Highlighted

Freehand to Illustrator CC2017

New Here ,
Jan 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have thousands of old Freehand files and need to convert many of them to Illustrator.How do I convert Freehand files to Illustrator CC2017?

TOPICS
How to, Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Freehand to Illustrator CC2017

New Here ,
Jan 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have thousands of old Freehand files and need to convert many of them to Illustrator.How do I convert Freehand files to Illustrator CC2017?

TOPICS
How to, Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 03, 2017 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check if the plugin FHInterface is available for CC2017: www.tensai.co.uk

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 03, 2017 0
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw that suggestion on one of the other boards, but that plugin is not free and we were looking for a free option.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 03, 2017 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jan 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pammi,

As far as  know, AI CS6 - CC are unable to open FH files, but you can do it if you get the FHImport interface plugin, as well as a copy of the original FHImport plugin.

You can read on here:

http://www.tensai.co.uk/ai/fhi/how.php

You can get a trial version of CS3 - CS5 here, to get the plugin (you should be able to install and run CS5 on Yosemite (and (hopefully) even El Capitan), at least enough for this):

http://prodesigntools.com/tag/ddl/page/3

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 03, 2017 0
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have an older laptop running CS5.5, but didn't want to have to use 2 machines each time we had to open or convert a file.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 03, 2017 0
Jan 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 03, 2017 1
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! Thanks! Would that script work with CS5.5? That is the oldest version I have and it is on a second laptop. That way I could continue to work on my current laptop while the old laptop converts the files with the script.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 03, 2017 0
Jan 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suppose so, just try it, you can open the script from File > Scripts > Other Script.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 03, 2017 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jan 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pammi,

The use of CS5 is only temporary, in order to be able to use CC for the Freehand files.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 03, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know if the script is available for Windows 8 by chance?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 10, 2018 0
Aug 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The script won't help you if you don't have CS5.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 10, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried two links in this thread to get to that script file, but the file has been removed -- the first click takes me to a nearly identical page, and clicking (again) on a Download button, I get an error:

http://download.adobe.com/pub/adobe/illustrator/mac/cs4/FreehandToAI.zip

Can anyone please send me the script? I don't need to do this often but like many of you I have an enormous archive of FH files. Too many and too widely archived to collect to have Tensai do it -- plus, the only time I asked them for help, the FH file was too old for even them to tackle. (And I still have AI CS5 around, and it'll still open on my OS10.13 iMac, but it's not happy. I can fire up my Mac Pro if need be.)

The computer thing is forward looking, but there really oughta be a way to preserve work done in obsolete apps.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 21, 2019 0
Jun 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Mike+Diehl  schrieb

Too many and too widely archived to collect to have Tensai do it -- plus, the only time I asked them for help, the FH file was too old for even them to tackle.

You can still buy the Tensai plugin. You need that plugin, because the script will only work in versions up to CS5.

Only the Tensai plugin can connect CC versions to Adobe's old FreeHand import module.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 22, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Monika. I've never used a script in AI but launched AI CS5.1, and looked around. I saw a FreehandToAI script already among those available, and tried using it to access my FH file. They were greyed out; perhaps the files are too old (They're FH 3.0, according to Tensai's online tool.) The app quit "unexpectedly" so I relaunched, and accessed your script via the Other Script... option. Same result.

If I thought Tensai's plug-in (at $57 + EU VAT) would work on all my FH files, or even most of them, I'd pop for it in a heartbeat. Even they say results are mixed, especially for older files.

I appreciate your response and attempt to help.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 25, 2019 0
Jun 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FreeHand 3 files cannot be opened by Illustrator.

CS2 can open down to version 4 (up to 9)

CS4 can open down to version 7 (up to 11)

Tensai's plugin just connects to Illustrator's own plugin.

So with version 3 files, you need an equally old version of FreeHand. Maybe FreeHand 7 can still open them, I don't remember that too well.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 26, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Monika. If I had more frequent need to access these files, I'd spend more time figuring out how to do it. (I still have my G4 Mac Pro, but haven't fired it up in years, and don't recall what versions of FH are on it, or if I can back-load v. 7 from my discs or archives.) Kind of a shame, IMO, the way this has gone down.... but I appreciate that I can post a message here, and get a response from someone so knowlegable!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 27, 2019 0
Jun 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome.

The trouble is that even the last FreeHand versions (9, 10 or 11) cannot open the very old FH files.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 27, 2019 0
macpage LATEST
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To run older or maybe PPC software on actual systems a good way is to run OS X 10.6 (which still has Rosetta to run PPC tools) in a VM with VMware Fusion or the free VirtualBox - this really often saves my bacon 😉

Here you still can play around with your last versions of Freehand until you figured out the best way for you.

You can do the work to create this VM once and then make copies of it for your different needs. This is worth every minute you invest to create this thing.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 13, 2020 0
Jun 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 27, 2019 4
Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link to download leads to a non existant page. Great. All morning lost trying to open an old  freehand file (made by adobe!!). Why is there a paid plugin to convert fh files to illustrator? why does not adobe make it FOR FREE?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 24, 2020 1