• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Freeform gradient missing

Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2019 Feb 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I havent really tried using the new freeform gradient tool, but upon attempting recently, its not even an option? I have linear and radial options only, no freeform. I have all my updates and everything so I dont know what the issue could be. Any help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 21, 2019 Feb 21, 2019

matthewrebeldesigns  wrote

I have Illustrator cc 2018. I assumed with the cc suite any new features were included/updated?

Hi Matthew,

The Freeform Gradient tool is a new feature in CC 2019 and is not available in 2018. Can you update? In the Advanced options, you can select to keep CC 2018 installed or to have it deleted.

Adobe does not put new features into old versions. Government agencies and other secure organizations require named versions that can be vetted, and that would be impossible if

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Feb 21, 2019 Feb 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without some info about the structure and appearance of your artwork it's unlikely you'll get any useful answer. Could be as trivial as something needing expanding or a path not being closed.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This didnt have anything to do with my actual artwork, I mean the option to use freeform gradients isnt available to me. I only have a dropdown with linear or radial gradients.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've read the documentation?

Create gradients in Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Illustrator version do you have?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Illustrator cc 2018. I assumed with the cc suite any new features were included/updated?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

matthewrebeldesigns  schrieb

But you need to install all the updates that are available for you 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As mentioned in my initial question, all my updates are current. After updating is there a physical installation process that I'm missing? That seems a bit unnecessary but I may be overlooking something to manually update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version does it say if you go to Help > About Illustrator?

The latest is 23.0.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

matthewrebeldesigns  schrieb

As mentioned in my initial question, all my updates are current. After updating is there a physical installation process that I'm missing? That seems a bit unnecessary but I may be overlooking something to manually update.

If you have version CC2018 then, no, it's not current.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

matthewrebeldesigns  wrote

Hi Matthew,

The Freeform Gradient tool is a new feature in CC 2019 and is not available in 2018. Can you update? In the Advanced options, you can select to keep CC 2018 installed or to have it deleted.

Adobe does not put new features into old versions. Government agencies and other secure organizations require named versions that can be vetted, and that would be impossible if older versions kept changing.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2019 Oct 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I've the latest (23.1.1) but this tool is missing for me. What can I do?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 22, 2019 Oct 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no dedicated tool for the freeform gradient. It's an option in the gradient panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2020 Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem as Caroll71681360. I have the latest version (24.1). In the gradient panel, linear and spot gradient are available, but the freeform gradient option is greyed out. Are there certain circumstances under which this would happen? I have been using freeform gradients on my current project a and it seems to happen intermittently. I have read the adobe guide regarding gradients and I cannot find a solution. Thanks!

Screen Shot 2020-04-06 at 9.33.51 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 06, 2020 Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In this instance it is because you have the stroke rather than fill active. Press X to switch between them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines