Highlighted

How to resize my Canvas in Illustrator

New Here ,
Jul 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

can anyone help me out. I would like to rezise my canvas in Illustrator and I dont know how to do that!

Why: I'de like to fit my AI design on to an other AI, real size object and the Illustrator canvas is to small to handle the design in a proper way. So my design is to large to fit the real obeject. the question is therefor how can I make my Canvas larger?

Hope for your support and help.

Thanks

Gert van de Cappelle

Hey, the Illy team are trying to sort out a bigger canvas, and they are looking for more details from those that will need it -

Workflows that need large canvas / artboard

Thanks!

Topics

How to

Views

1.0M

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How to resize my Canvas in Illustrator

New Here ,
Jul 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

can anyone help me out. I would like to rezise my canvas in Illustrator and I dont know how to do that!

Why: I'de like to fit my AI design on to an other AI, real size object and the Illustrator canvas is to small to handle the design in a proper way. So my design is to large to fit the real obeject. the question is therefor how can I make my Canvas larger?

Hope for your support and help.

Thanks

Gert van de Cappelle

Hey, the Illy team are trying to sort out a bigger canvas, and they are looking for more details from those that will need it -

Workflows that need large canvas / artboard

Thanks!

Topics

How to

Views

1.0M

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jul 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gert,

There is no canvas in Illustrator.

In Illustrator you have the (about) 227" x 227" Workspace, and inside that the Artboard, which corresponds to the page (in print), and which holds the artwork that is printed or saved as PDF; in the newest versions, it is also used to crop for exporting artwork in other formats. You set the Artboard size with File>Document Setup>Artboard, or in the newest version with the Artboard Tool (DoubleClick).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jacob,

I've been tooling around the internet for a while now looking for answers and I was wondering if you could help! Do you know of any way to change the size of the default 227 inch workspace?

Thanks!

Conor

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Conor,

There is no way.

Have you seen this post, which came after your post here?

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3201140#3201140

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even in .ai cc 2017 - no way to make a very large size file to accomodate a real-size object. Looks like it has to be done in Pshop. Too bad since I love using illustrator for design projects. (fabric and garment) If anyone knows something new please post! Thanks

Barbara

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob Buggebrief answer is the answer to this question, quite simply.

@The artboard is to Illustrator what the canvas is to Photoshop. Period.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I wonder if anybody know if there is a possibility to change the art board size symmetrical !

The same way when we hold the option key to resize a rectangle object symmetrically.

Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, I found your answer very, very helpful.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome, ofee.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I had the same issue when designing a banner with a size of 5800 mm x 2400mm . the same box popped up when i clicked create because it surpasses the canvas size limit. However, what you can do is create a new  artwork  and set the  size to a smaller ratio. Basically what i did was set the size by 50% smaller ratio making the art board dimensions  2900 mm x 1200 mm. After I sent it to the printing company, I specifically  told them that the artwork I sent to them  is in a 50% ratio and that they would have scale to rescale it back to its original size to print.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob,

If there's no canvas in Illustrator, how come I get an error message saying, "Artboard size can not be bigger than CANVAS size", when I try to make a large artboard?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RPCappa,

Because whoever started using the term, in error messages and/or elsewhere, had failed to realize it.

Some day, (almost) everyone may use this basically misleading term with its implication of a (non existing) background, and we shall have to really waste time in the Illustrator forum explaining that there is no background (of any colour) in an Illustrator file.

Here is just one of many threads over there in the past, showing that it had not crept in in CS4:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2211879#2211879

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no point in being rude to people bro. get over yourself.

its a canvas.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there Gert,

You can resize the canvas by going to File > Document Setup. In the top right hand corner of the dialogue window there's a button that says Edit Artboard. It will then highlight the artboard selected. You can then press Enter (Return) and it will open up the Artboard Options where you can change the size, orientation, etc.

You can also select the artboard using the "artboard tool" located in the toolbar which looks like a square with little tick marks at the corners. In either case the artboard options will also show up in the top bar if you want to quick adjust items without having to go into the dialogue window.

I'm using CS5 on a mac but I'm assuming the process is at least somewhat similar.

Hope this helps!

-ben

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ben! I was looking for this answer.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! Thanks for asking this question and for Ben's answer - super helpful.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG!  Thank you!  Like Gert, I'm a Photoshop person who is new to Illustrator. I'm learning Web Design vs. Development and my instructor wants us to use Illustrator for our final site maps and Word for our preliminaries.  I'd use Visio if left to my own devices.    Sadly, my Word site map is prettier but I digress.  Her critique of my draft was that I didn't need to include the social media links on my map.  So I have to go in to Illustrator and shrink my Artboard (aka Canvas in the Photoshop person's mind). I used the Artboard tool but when I tried to change the size in the menu bar like I do when I scale in Photoshop.  That centered a smaller Artboard cropping off the right side of my map.  I moved it but it moved the Artboard and the "work". I went in your way - praying it was still there since I'm on CC(2014) and it is. I found little toggle handles that I could drag to make the board a better size for my new smaller map.  It was so easy.  I feel stupid now but I remember Photoshop being a beast to learn as well. I also want to conquer InDesign. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This allowed me to adjust my Artboard Size (Illustrator users) / Canvas Size (Photoshop users). Yay!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to help

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this, much more helpful than pedantry of a certain other. When you open a new document it asks you how big you want to make it so obviously you can resize it. Certain people with certain attitudes make the internet a very woeful place. Thank you Benbankson for answering this it's been bugging me for days. I've ended up just starting again with a new document.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Canvas size is different than artboard size. I am also looking for a way to resize the canvas which is the working area where multiple artboards can be placed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

penuk36660701  schrieb

Canvas size is different than artboard size. I am also looking for a way to resize the canvas which is the working area where multiple artboards can be placed.

You can't resize the canvas.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sad, sad world . You can't resize it in Ai, but in InDesign it has no problem. There it is called "pasteboard" and can be changed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you're comparing apples to oranges.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For printing one may need a big size canvas, but for creating vector artwork one doesn't really need such a huge canvas. Maybe that is why this constrain in AI exists.

The printing ratio could be also changed though.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welp, I guess my answer to whether I can precisely input artboard dimensions was already answered long ago!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how do i make the canvas fit the new artboard size.... i tried the scale but cannot get it to work....thanks elaine

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Elaine,

That rather depends on your definition of canvas.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there Elaine,

Not quite sure what you mean... could you elaborate a little more? Are you trying to resize an existing project or pull a project into a new one?

Sincerely,

Ben

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
May 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I do not at all like the 227 inch restriction being in the large format print business the terms do often get confused. Sadly the ability to make the canvas itself larger is not a new feature in CS6.   80% of our work is done in Illy and while we can work at scale for what we do why should we have to? When designing for a 648" trailer (yes 54 foot), we need to print and/or cut the design at full size. So we always have to increase the files in our print system by 400% or whatever which is an unnecessary step.

As far as the terms, the main background is indeed called the canvas. It is not possible to change the size of the canvas. Period, not happening in Illustrator although most other vector programs do allow this. Artboards sit on top of the canvas and essentially act as containers (and print clipping masks) for artwork. Artwork can also be outside of the artboards, if printed anything outside of the artboards will not print. You can also have multiple artboards on the same canvas. Adobe has a decent explanation of the canvas and artboards here http://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/artboard-overview.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, finally. Someone who knows Illustrator well and answered the question: Can you resize the canvas after uploading a file from, let's say, rhinoceros3d.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, thanks Ben it seems that you are in the same industry as I am; the large format printed graphic and sign business or people that deals with very very large scale not desktop stuff. That 227 limitation can be a problem for sure in our business. Glad you clarified that and hope Adobe does something about it. However, CorelDraw is capable of handling larger working areas.

www.glennracoma.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks MixManSC1, this was exactly the answer I was looking for. You explained it best. Too bad Adobe does not allow the canvas size to be set.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Resources
Add a group