• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Clicking a path creates a new point within the path instead of creating a line from and in that path

New Here ,
May 10, 2020 May 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! When I try to click a path with my pen tool it creates a new point and not a new line from and in that path. This is only on some of my layers which both make me confused and frustrated. The project I was doing made me enough frustrated to delete the layer and redo it when I know how to properly do so, so sadly I do not know if I can recreate it. If you have any questions regarding my questions please ask and I'll do my best to answer.

Regards,

Troy B.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post an image of what you are doing? If I am correct in my thinking, you are trying to add a line onto an existing line? you can't to that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi

I am not sure what you are asking, so please clarify this doesn't answer.

• If a path is selected and you click on the path with the Pen tool, you will add a new anchor point
  • If a path is not selected and you click on the path with the Pen tool, you will start a new path
  • If you want to add a new line off of an existing line then select both paths and make a compound path (Object menu). Double click the compound path to enter isolation mode if you need to make edits,
    https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/combining-objects.html

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines