Highlighted

Can't Save Any Illustrator File with New 2020 Update

Contributor ,
Nov 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I just updated Illustrator to the newest version and now I can't save any file. When I go to Save and hit the OK button in the Illustrator Options box, I get an error that says "An Unknown Error Has Occurred". This happens with all files, new and existing. I need this for my job so this is a very urgent problem if no file can be saved. Is this a bug in the new update? PLEASE HELP before I have to work on Monday!!

I just found the solution here:
https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/38961718-ai-2020-v-24-unknown-error-while-saving

I deleted all of my pdf presets by going to Edit>Adobe pdf Presets. Now I can save.

TOPICS
Bug, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Can't Save Any Illustrator File with New 2020 Update

Contributor ,
Nov 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I just updated Illustrator to the newest version and now I can't save any file. When I go to Save and hit the OK button in the Illustrator Options box, I get an error that says "An Unknown Error Has Occurred". This happens with all files, new and existing. I need this for my job so this is a very urgent problem if no file can be saved. Is this a bug in the new update? PLEASE HELP before I have to work on Monday!!

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/38961718-ai-2020-v-24-unknown-error-while-saving

I deleted all of my pdf presets by going to Edit>Adobe pdf Presets. Now I can save.

TOPICS
Bug, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 09, 2019 0
Contributor ,
Nov 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/38961718-ai-2020-v-24-u...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 09, 2019 0
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a couple things to work around:

1. Change default printer from my network printer to a PDF printer (Adobe or Foxit in my case)
  2. Save As -> in dialog box: Uncheck "Save PDF Compatible Version"

I was getting a problem where it would start the save process, but stall half way, or (super annoying) 97%.

I was able to save some files in PDF format and keep editing abilities - so at least I could preserve my work. But I needed AI file type (for use in AE).

I'm running the update with the supposed patch. Patch seems incomplete!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 16, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you reset the preferences when updating? (Rename the preferences folder in order to try if it helps) https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/setting-preferences.html

Can you try if this helps: https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/illustrator-2020-not-saving-files-in-ai-format/td-p/10713... (it's the manual fix for before the 24.0.1 update was published)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 17, 2019 0
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did, and it resolved a majority of issues. But I have a file or two that are still giving me - Illustrator is Unable to Save this document due to some unexpected errors.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 19, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both of these links are reporting 404 errors

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 27, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was unable to delete my pdf presets. The option was greyed out. Any other suggestions would be appreciated, all other work around's did not work. Thank you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 31, 2020 0
Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I was unable to delete my pdf presets. The option was greyed out. Any other suggestions would be appreciated, all other work around's did not work. Thank you."

Please tell us your system, the exact version number and the exact nature of the issue.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 31, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have macOS Catalina, version 10.15.5. In Illustrator, I am unable to save-as, go to the home page and get a new document by going to file-new. Also, some files open without being able to see the file. I can see the layers but not the image I am working on. 

I've gone over some of the suggestions and work arounds on the forum, but none have worked for me so far.

Thank you for your response!

Carla

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 03, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am facing some kind of issues too with Catalina 10.15 

I get unknown error when I try to save a big file of 7500x9000 px.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 17, 2020 0
Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am facing some kind of issues too with Catalina 10.15

I get unknown error when I try to save a big file of 7500x9000 px.

Which version of Illustrator?

Exactly where do you save the file?

Exactly which file format?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 17, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unchecking "Create PDF compatible file" under the "Illustrator Options" pop up when saving worked for me. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 20, 2020 1
Engaged ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me. In fact, after unchecking and saving, you can then do another save-as with it checked again and it will work.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solution: Close Illustrator and reopen it without opening an old file. Then create a new blank file, that's it. Now you should be able to Save As... with any file you open.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 21, 2020 0
Engaged ,
Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The didn't work all the time for me. The deleting of Distiller presets (made under Mojave) worked for me permanently. I just had to rebuild my preset library after.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 21, 2020 0