• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can you open/edit .psd file in Adobe Illustrator?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all!

I have been collaborating with a friend on a design and he sent me his work as .psd files. I am much more proficient at Adobe Illustrator than Photoshop and I am curious to know: is a way to convert the psd files to one that is still layered/editable in Illustrator? I was going to try and see if an .esp file may work but I don't see that option under "Save As" menu in Photoshop 2020.

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Place a PSD in a Ai. file as embeded, not linked.

Uncheck the Link box and CHECK the options Box

In  the panel that apperas, select the keep layers option.

You will get each one of them (unless there are adjustment layers). You will get all those layers pile up on a layer in Illustrator.

-- The problem is that there is not a lot you can do with raster images, pixels content, in Illustrator.

What would you try to do afterwards in Illustrator?

Edits on contents creation in Photoshop is best done

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Place a PSD in a Ai. file as embeded, not linked.

Uncheck the Link box and CHECK the options Box

In  the panel that apperas, select the keep layers option.

You will get each one of them (unless there are adjustment layers). You will get all those layers pile up on a layer in Illustrator.

-- The problem is that there is not a lot you can do with raster images, pixels content, in Illustrator.

What would you try to do afterwards in Illustrator?

Edits on contents creation in Photoshop is best done there, Transformations, color edits, masks, filters,.... 

Of course you can add brushes or additional contents in Illustrator or other applications, but adjustments on those contents is best done in the original program.

Obsolate EPS format don't handles layers or transparency.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 16, 2020 Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. I hope you found your answer. We'd appreciate if you can mark the appropriate response correct. If you used any other method, you can share it with us. It'll help other users with similar concern.

I'd also recommend checking out this help article to know about Photoshop files workflow in Illustrator.
Let us know if you have any other concern, we'll be happy to help.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines