Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Embed Fonts in Print Ready PDF - Illustrator

Engaged ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have an A4 poster I'm going to be sending to a commercial printer. If I send it as a print ready PDF can i embed the fonts in the document instead of having to outline the text?

On the main body copy of the poster the text is 12pt and looks awful when outlined.

If it is possible to embed the fonts, how do I go about doing this?

Many thanks

TOPICS
Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When saving as PDF, in the Save As PDF dialog box, highlight Advanced on the left side. The default for 'Subset fonts when percent of characters used is less than' is 100%. Change it to 0%, zero percent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2020 May 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The font will always be embedded.

The default setting for Subset will embed only the characters that are used in the document, making the filesize smaller.

Setting it to 0% will embed the entire font, even if only one character was used, making the file (sometimes much) larger.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check with the printing office.

It should be standard practice that they can properly print a PDF with embedded fonts, but you never know how they handle the PDF.

Some might open your PDF with other apps than Acrobat and then print it. Those are usually the ones who ask you to outline fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ton is right that embedding the entire font can increase the file size. However, most fonts don't unduly increase file size, and file size is usually not an issue for printing. In theory, the font should be embedded with the default setting of 100%, but I have sometimes experienced issues with the fonts unless the font is completely embedded as I described at zero%. As Monika recommended, it's always a good idea to communicate with your printing office.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you have a misconception that fonts are not included into a saved PDF by default

The fact is that fonts are embeded, the same way linked images are included too. PDF is defined as portable for such a reason.

Second, outlining text is completely not recomended, there is no reason for doing it for printing. Outlining loses fonts hinting, and at small sizes and low screen resolution at printing, it could play a disaster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. In addition to good information shared above, I'd request checking out this help article as well to know more about fonts & troubleshooting.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines