• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't create custom art brush, drag and drop not working

Explorer ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help, I'm kind of a noob. I'm trying to create my own art brush, I can't make it work. I was trying to drag and drop the object circled below to the brush panel on the right to make this object an art brush. Image 1.JPG

But when I was finally dropping the object on that brush panel, it didn't work. My cursor just changed into a "circle with slash/no symbol" icon.

Image 2.JPG

I don't know what I'm doing wrong here. Take note I have already "expanded" the object. I've also tried simpler objects like that thick straight line above, but it's also not turning into an art brush when I tried dropping it in the brush panel. Please help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

You are trying to apply the brush elements to a brush library. That won't work because library palettes are read-only palettes.

You would have to drag the brush elements onto the main Brushes palette (default shortcut F5, at least in my version of Illustrator).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide , Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Hi Zernolf!
Thanks for a good screenshot, it helps much.

Look carefully: you're trying to add your own brush not to Brushes panel but Brush Library "Decorative Banners". Open general Brushes panel and all comes well.

The marker: the current panel does not have a "New brush" button but have "No edit" symbol at the bottom. General Brushes panel (Window > Brushes) has a "New brush" button and a Trash Bin at the bottom.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are trying to apply the brush elements to a brush library. That won't work because library palettes are read-only palettes.

You would have to drag the brush elements onto the main Brushes palette (default shortcut F5, at least in my version of Illustrator).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Zernolf!
Thanks for a good screenshot, it helps much.

Look carefully: you're trying to add your own brush not to Brushes panel but Brush Library "Decorative Banners". Open general Brushes panel and all comes well.

The marker: the current panel does not have a "New brush" button but have "No edit" symbol at the bottom. General Brushes panel (Window > Brushes) has a "New brush" button and a Trash Bin at the bottom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, it worked. Finally made the object into a brush.

But it's strange to me. I'm just following a step by step tutorial by an instructor in Udemy about art brushes, and that instructor was able to drag and drop an object in that Brush Library "Decoractive Banners" panel to make it into an art bursh without any trouble. I just noticed that that instructor's library brush panel ("Decoractive Banners") had no "no edit" symbol unlike mine.

Oh, well. At least I can make mine work now.

Thank you again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"and that instructor was able to drag and drop an object in that Brush Library "Decoractive Banners" panel to "

Maybe the instructor edited the video. But other than that it's not possible.

Without a screenshot from the video we can't explain to you what is actually happening there, but surely the instructor is not dragging artwork into the brsuhes panel and making a brush there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines