• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cut multiple paths at each intersection with a separate line?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2010 Oct 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!  My vocab is failing me--every program uses a different term!  I would like to clip/trim/cut/break all lines at their intersection with another line.  How is this achieved?  Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select all the lines go to the Pathfinder Panel and click on the outline icon bottom row second from right

UnGroup the result if you wish.

Screen shot 2010-10-20 at 7.26.40 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will have to restroke the lines

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the only way to do this is by losing all the attributes of the lines?  That's.... crummy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps a graphic style would be of use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

T.JPG

I don't know... I thought this would be very straightforward.  I remember this being a standard, quick execution in (wait for it....) FreeHand, and just assumed it would be here, too.  So often my imported linework goes beyond my sheet boundary, so I make a nice straight line parallel to the sheet boundary, but maybe half an inch inside, and trim my lines to that guide line, then delete it.  Have I communicated this correctly?  Here's a pic:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 21, 2010 Oct 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your picture helps quite a bit, and you have brought to issue something I have been nagging about about since the knife tool & pathfinder came out. The knife tool works only on closed paths, same problem with the pathfinder divide.

Though Adobe does not have a solution we have this plug in. The tools even have fun names (eg: saber saw)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DOT Cartographer wrote:

T.JPG

I don't know... I thought this would be very straightforward.  I remember this being a standard, quick execution in (wait for it....) FreeHand, and just assumed it would be here, too.  So often my imported linework goes beyond my sheet boundary, so I make a nice straight line parallel to the sheet boundary, but maybe half an inch inside, and trim my lines to that guide line, then delete it.  Have I communicated this correctly?  Here's a pic:

DOT:

If it just the "visual" of seeing the artwork cut off, you can always just use a clipping mask, and all your artwork will retain it's attributes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 23, 2010 Oct 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cartographer,

you can find some other approaches in the following thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1265259

Workaroundish as always in Illustrator. And still crummy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wade, help me out here. What in the world was the original purpose of that particular pathfinder? With your history, I'm guessing you know. From the time I started using Illustrator (when v. 10 was new) I've never ever understood its function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't answer for Wade, but I do get (CS3, Mac) some interesting results with that particular button: Intersecting filled, unstroked closed paths yield unfilled open paths, stroked with the original fill color as a hairline, but showing as 0 pt.! Stroked, unfilled closed paths yield unstroked, unfilled open paths. Consistent, anyway.

Peter

Screen shot 2010-10-20 at 6.39.16 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I see what this Outline pathfinder does. What I want to understand is what USE one would have for it. It's so destructive of the original art that I'm hard pressed to envision a problem that it solves or a desirable effect that it achieves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What in the world was the original purpose of that particular pathfinder?

As per the Help files the Outline Pathfinder – citation – "is useful for preparing artwork that needs a trap for overprinting objects."

I've never used it in this context, but I used it a lot during some experimental wanderings.

By the way, interestingly, in the German version of Illustrator the Outline Pathfinder is called "Divide Stroke" which might be called a better description than the original name in the English version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Kurt. Can't imagine I'll be using that pathfinder any time soon, but I appreciate your research.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Oct 24, 2010 Oct 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try this.

Instead of dividing with an open line, divide with close path that encompasses completely the parts of the lines that remain and press the Divide (first) button on the Pathfinders. Then with white arrow Shift drag over sections of the dividing line to select and press Delete.

Another alternative is to cut the lines with the Eraser, I don't even know where the tool is but I just flipped my Wacom pen and it cut the lines along my stroke, Holding Shift makes a straight line.

edit: The Eraser was under the knife in my tool palette, and double clicking it can set the diameter to minimum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all the input!  As it turns out, my memory of this trimming effect is from drafting/GIS programs; AutoCAD, MicroStation, and ArcMap, not from FreeHand at all.  Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried the  plug in I mentioned, it is free for 100 uses and worth the small shareware fee and works inCS4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I looked at it; thank you!  Certainly fits the bill, but my organization discourages the use of plugins, etc.  I'll muddle on!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do you have CS5?

check this thread, post # 6

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3149496#3149496

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines