• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't edit pdf in Illustrator (while it can be edited in Adobe Acrobat)

New Here ,
Feb 05, 2019 Feb 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With a few pdf's I used I was able to edit them in Adobe Acrobat, but when I open them in illustrator I can't edit them at all. I try to release the clipping mask but noting happens. It seems like one big picture.

Here a clipping of the way I can edit in Acrobat

Screenshot 2019-02-05 at 10.36.45.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2019 Feb 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please try the tips in this video to find out about your file:

The Vector Clip Art Missing Manual: Selecting Objects - YouTube

(it's about clip art, but applies to any file)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 07, 2019 Feb 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this issue. Could you please confirm in which application PDF was actually created? Illustrator can only edit vector PDFs which were created in Illustrator itself and saved with Illustrator Editing Capabilities.

save as PDF.png

Refer to this help article for more details: Adobe PDF options | Illustrator

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to the "Edit PDF" window in Acrobat, select what you want to edit. 

Then in the format bar,  open the dropdown menu "Edit Using". Pick Illustrator. Illustrator will then just open what you've highlighted as an editable graphic. 

Screen Shot 2020-11-17 at 11.27.49 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey Sristhi, there is a PDF file that I created on Illustrator. I could edit it as vector before but I formatted my PC and after that the pdf doesnt open as a vector anymore, just image. Do you have a solution for that?

https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/cant-edit-a-pdf-anymore-on-illustrator/m-p/11866501

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator is NOT a general PDF editor, no matter how much it appears to be, no matter how much people want it to be, and no matter how much Adobe marketing may try to present it as one. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines