• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting Large Files - Without Reduced Resolution

Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2020 Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to export a file that is 15000px x 15000px at 300 dpi as a JPG or PNG. However, it says "Unable to export at this resolution. Please lower the resolution and try again" when I try to save a JPG using Export>Export As, with Use Artboards selected.
When I use the Export>Save for Web approach, it doesn't allow me to raise the pixels this high. Have gone through various tutorials and searches, but the consensus seems that most people needing this file dimension are exporting it to Photoshop to achieve the desired resolution. Is there any way to do this directly in Illustrator or is this a limitation of the program? I can provide my system specs if relevant to this issue. Any insight is most appreciated!
TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Just export your 15000px x 15000px document at 72 ppi.

The amount of pixels is the important thing, not how many of those pixels should be put into an inch.

If you really want to change the resolution info, you can do that in Photoshop without resampling to keep the pixelsize the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you really need that amont pixels?

Exported at 300ppi would generate a 10,9 gigabyte file.

What dimensions do you need for that file? At 72 ppi it would be more than 5 meters, more than enough for a size that would be viewed from a different distance than a magazine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank for letting me know. It's a specific requirement of the POD site (Society6 in this case) for things like furniture and apparel. This is their standard requirement for all uploads, and since I am hoping to upload many designs in the future, would need this to be something I can scale independent of them, and hopefully more efficiently than transporting to photoshop. 

From their site:

"If your goal is to enable all products ... we recommend starting with a horizontal asset thatā€™s 15000px x 9000px, a vertical asset thatā€™s 8000px x 12000 px, and a square asset thatā€™s 12000px x 12000px, at 300 dpi."

I will be in touch with them and try to report back what I find out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do NOT use the Export function. It's only for web graphics. You must use Save As for print PNG or JPG. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I gave the wrong advice, I answered for Photoshop, not Illustrator!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2023 Mar 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no "Save As" in LightRoom. Only "Export".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There might be no Save As in Lightroom, Jean, but that's of no importance, since this is the Illustrator forum. What other apps do is not important. Yes, I made the same mistake (except to answer for Photoshop). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a 41.6' file.  Are you designing for grand format inkjet printing?  Are you uploading to an online vendor?  My guess is you do not need to send 300ppi image resolution.  However, if whoever is printing or receiving your file needs 75ppi on the outset, then scale your file to ten feet at 300ppi and have them scale it up 400%.  This assumes grand format output at 75ppi is sufficient.  I have used Illustrator's Export function to do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank for letting me know. It's a specific requirement of the POD site (Society6 in this case) for things like furniture and apparel. This is their standard requirement for all uploads, and since I am hoping to upload many designs in the future, would need this to be something I can scale independent of them, and hopefully more efficiently than transporting to photoshop. 

From their site:

"If your goal is to enable all products ... we recommend starting with a horizontal asset thatā€™s 15000px x 9000px, a vertical asset thatā€™s 8000px x 12000 px, and a square asset thatā€™s 12000px x 12000px, at 300 dpi."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just export your 15000px x 15000px document at 72 ppi.

The amount of pixels is the important thing, not how many of those pixels should be put into an inch.

If you really want to change the resolution info, you can do that in Photoshop without resampling to keep the pixelsize the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines