Highlighted

Format save for Print on Demand

Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

The size required for a T shirt design in Red Bubble is 2875 x 3900 px. To get that exact size I have read that I have to choose 72 ppi of resolution after doing Export > Export As > PNG (with my Artboard size of 2800 x 3800 px)

In Red Bubble it says: PLEASE also note that DPI and PPI don’t have any effect on your final uploaded image. So that means it is ok to choose 72 ppi? So I did that and bought a sticker with that same design. The design is a bit blurry. Please help.

Now I saved in my computer the same design but with the option "Medium 150 ppi" and the dimensions changes to 4956 x 7120 px and it does look more clear. This format savign process is not clear. 

Then they say too: "A good rule of thumb is that big, high-resolution files make the best prints. Now when we say ‘big’, we're really referring to resolution, not the file’s size. There is a major difference between file size, which is measured in bytes (like megabytes MB) and resolution, which is measured in pixels. When you’re printing work, it’s the pixels that matter. " 

If it is true that it is the pixels that matter then why is blurry when I save it in 2800 x 3800 px in 72 ppi?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Doug A Roberts | Adobe Community Professional

A 3-metre wide image that consists of 2800 x 3800 px will look 'blurry'. An A4 page won't.

When they say PPI doesn't matter, it's presumably because they output to one specific (physical, i.e. inches/mm) size, and thus the PPI will be defined by the pixel dimensions of the image you give them.

Of course 4956 x 7120 px will look more 'clear' if you zoom in on it, but it will be massive overkill for the final output size.

TOPICS
Draw and design, How to, Import and export, Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Format save for Print on Demand

Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

The size required for a T shirt design in Red Bubble is 2875 x 3900 px. To get that exact size I have read that I have to choose 72 ppi of resolution after doing Export > Export As > PNG (with my Artboard size of 2800 x 3800 px)

In Red Bubble it says: PLEASE also note that DPI and PPI don’t have any effect on your final uploaded image. So that means it is ok to choose 72 ppi? So I did that and bought a sticker with that same design. The design is a bit blurry. Please help.

Now I saved in my computer the same design but with the option "Medium 150 ppi" and the dimensions changes to 4956 x 7120 px and it does look more clear. This format savign process is not clear. 

Then they say too: "A good rule of thumb is that big, high-resolution files make the best prints. Now when we say ‘big’, we're really referring to resolution, not the file’s size. There is a major difference between file size, which is measured in bytes (like megabytes MB) and resolution, which is measured in pixels. When you’re printing work, it’s the pixels that matter. " 

If it is true that it is the pixels that matter then why is blurry when I save it in 2800 x 3800 px in 72 ppi?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Doug A Roberts | Adobe Community Professional

A 3-metre wide image that consists of 2800 x 3800 px will look 'blurry'. An A4 page won't.

When they say PPI doesn't matter, it's presumably because they output to one specific (physical, i.e. inches/mm) size, and thus the PPI will be defined by the pixel dimensions of the image you give them.

Of course 4956 x 7120 px will look more 'clear' if you zoom in on it, but it will be massive overkill for the final output size.

TOPICS
Draw and design, How to, Import and export, Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 29, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 29, 2020 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally they included this advice in their file specifications.

The t-shirt fabric will have a large effect on the result as well. Just send them the pixel dimensions they recommend. They know their machines, the print process and the fabric.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 29, 2020 1