• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't Save Any Illustrator File with New 2020 Update

Contributor ,
Nov 09, 2019 Nov 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I just updated Illustrator to the newest version and now I can't save any file. When I go to Save and hit the OK button in the Illustrator Options box, I get an error that says "An Unknown Error Has Occurred". This happens with all files, new and existing. I need this for my job so this is a very urgent problem if no file can be saved. Is this a bug in the new update? PLEASE HELP before I have to work on Monday!!

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Contributor , Nov 09, 2019 Nov 09, 2019

I just found the solution here:
https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/38961718-ai-2020-v-24-unknown-error-while-saving

I deleted all of my pdf presets by going to Edit>Adobe pdf Presets. Now I can save.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Mar 13, 2021 Mar 13, 2021

I followed these steps and it fixed the file save error. The main issue for me was the "(Beta) optimize File Open" unchecked that and I was able to save again. 

Steps:
i)Launch Illustrator
ii)Open preference in the "Edit" tab 
iii)Go to “File Handling & Clipboard”
iv)Uncheck "Optimize file Open and Save Time on Slow Network (Beta) "
v)Click ok
vi)Try to save file and let us know if that helps
If it is still reproducible
i)Open preference by pressing “Cmd+K”
ii)Go to “File Handling & Clipboard”
uncheck “Sav

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Apr 18, 2021 Apr 18, 2021

My error said "Unable to find file" 

This worked for me:

1. Save as

2. Save Cloud Document

3. Name your file and save in cloud

4. Save as

5. Now you should be able to save local on your computer

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Contributor ,
Nov 09, 2019 Nov 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just found the solution here:
https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/38961718-ai-2020-v-24-u...

I deleted all of my pdf presets by going to Edit>Adobe pdf Presets. Now I can save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What if I want to keep my pdf presets? This seems way to "nuclear"...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a couple things to work around:

1. Change default printer from my network printer to a PDF printer (Adobe or Foxit in my case)
  2. Save As -> in dialog box: Uncheck "Save PDF Compatible Version"

I was getting a problem where it would start the save process, but stall half way, or (super annoying) 97%.

I was able to save some files in PDF format and keep editing abilities - so at least I could preserve my work. But I needed AI file type (for use in AE).

I'm running the update with the supposed patch. Patch seems incomplete!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 17, 2019 Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you reset the preferences when updating? (Rename the preferences folder in order to try if it helps) https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/setting-preferences.html

Can you try if this helps: https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/illustrator-2020-not-saving-files-in-ai-format/td-p/10713... (it's the manual fix for before the 24.0.1 update was published)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2019 Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did, and it resolved a majority of issues. But I have a file or two that are still giving me - Illustrator is Unable to Save this document due to some unexpected errors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both of these links are reporting 404 errors

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unchecking "Save PDF Compatible Version" worked for me. They probably tried to wriggle the option to view ai using acrobat (which - doesn't work well - I wonder who tested this release and approved it :DDD ). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2021 Oct 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!

Way better than outlining all the fonts or resetting the presets.

You saved me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 09, 2021 Oct 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what you need the AI file for, but just in case you want to place it in InDesign or open it in Photoshop, you will need to turn on that PDF option. It's not redundant as the previous poster suggested, it's needed for exchanging pruposes.

If you have issues with PDF compatible, that can be for a couple of reasons:

- you save the file to a network

- your fonts are not well functioning

- your font management is not compatible

- issues with placed images

There might be others, but turning off PDF compatiblity will not solve the underlying issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was unable to delete my pdf presets. The option was greyed out. Any other suggestions would be appreciated, all other work around's did not work. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I was unable to delete my pdf presets. The option was greyed out. Any other suggestions would be appreciated, all other work around's did not work. Thank you."

Please tell us your system, the exact version number and the exact nature of the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2020 Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have macOS Catalina, version 10.15.5. In Illustrator, I am unable to save-as, go to the home page and get a new document by going to file-new. Also, some files open without being able to see the file. I can see the layers but not the image I am working on. 

I've gone over some of the suggestions and work arounds on the forum, but none have worked for me so far.

Thank you for your response!

Carla

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am facing some kind of issues too with Catalina 10.15 

I get unknown error when I try to save a big file of 7500x9000 px.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am facing some kind of issues too with Catalina 10.15

I get unknown error when I try to save a big file of 7500x9000 px.

Which version of Illustrator?

Exactly where do you save the file?

Exactly which file format?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for all of your help and responses. Unfortunately none has worked so far. I've also updated at least 3 times since then. I may have to have my admin work on the issue. 
Thank you all again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

* Correction - I have updated Illustrator at least 3 times since my first post.*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unchecking "Create PDF compatible file" under the "Illustrator Options" pop up when saving worked for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me. In fact, after unchecking and saving, you can then do another save-as with it checked again and it will work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This one worked for me... but how weird... but I guess expected with Adobe. Fix something with an update; break something else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2020 Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solution: Close Illustrator and reopen it without opening an old file. Then create a new blank file, that's it. Now you should be able to Save As... with any file you open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 21, 2020 Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The didn't work all the time for me. The deleting of Distiller presets (made under Mojave) worked for me permanently. I just had to rebuild my preset library after.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked for me, what a weird soultion. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had exactly the same issue and was fixed easily.

Go to Document Setup > Edit Artbord. Don't make any changes and click out of it. And try saving. 

mblabels.com.au

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2021 Mar 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed these steps and it fixed the file save error. The main issue for me was the "(Beta) optimize File Open" unchecked that and I was able to save again. 

Steps:
i)Launch Illustrator
ii)Open preference in the "Edit" tab 
iii)Go to “File Handling & Clipboard”
iv)Uncheck "Optimize file Open and Save Time on Slow Network (Beta) "
v)Click ok
vi)Try to save file and let us know if that helps
If it is still reproducible
i)Open preference by pressing “Cmd+K”
ii)Go to “File Handling & Clipboard”
uncheck “Save in background”
iii)Click ok
iv)Try to save file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines