• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Coloring a line drawing in Illustrator

Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a little drawing I made with the painbrush tool, but I did it in black and want to change the color. When I select it all the color option grey out and wont let me apply any of them. And I cannot use the paint bucket tool, otherwise it tries to color inside the drawing. Is there a tool or feature I'm missing?

TOPICS
Draw and design , Feature request , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

It depends on what brush is applied to the path. If it was a Calligraphic brush, the color should change when you select the path and choose a different stroke color in the color panel.

If you are using an Art brush (or other kind), you will need to edit the brush in the brushes panel. Double click on the brush you used in the brushes panel and under Colorization, choose Hue Shift. Make sure you click "apply to strokes" so the change apllies to any path you have used that brush on. You can also

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Hi. By default, the paintbrush creates strokes. Select all, open the color or swatches panel, select the stroke option in the panel and select a color.

Please share a screenshot for a better understanding of your issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It depends on what brush is applied to the path. If it was a Calligraphic brush, the color should change when you select the path and choose a different stroke color in the color panel.

If you are using an Art brush (or other kind), you will need to edit the brush in the brushes panel. Double click on the brush you used in the brushes panel and under Colorization, choose Hue Shift. Make sure you click "apply to strokes" so the change apllies to any path you have used that brush on. You can also use Tints or Tints and shades, it depends on the original brush. The stroke color you have set in the color panel can then be applied to the brushstroke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. By default, the paintbrush creates strokes. Select all, open the color or swatches panel, select the stroke option in the panel and select a color.

Please share a screenshot for a better understanding of your issue.

Marlon Ceballos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Can you please share a screenshot of your issue, usually the color option will be greyed out / a question mark will appear on the fill or stroke color tool if the selected objects do not use the same fill or stroke color, but still if you do double-click on the color fill or stroke option, it will allow you to apply colors.

another option you can do is, select any of the brush lines that you have already drawn ( not all, just one), and then go to>select>same>stoke color/weight, this will select all the same type of stroke/brush on your artboard, (see attachment)

please let me know if it isn't fixed still.

Thanks

select option screen.jpg

 

[ attachment inserted as inline image by moderator ]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please embed images, so they don't need to be downloaded.

Thanks,
Peter

tromboniator_0-1615409202295.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank Peter, I didn't know the option, surely I will do that, thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome. The option is not obvious, and it seems that most people miss it, so I try to shine a light on it when I remember to do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines