• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I create randomized distribution of text or objects, in Illustrator?

Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey You Guys!

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could explain to me how to recreate the randomly distributed text/object effect seen below:

Annotation 2021-04-16 1909444.png

stock-vector-abstract-black-alphabet-ornament-border-isolated-on-white-background-vector-illustration-for-376760644.jpg

How do you recreate this effect, where it looks like randomly distributed and overlapping words of text, or objects? I know that in Adobe After Effects, there is a calculations effect that achieves something similar, but I would definitely appreciate it if anyone wouldn't mind explaining how to achieve this effect in Adobe Illustrator.

Huge Thank You!

TOPICS
Draw and design , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

I would do this:

• Use Astute Graphics' Phantasm Halftone Live Effect on a base rectangle shape with a simple white-to-black gradient fill and choosing (and tweaking) the Character option in Halftone's settings until you achieve the desired effect. Choose one of the more "random looking" distribution patterns, ie. Floyd Steinberg frequency modulation, etc. The plugin isn't free but there is a 7-day trial available to download.

• Then I would use a script that will randomly rotate each character.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would do this:

• Use Astute Graphics' Phantasm Halftone Live Effect on a base rectangle shape with a simple white-to-black gradient fill and choosing (and tweaking) the Character option in Halftone's settings until you achieve the desired effect. Choose one of the more "random looking" distribution patterns, ie. Floyd Steinberg frequency modulation, etc. The plugin isn't free but there is a 7-day trial available to download.

• Then I would use a script that will randomly rotate each character. Something like this: http://dotpixeldesign.com/random-rotate-illustrator-script/#downloads

• After expanding the appearance you can further tweak the result manually.

• You can overlay multiple layers with varying font sizes and widths to achieve something closer to your example.

I did this in all of 5 minutes:

Screen Shot 2021-04-17 at 1.37.50 pm.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On second thought, you can probably even use the Symbol Sprayer tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 17, 2021 Apr 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

_ZooN_,

Thank you for your clear, detailed and incredibly quick reply, this is spot-on! I love how automated your solution is! I absolutely appreciate the response, THANK YOU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines