• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How would you make a spiral coil in illustrator?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2014 Jan 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I would like to make something like this:

http://www.colorado.edu/physics/phys2020/phys2020_sp05/ConceptTests/faraday02/figures/transformer.jpg

but without the "laminated iron core". So what I need to know is how to make those spiral shapes. I tried using some tools but it was pretty hard to do by hand so it actually looked good.

Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I should mention that I'm by no means a pro using illustrator so if it's possible to describe the steps in a pedagogic way that would be very helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that particular example could be made with a smooth zig zag effect, if you want it that simple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hm. yeah, but it looks a bit less "realistic" compared to the picture I posted. And you don't get nice connection points at the ends since you want to connect horizontal lines to the ends. Is there a way to make it a bit better than just a standard smooth zig zag?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

like the dude said, expand it and draw your ends manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Draw a rectangle and fill it with the color you want.

Effect/Stylize/scribble

Screen shot 2014-01-29 at 7.57.25 AM.png

Dink with your settings

Screen shot 2014-01-29 at 7.58.37 AM.png

Screen shot 2014-01-29 at 7.59.20 AM.png

Object/Expand Appearance

Screen shot 2014-01-29 at 7.59.31 AM.png

Amaze your friends.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See this thread, posts 8 through 10:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3800045#3800045

Do a search in this forum for "JET spiral" (without the quotes) and you'll find other threads demonstrating a variety of approaches.

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! The links were really great. One thing I'm wondering though, I can't seem to do what you're supposed to do in the third step here:

http://www.illustrationetc.com/AIbuds/SpringSpineBrush.pdf

I think the design they have in the 9th step would be close to ideal for me. But when I do the third step only the lower right quarter of the ellipse seems to move. I don't get how they make the entire spiral move around the right point. Could anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here’s another kind of spiral done by mapping diagonal lines onto a 3D cylinder.

3Dspriral.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As shown here in 2008 (and before). Step-by-step on page 2:

MoreSpirals

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i don't think i'd ever really played with the reshape tool before now, but make sure you have the whole object selected before using it on the point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But when I do the third step only the lower right quarter of the ellipse seems to move.

After cutting the path, deselect it. Then select the whole path (use the black pointer). Then get the Reshape Tool. Click (mouseup, mousedown) on the anchor. A box appears around it. Then drag (mousedown, drag, mouseup).

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2014 Jan 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok so I got the third step to work. However, I don't understand what to do on the fifty step. I do this:

Brush.png

Unfortunately my illustrator is in Swedish which I don't like, but "Mönster" is "pattern" in Swedish so it seems like it's that one. Then I get a new window on my screen:

Brush window.png

And this part looks nothing like the step-by-step guide I'm following. What exactly am I supposed to do here? If I click ok on that window I still don't see a way to do what the guide tells me to do. Does anyone know?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2014 Jan 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. So I chose "none" on the left option so it had the exact same form as before. Then I dragged the shape onto my drawing board and pulled the "invisible box" like the guide states that you should do. So now I've got this:

smartbox.png

So, now I choose the black pointer and select the whole path, press alt and drag the path back to the brush tile. When I let go I get another one of these windows though...:

Brush tile madness.png

Again I have no idea what to choose or if I should just click ok. But, I try clicking ok since I really have no idea. I draw a vertical line and apply the brush and this comes out:

spiral madness.png

as you can see the spiral looks different from what it's supposed to. So what am I doing wrong from what the guide tells me to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 31, 2014 Jan 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i think i see the problem; your brush segment has a fill. so each segment is obscuring part of the one next to it. remove the fill and amend the brush again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2014 Jan 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

spiral madness 2.png

Yes! That seemed to do it. Thanks a bunch!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines