Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Editing Multiple Gradients with One Gradient Annotator

New Here ,
Apr 24, 2020 Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi -

I have been doing a Lynda Tutorial, with their files (attached). I am unable to edit multiple gradients with one Annotator, despite closely following the instructions. I looked at the Adobe User Guide, and it had the following, which is the same as the Lynda tutorial. I will annotate the below in CAPS with what did not work for me.

Apply gradients across multiple objects

To apply a linear or a radial gradient for multiple objects, do the following:

• Apply gradient on one object. Select the other objects that you want to fill with the same gradient. To do this, click the Selection tool from the toolbar. Hold the Shift key and click the objects that you want to fill with the same gradient.
  • Select the Color picker tool from the toolbar and click the gradient. Then, select objects on which the selected gradient is to be applied.
  • Click the Fill icon in the Gradient panel, toolbar, or Properties panel.

Using the Gradient tool, do one of the following:

• To create a gradient with one Gradient annotator, click anywhere on the canvas where you want the gradient to start, and drag to where you want the gradient to end. I DID THIS AND MULTIPLE ANNOTATORS APPEARED, NOT JUST ONE FOR ALL GRADIENTS.
  • To create a gradient with a Gradient annotator for every selected object, click in the artboard where you want the gradient to start, and Alt-drag (Windows) or Option-drag (macOS) to where you want the gradient to end. You can then adjust the different gradient sliders for the different objects. (Multiple gradient sliders are only created for simple paths.)
TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 25, 2020 Apr 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When multiple gradient annotators appear, what happens if you start dragging the Gradient tool?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2020 May 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response. Each tool edits each gradient field chosen; meaning, I need to edit each on its own. The video shows the separate tools being replaced by one slider, that contours the gradient for each path. Perhaps I am not understanding this video: https://www.lynda.com/Illustrator-tutorials/Editing-multiple-gradients-time/124101/146060-4.html?aut...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 25, 2020 Apr 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I DID THIS AND MULTIPLE ANNOTATORS APPEARED, NOT JUST ONE FOR ALL GRADIENTS."

But are the gradients unified? Do they look like one?

Because if so: it worked.

There won't be one gradient annotator for multiple objects. That just won't happen because Illustrator doesn't work like that. It will always create multiple annotators, but it will unify how the gradients look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm - that's not the way Deke's video on Lynda looked like. One slider for several chosen gradients. Perhaps I mistook what I saw and heard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Each one has its own gradient, they are just on top of each other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We certainly cannot explain you something we haven't even seen.

Are you sure he applied the gradient to multiple shapes (and not to a compound path or to a fill he applied to a group)?

Several possibilities.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And, thank you for your response. Here is the video that is causing me confusion: https://www.lynda.com/Illustrator-tutorials/Editing-multiple-gradients-time/124101/146060-4.html?aut...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. I hope your issue is resolved now. We'd appreciate if you can mark the earlier response correct. You may also share your solution if you did something else to resolve the problem. This will help other users with the similar situation.

If you still have issues, let us know we'll be happy to help.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2020 Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The issue still exists. It has not been fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines