• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bullets, Numbering & Lists

Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2010 May 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't seem to find/figure out how to create bullets/number in Adobe Illustrator CS5.  Does anyone know how to do it or if it is even able to do that?

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Health, Happiness & Blessings!

Jami

Jami@takecontrolforlife.com

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 26, 2010 May 26, 2010

Illustrator isn't really designed for doing elaborate list styles, etc. You can fake it in Illustrator, but I would highly advise using InDesign, especially seeing how you already downloaded the trial. It will work better for items you are trying to produce anyway.

With that said, you can draw a text box, create a hanging indent, and format styles, bullets, etc. It takes a bit more work, though. The following sample image was created in that manner.

AI_Lists.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Engaged ,
May 24, 2010 May 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot. Head to InDesign for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 25, 2010 May 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amen to that.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2010 May 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was under the impression that In Design was for designing websites and magazines and such,  I am mainly making business cards, flyers, stationary, etc.  Do you know whether it would work for that as well?

THank you for commenting.  i really appreciate it.  I have downloaded InDesign to try and I belong to lynda.com and so hopefully they will assist me in learning what I need to do.  This is very different for me as I am a nurse and I work with people to assist them to better health.  I am definitely not a graphic designer but I have noticed that it is less expensive if I design my own marketing material and educational materials than if I were to have a designer/printing house do it.  I have found a great place onoine for printing with wonderful pricing and that makes it nice.

Have a fabulous day!

Health, Happiness & Blessings!

Jami

jami@takecontrolforlife.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2010 May 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator isn't really designed for doing elaborate list styles, etc. You can fake it in Illustrator, but I would highly advise using InDesign, especially seeing how you already downloaded the trial. It will work better for items you are trying to produce anyway.

With that said, you can draw a text box, create a hanging indent, and format styles, bullets, etc. It takes a bit more work, though. The following sample image was created in that manner.

AI_Lists.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2012 Apr 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely can add bullets in Illustrator:

if on a windows machine: hold down the alt key and press 0149 on the numeric keyboard (at the bottom right of tyour keyboard), when you release the alt key, a bullet should appear in your text.

if using mac: use option + 8 to insert a common bullet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2012 Apr 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you ScottishRoss!! Have always used MACs. I am finding windows keyboard shorts a bit of a learning curve. (and more work)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2012 Apr 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a few ways to get bulletted list in Illustrator, unfortunately none are as easy as in InDesign. My favorite Illustrator method is to use paragraph palette >> indent first line.

Screen shot 2012-04-18 at 9.45.07 AM.png

You need to use soft returns (Shift return)after for example "well", and then use standard hard returns after periods. For the font/size above I set my First line left indent to -4 pt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 29, 2017 Mar 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this way is better to me (sorry it's in Italian):

Schermata 2017-03-29 alle 10.55.31.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 30, 2018 May 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

schrieb

I found this way is better to me (sorry it's in Italian):

Schermata 2017-03-29 alle 10.55.31.jpg

That approach is called a hanging indent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't figure out how to Reply correctly. Sorry. Let's see if this gets thru.

I wrote about this a couple weeks ago, but I have not received a good answer.

There is nothing in Preferences > Type to help. This is a more accurate report.  

When I set tabs with the Tabs window, I type a dash, then when I hit the tab key, the paragraph automatically erases the dash and goes into a bullet format. But a bullet does not appear.

I have to go to Type > Bullets and Numbering > Remove Bullets

I cannot figure out how to stop this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please show a screenshot of your Preferences > Type diealog box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines