Highlighted

Custom pattern swatch disappearing when moving object in Illustrator

Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created this wood grain pattern and embedded it as a swatch (I imbedded it because it wouldn't allow me to make the pattern a swatch otherwise). When I move the piece of lumber around the screen, sometimes the pattern disappears entirely, sometimes it disappears partially, and sometimes it remains on the object. If I move it enough times, the pattern will often reappear in its original form. Here are some versions I get, simply from moving the object around: 

Texture swatch issue - side-by-side screenshots.png

When I copy and paste more of the same object (e.g. to make a pile of lumber), sometimes they paste as the original, and sometimes they lose some or all of the texture. In the below image, I was pasting two pieces of lumber at a time, and it was working fine until I got to the fourth row, where one piece is missing some of its texture. When I export the file, it is still missing part of the texture, seen below in the exported image: 

Pile of Lumber.jpg

I would appreciate any ideas to resolve this. 

Correct answer by Ann5F8D | Community Beginner

Thanks for your ideas. I ended up getting an Adobe support person to remotely access my file and they resolved the issue. I am not fluent enough in Illustrator language to understand what happened, but they told me:

"It was because the Patterns were applied with different Blending modes which was applied to a particular part of the object frame." 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Custom pattern swatch disappearing when moving object in Illustrator

Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created this wood grain pattern and embedded it as a swatch (I imbedded it because it wouldn't allow me to make the pattern a swatch otherwise). When I move the piece of lumber around the screen, sometimes the pattern disappears entirely, sometimes it disappears partially, and sometimes it remains on the object. If I move it enough times, the pattern will often reappear in its original form. Here are some versions I get, simply from moving the object around: 

Texture swatch issue - side-by-side screenshots.png

When I copy and paste more of the same object (e.g. to make a pile of lumber), sometimes they paste as the original, and sometimes they lose some or all of the texture. In the below image, I was pasting two pieces of lumber at a time, and it was working fine until I got to the fourth row, where one piece is missing some of its texture. When I export the file, it is still missing part of the texture, seen below in the exported image: 

Pile of Lumber.jpg

I would appreciate any ideas to resolve this. 

Correct answer by Ann5F8D | Community Beginner

Thanks for your ideas. I ended up getting an Adobe support person to remotely access my file and they resolved the issue. I am not fluent enough in Illustrator language to understand what happened, but they told me:

"It was because the Patterns were applied with different Blending modes which was applied to a particular part of the object frame." 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 01, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm confused. The very nature of swatches is that they embedded in the document. It looks to me like there are refresh issues.

1. Are you using the 3D tools to make the lumber?
  2. Please post a larger screenshot of your swatches panel.
  3. Also post a screenshot of your Appearance panel, with one of the pieces of lumber selected.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 01, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response. 

1. I am not aware of 3D tools in Illustrator. Sounds like something I should look into. I built these pieces of lumber from a series of rectangles. 

Swatches.png

Appearance.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 01, 2020 0
Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that. I'd reccomend using the 3D tools. They let you map symbols to each face of the object. So make a symbol for each face of the board, then make a rectangle which you'll extrude. Then map each face to the appropriate symbol. Once you board is the way you want it, make a symbol out of it. That's what you'll duplicate to make more boads. This should cut down on the memory require to process everything.

As far as your original question, my guess it that it's a graphic processing issue. I can't help with that. But I'd be happy to take a look at your file and see if it does the same thing for me. I have a really fast computer with a great graphics processor. Post a link to your file and I'll take a look at it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 01, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I would appreciate that very much! Although, since it's exporting with the missing texture, wouldn't that rule out a graphic processing issue? I'll share the file anyway. I have never shared an Illustrator file before. Does the following link work for you? https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/176408a1-6c3c-4c3b-6eee-02b9a5dc3dbb 

While you're having a look at that, I'll play around with the 3D tools. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 01, 2020 0
Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are large gaps between your pattern tiles.

And probably your Preferences are setup with "Transform pattern tiles" disabled. So patterns are not moved with the objects.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 01, 2020 0
Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You certainly shouldn't need to use the 3D tool to map the pattern on this - there are all sorts of issues on using the 3D tool in Illustrator and getting a proper rendering and this is a simple shape. This really shouldn't be happening. When you select the object, does the pattern show as filling the object? When you select transform, what settings are selected - transform shape, transform pattern or transform both? Perhaps that is where the issue is. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 01, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 02, 2020 0