• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Character panel error - fonts too large, can't activate new fonts on Illustrator

New Here ,
Dec 05, 2019 Dec 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Hoping you can help me with an issue I'm having. It's very similar to the below issue, however it wasn't always like this, to begin with it was ok - granted that was only a few days ago....

https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/font-preview-is-too-large/m-p/10132420#M112725

I'm able to get this back by using the windows display settings to 100% size in apps and other items, but it messes with my desktop outside of the app (it's a good workaround but not the ideal sitation). Unfortunately the in-app font preview size option isn't there anymore as that may have solved the problem.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Illustrator Issue.png

{Renamed By MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Hey! I've been having the same issue, but I managed to get a solution.

This is what I've done:

Right click on the .exe file for the app, Go to Compatibility > Settings > Change high DPI Settings > Change Program DPI Settings and set High DPI Scaling override to 'System'. In my case, I clicked 'System (Enhanced)'.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 05, 2019 Dec 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the trouble you are facing with Illustrator. Could you please try scaling the UI of the Illustrator by navigating to Edit > Preferences > UI > UI Scaling. The UI Scaling option will be available when the system resolution is set at 100%. You can refer to the screenshot attached.

Let us know if this helps or if you need any further assistance.

UIScaling1.png

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I am having this same issue. Just started acting up today. Upgraded to the 2021 version and still no fix.

The above solution provided by @Rishabh_Tiwari did not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only fix for this I've discovered is this:
Open Illustrator and confirm the font preview is too large. I left the selection window open and then went to Windows 10 display settings. I have a very large 4k monitor so I keep the scaling here at 150%. I dropped it to 100%. Went back to Illustrator and tested the font preview. It is now a proper size and I can finally scroll. I then went back to my 4k monitor and set the scaling to 150%. This is such a crap work around. It boggles my mind that I have zero issues in Photoshop, but Illustrator does not handle the scaling issue. To clarify, I'm NOT using Illustrator on my 4k monitor. I have a 22HD Cintiq that I use Illustrator on and that monitor has 100% scaling and is set to the recommended resolution for the 22HD Cintiq. It's also the same monitor I use Photoshop on. Hopefully this will work for you. I feel your frustration.

gilbertc9450319_0-1618382738871.png

gilbertc9450319_1-1618383087134.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried this work around, and it didn't work.

I set the scaling to 100 and it didn't let me scroll, if anything it made the text previews worse and I don't use large text size previews either. Don't have the issue in photoshop or any other adobe program, just illustrator (Even tried uninstallng and reinstalling it)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a multi-monitor setup? Have you tried the UI scaling in Illustrator? Also, windows 10 has the advanced settings.  You could try turning on "make things less fuzzy" within those extra settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have dual monitor set up yes, but I have only had that for a few months, the illustrator issue has been going on for much longer than owning the monitor.

I have tried UI scaling, and have used Windows 10 Advanced settings, (have family who wokrs in IT so I've always known about those as they tried to fix the issue) the issue does not go away,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey! I've been having the same issue, but I managed to get a solution.

This is what I've done:

Right click on the .exe file for the app, Go to Compatibility > Settings > Change high DPI Settings > Change Program DPI Settings and set High DPI Scaling override to 'System'. In my case, I clicked 'System (Enhanced)'.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2021 May 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this 100% works, using v25.2.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have the option to do that on my computer. There is no Compatibility (no "Go" option on windows) or option to change the High DPI etc so this didn't solve the issue for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found a workaround however now the window is EXTREAMLY choppy and pixelated, -not very good when you work with graphics on a dialy basis to have everything look like its running in 72dpi so that creates a whole new issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah it was not exactly that for me it was click on the .exe open properties then hit the Compatibility tab at the bottom hit change high DPI settings by checking the box and changing to system (enchanced).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, that's what I originally mentioned! Glad to know it works. 🙏🏾

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Weird. I am also using Windows. I didn't mention any option "Go", though.

You have to locate the original .exe file of the program and right click on it. Have you done that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I did just that and there was no option to go through what you did I had to find a work around and honestly it's much much worse.

howver the pixelated screen is absoutely terrible for working with graphics on a dialy 9-5 basis especially for someone who is already wearing glasses, so back to square one with the fonts being too large.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same pixelated look happened to me too, so I chose "Application" instead of System (Enhanced), and it fixed both the large character menu and the pixels!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this. This 100% worked for me. I had to fiddle with each of the settings but found just checking the bottom box to fix my issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2021 Aug 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's really works!

Thanks! You save me! 😀😀😀

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thank you for sharing the tip. It seems to have fixed the problem on my 3840x2160 screen.

I have a multiple display setup with a 3840x2160 monitor and a 1920x1080 monitor and I have a problem with the docked character panel on this smaller monitor which isn't resolved by the work around you suggested. It opens offscreen and is overly large as shown in the image below. I'm posting to ask if anyone has a work-around for this issue too.

Thanks in advance.

Damian.

Font Style Dropdown.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2021 Aug 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This unfourtnately did not solve my issue. I still can't scroll thought the fonts unless they are over pixelated or too small.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 28, 2021 Aug 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide a couple of things for us? Your screen resolution, if you have a multi-monitor setup, what your scale is on Windows10 (assuming that is what you are using), and Illustrator version. If you press win+shift+s  you can enable snippet mode and you can drag a square to capture specific views and share them with us so we can help you figure it out. I know it's maddening to deal with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Resolution is 1920 x 1080, scale size is set to 100 % (which is far too small, changing it to a larger one made Zero difference) Most recent version of Illustrator as of today.

Any solutions suggested here do not work. I have tried multiple

issue.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So when you go here (or where ever you have Illustrator installed):
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator 2021
and you right click on the program exe and select properties you should have a menu selection like this:

GilCortez_0-1630194116076.png

If you click the change high DPI settings you should see this:

GilCortez_1-1630194156421.png

Try using those settings as I have. Since this is what I ended up choosing that fixed my issue. I hope this works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2021 Aug 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I tried that it made the program extremely pixelated and unreadable. As a graphics editor this is extremely frustrating and hurts the eyes

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 28, 2021 Sep 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Emery Gutnik Thank you so much! This worked perfectly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines