine in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try restarting, and go straight to  illustrator, can you copy and paste, does this get corrupted after? If this happens afire booting chrome, check your chrome extensions.

By title of post knew this had to be windows, as I use both platforms, and have never had this on Mac. I recommend making a manual system restore point, as the automatic ones do not work to good. Can be a constant battle with windows on fixing HKeys, Msconfig, uninstalling browser extensions you never authorized, cleaning cookies. If you can do a system restore to before this started  happening record that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sisham and Ton,

I tested the keyboard combination to reset preferences in Illustrator CC 2015, and you are right that it does work.

It did not work in previous versions of Illustrator, which is something to be aware of for those using a back version.

In other Adobe programs, a message appears when the application launches "Delete the Adobe [name of application] settings file." But in Illustrator the message is "Do you want the following program to make changes to this computer?" The wording is more specific and less confusing in other Adobe programs.

Nevertheless, I'm glad that Adobe finally simplified resetting preferences in Illustrator. Thanks for pointing that out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 10, 2016 May 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barbara Ash schrieb:

It did not work in previous versions of Illustrator, which is something to be aware of for those using a back version.

Ihave been using it during the last ten years and it worked just as advertised.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 02, 2016 Jun 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem! This needs to be fixed NOW!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 03, 2016 Jun 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deluxe,

• What operating system and illustrator version are you on?
  • Do you have any plug ins installed?
  • Does this happen after you start for example your web browser?
  • Does this work for awhile after you reboot and then stop working?
  • Have you tried resetting your illustrator preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 09, 2016 Jun 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Mike,

I am happy to tell everyone that
Illustrator Version: 19.2.1 magically started working! Wahoo! It was the worst not being able to copy and paste ...

// Here are the answers to your previous questions.

What operating system and illustrator version are you on?
Deluxe) GPU Info:
Illustrator Version: 19.2.1

Do you have any plug ins installed? No not now, but I will be installing them.

Does this happen after you start for example your web browser? It's didn't matter if I had a web browser open or not. It just would't copy and paste.

Does this work for awhile after you reboot and then stop working? Initially the problem started when I downloaded the Windows 10 Version 1511

Have you tried resetting your illustrator preferences? I did that and that did not work.

Thank You,
Deluxe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing. Hoping to hear from Alfreds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who is Alfreds?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alfreds is a restaurant in the Netherlands.

But I think Mike referred to the one who started this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to be in the Netherlands!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are always welcome 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope to learn a lot! I get the concept of bringing in .JSON data but I can't get it to load!

So I keep going until I do ... Animate is so new I can't find a lot on this.

Thank You Again!
Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2016 Jul 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey.
From about 2 or 3 months I have a similar problem: Copy / Paste is not working. But in my case it's totally strange thing. Sometimes it works over several days, and then not working the next few days.
I cleaned configuration files, uninstalled an application using Adobe tools registry cleaner - it did not work. I bought a new computer processor I7 because something can not work with the old ... once running once does not work.
For 3 years Illustrator work RELIABLE !!! I do not know if it's any update. Generally, I work on simple vector graphics, with no mods and add-ons, but VERY need a running copy / paste function.
I think after 3 years come to part with your application, because to work with it is impossible.
Sorry for bad english.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines