• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to convert a .psd file into .ai (adobe illustrator)

New Here ,
Nov 19, 2010 Nov 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys,

I have a very high quality multi layer .psd file that I need to convert to adobe illustrator in order to export them into autocad.

As I'm very in exprienced, Ive tried to merge the layers in the psd file and then use Export -> 'Path to Illustrator', however when I open the newly created .ai file, it open a dialog box called 'Convert to Artboards' and whatever option i choose (either Legacy Artboard or Crop Area(s)' my new illustrator file seems to be empty.

I appreciate any file anyone can offfer.

Best Regards

Alex.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Jun 26, 2013 Jun 26, 2013

Update: If you have the current version of photoshop and Illustrator then just open the .psd version of the document in Illustrator and make sure the "Convert layers to objects" is selected and the image will appear in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2011 Mar 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this same issues myself and found the answer once but now cannot locate it again.  The answer I found did not mention anything about preparing the files before exporting and it was a very simple step to view the converted file.  I just can't find it now and would appreciate assistance with this too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using the export paths to Illustrator command, the file opened in Illustrator will appear blank, but it isn't. Simply switch to Outline Mode (View > Outline) and you will see your paths. Photoshop exports the paths as unfilled, unstroked paths so there is simply nothing to show in Preview Mode. Switch to Outline Mode and recolor your paths. Or simply Select all and tap the D key on the keyboard. Your paths should become visble.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I knew there was a simple answer to this, I just couldn't find

it again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2013 Oct 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I was having the same problem. So i tried exporting it and it worked (as always) but I clicked Outine instaed of Preview and it was still blank! I need this converted and be able to see it ASAP but I'm not getting anywhere! Any advice?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2013 Oct 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Show the PSD file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 26, 2013 Jun 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: If you have the current version of photoshop and Illustrator then just open the .psd version of the document in Illustrator and make sure the "Convert layers to objects" is selected and the image will appear in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2014 Apr 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cburris5 u just change my life. Thank u for that comment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2014 Jun 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect answer, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2015 Apr 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that and definitely checked the option to convert layers to objects, but in Illustrator everything appears to be flattened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 29, 2018 Mar 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - that's what I find too. Did you find a solution?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2023 Mar 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Make sure to release clipping mask, no group inside a group.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2014 Aug 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Importing PSD files into Illustrator

•    •   Opening PSD files into Illustrator

1.  Turn on your computer and launch the Illustrator program.

2.  Open a new document by clicking File>New in Illustrator’s menu bar.

3.  To open your Photoshop document, go to File>Open and then select the document you want to open when prompted.

•    •   Placing PSD files into Illustrator (Editable)

This method is ideal if you wish to incorporate a Photoshop document within an existing Illustrator document which can then make the PSD file editable within Illustrator.

1. Launch the Illustrator program, select File>Place

2. Locate the PSD file you want to import and click “Place”. Make sure the “Link” option is not selected.

Placing or opening an unlinked Photoshop file will prompt a dialog box with options, choose the most appropriate option and then click “OK”.

• Convert Layers to Objects: This option will convert the Photoshop layers into Illustrator objects to be able preserve masks, transparency and blending modes.                  

• Flatten Layers to a Single Object: This option will flatten all the Photoshop layers into a single layer to preserve the look and appearance of the image; however individual Photoshop layers will no longer be editable.

•    •   Placing PSD files into Illustrator (Not Editable)

This method is ideal for incorporating your Photoshop files in an existing Illustrator document. Although the PSD file will no longer be editable it will be able to maintain a link to your original Photoshop file.

1. Launch the Illustrator program, select File>Place.
2. Locate the PSD file you want to import and click Place. Make sure the Link option is selected.

- See more at: http://www.hiddenwebgenius.com/blog/design/how-to-import-psd-files-into-adobe-illustrator-and-indesi...

**The one time it did not work for me and appeared black was because of shadows (hue/saturation adjustment layer). So I compared the old .psd file, that converted fine, to the current one I was trying got send. One of the differences was the introduction of shadows by duplicating the fonts and image shapes, then merging them to a single image with hue/saturation adjustments. When adjusting the hue/saturation, it appears in a separate layer that was locked to next to image that was just produced. Some reason that was the bug that kept Illustrator from placing the .psd file in Illustrator. The solution was to merge the hue/saturation layer with the image layer. Now it’s back to normal.

Hope this save you some time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2014 Sep 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) Save the photoshop file as (EPS);

2) Open the saved EPS file with adobe illustrator;

3) Save the EPS file as AI using the illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 03, 2014 Sep 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think this is an advisable workflow, given the posts already in this topic. did you even read it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2015 Jul 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

m. duban schrieb:

1) Save the photoshop file as (EPS);

2) Open the saved EPS file with adobe illustrator;

3) Save the EPS file as AI using the illustrator.

Nope, never. Don't use EPS anymore as EPS does not support transparency.

Correct solution: Save Photoshop File as PSD, open that in Illustrator, save as AI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2015 Jul 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Open your Design in photoshop

2. Save as PDF

3. Open the PDF file in Illustrator

4. Save as AI From Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2015 Jul 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MrLaziz schrieb:

1. Open your Design in photoshop

2. Save as PDF

3. Open the PDF file in Illustrator

4. Save as AI From Illustrator

No, don't do that, Illustrator is NOT a common PDF editor.

The correct solution was given above: Save the file as PSD, open that PSD in Illustrator, Save as AI in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2016 May 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Alixman9841,

I tried to convert from PSD to AI. I noticed that everything in a folder in photoshop got converted to an image in Illustrator.

I got an idea while reading what jrebel@umich.edu wrote and noticed that layers that were text and not in folders came out as editable text.

So removing all folders and keeping everything as layers get the job done.

Let me know how you guys go.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 01, 2016 Jun 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HOW did you convert it? Did you do it by opening a PSD in Illustrator, which is the recommended way?

Illustrator has better import and export filter in cooperation with Photoshop than Photoshop has. That is why you should do it in Illustrator.

Editiblility has nothing to do, if you work with Layer Groups (what you name folders). It has to do, if you have used transparencies and if those effects are replicable when layers are kept alive or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Willi,

The steps are pretty easy. I have noted the steps below so its easier to follow.

1. Place all the layers outside of folders

2. Save your PSD with a different name (if you don't loose the original with folders)

3. Open the PSD in Illustrator

4. Choose option to Convert Layers to Objects

psd-to-ai.png

5. Choose Import Hidden Layers (optional)

6. Press Ok.

You are done! You can now, edit the AI file as much as you want.

Note: If you have any folders, all contents of the folder will appear as an image in Illustrator.

Hope the above helps.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that is not correct.

Folders can also be converted into layers, layers in folders can be converted in sublayers, at least in the latest version.

Removing those folders can result in a heavy change of the image, which might not be wanted. So, don't do that.

In newer versions the conversion in Illustrator has been improved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2016 Sep 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2017 Sep 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i tried it right now , so easy

i exported from photoshop layers separated as png file , then you select one layer and choose object/image trace/make and expand ,so it will be illustrated , now you can modify it

i hope it may help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines