• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't extend line segment

Engaged ,
May 25, 2020 May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Illustrator newbie here. I'm sure the answer to this question is remarkably simple, but I am baffled. I have created a set of stylized quotation marks. None of the paths is compound. I find that I must extend the long segment to the right. I do not want to change the scale, only extend that long segment.

make line longer.png

I have tried clicking the rightmost anchor point and then dragging by using:

• The selection tool (black arrow)
  • The direct selection tool (white arrow)
  • The pen tool (the pen tool specifically) and not the other pen tools in the collection.

I have also tried dragging a marquee that crosses the specific line segment using the direct selection tool (per Adobe instructions on how to select a line segment).

None of my ham-handed and ignorant attempts at extending this straight line segment in what -- to me -- seems a direct and logical way appears to work. The pen tool created a line segment (in blue) but provided no apparent way to stroke it.

What is the secret? How can I extend this line segment to the right?

Thanks for any help on this holiday weekend. Stay well.

-j

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 25, 2020 May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

At first: be sure that Smart Guides are turned on (menu: View --> Smart Guides)

Then click the anchor point with the white arrow (Direct Selection Tool)

Now that single anchor point and only that point should be marked with a filled sqare (all other anchor points are now deselected  - or marked with a unfilled square)

Click again (and hold the left mouse button) while dragging this Anchor point. Or use your keyboard arrow keys (with Shift key that multiply the steps by ten)

If that works for you

have fun

😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines