Highlighted

How to scale objects with a custom reference point in Illustrator?

New Here ,
May 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not really sure how to frame the question, but I'm trying to figure out how/if I can transform objects in Illustrator the same way I can in Photoshop, as seen in this gif. I'm not talking about the Reference Point section of the Tranform panel. When I use the free transform tool, I can easily move the center reference point, but when I Option + Shift + Click and drag a corner, it does not scale based on where I moved that reference point. It just scales from the center, no matter what. Any ideas?

ezgif-1-5efc4c82d186.gif

Apologies in advance if this has already been discussed in the Community—I just didn't find anything related to this in any of my searches.

{Renamed by MOD}

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by pixxxel_schubser | Most Valuable Participant

Hi @zacp77572021,

use the Scale Tool with reference point.

scale_about_referencePoint_01.pngscale_about_referencePoint_02.pngscale_about_referencePoint_03.png

Topics

How to, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How to scale objects with a custom reference point in Illustrator?

New Here ,
May 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not really sure how to frame the question, but I'm trying to figure out how/if I can transform objects in Illustrator the same way I can in Photoshop, as seen in this gif. I'm not talking about the Reference Point section of the Tranform panel. When I use the free transform tool, I can easily move the center reference point, but when I Option + Shift + Click and drag a corner, it does not scale based on where I moved that reference point. It just scales from the center, no matter what. Any ideas?

ezgif-1-5efc4c82d186.gif

Apologies in advance if this has already been discussed in the Community—I just didn't find anything related to this in any of my searches.

{Renamed by MOD}

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by pixxxel_schubser | Most Valuable Participant

Hi @zacp77572021,

scale_about_referencePoint_01.pngscale_about_referencePoint_02.pngscale_about_referencePoint_03.png

Topics

How to, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 23, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
May 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @zacp77572021,

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 23, 2020 0