Highlighted

Illustrator 2020 not saving PDF compatible files even with "Create PDF compatible file" box checked!

Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very frustrated with the new Illustrator. Not only is it having problems saving (unless I do a "Save As"), but I cannot create a PDF file from Illustrator, even with the "Create PDF compatible file" box checked before I save the AI document. What the heck is going on? A lot of lost time trying to figure this out and I'm getting very frustrated!

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out. We have tried to address this issue in our latest build of 24.1.2. If you are not already on v 24.1.2, then we recommend you to update to latest version and let us know how it goes. 

Regards,

Srishti

Topics

Bug, Import and export, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Illustrator 2020 not saving PDF compatible files even with "Create PDF compatible file" box checked!

Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very frustrated with the new Illustrator. Not only is it having problems saving (unless I do a "Save As"), but I cannot create a PDF file from Illustrator, even with the "Create PDF compatible file" box checked before I save the AI document. What the heck is going on? A lot of lost time trying to figure this out and I'm getting very frustrated!

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out. We have tried to address this issue in our latest build of 24.1.2. If you are not already on v 24.1.2, then we recommend you to update to latest version and let us know how it goes. 

Regards,

Srishti

Topics

Bug, Import and export, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which OS are you using?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First  check to see if they added a setting in prefs >> file handling.

Have been working late hours so have not downloaded 2020 yet, but they may have finally changed the default, so Illustrator is faster and saves smaller files. Understandably not good if you need to drop in Indesign or After Effects.

With Illustrator quit, You should be able to edit your Illustrator prefs, in a text editor. The file on Mac is here. The folder is hidden so you need to in finder >> go >> hold down option to see library folder..  

/Users/YOURNAME/Library/Preferences/Adobe Illustrator 23 Settings/en_US/Adobe Illustrator Prefs

Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 9.26.36 AM.png

and flop the 0 to a 1

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just got off the phone with an Adobe tech. He took control of my screen and we ended up deleting all old preferences files from past versions of Illustrator.  Fixed the problem!  They should either let people know that when they download the new version or make a fix to this.  The tech downloaded some AI pref files and system reports to take back to their team.  Now to get back to work!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. This worked for me. Make sure to quit Illustrator and start it again (and I actually had to do that twice for some reason).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good!  Glad to help!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same! Tried this and worked 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had been struggling to save as well until I restarted the program. Thanks for the advice! Running smoothly now.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I experienced the same issue, but so far with one doc only - but then again, I only upgraded to 2020 in last week. I (fortunately) still have AI 2019 on my MBP, so I made a copy of the 'problem' doc and opened then saved as PDF in AI2019 without any problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Out of the blue - Ive started receiving this message:

"This is an Adobe® Illustrator® File that was saved without PDF Content. To Place or open this le in other

applications, it should be re-saved from Adobe Illustrator with the "Create PDF Compatible File" option turned on. This option is in the Illustrator Native Format Options dialog box, which appears when saving an Adobe Illustrator le using the Save As command."

Turned off my wireless internet connection and it allowed me to export one file yesterday. Now this started again today. Wireless is still off. Very frustrating... please help.

{Renamed By MOD}

Illustrator 2020. Mac OS 10.14.6

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

An error exists on new update 24.0 Illustrator 2020 saving as PDF.

When I save as PDF and I open it with Adobe Acrobat, it has no content, only paragraphs telling it's empty. I've tried to save it with default print presets, but it doesn't work. The file is not the problem, an older Illustrator version save it as PDF correctly. 

Am I doing something wrong??

Thanks!

{Renmaed By MOD}

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Esther,

Sorry to hear about the trouble you are facing with Illustrator. Would you mind sharing some more information like:

1. The version of the Operating System.
  2. Would you mind sharing the screenshot of the workflow that you are following?

All this information will help us understand the issue better and assist accordingly.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards

Rishabh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing with some of my clients. Mine works fine but this seems to be a common issue fyi.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Nov 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please share a screen shot. “paragraphs telling it's empty” isn’t familiar at all. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rishabh,

I'm working with macOS Catalina version 10.15. I can see there is an update available.

I'm asking my support team to update it as soon as possible and I'll check if the problem keep going.

I'll keep you posted!

Thanks for your speed

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again!

It works fine now. I've only updated my macOS version.

I'm using the same file and configuration to export. 

Sorry I can't provide any further help.

Thank you

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear it has been resolved! Feel free to reach out if you run into any other questions or issues in the future. Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paul,

Sorry to hear about the trouble you are facing with Illustrator while exporting PDF. Could you please try resetting the preferences by following the steps below:

• Close Illustrator.
  • Click on the Finder icon on the dock, choose Go on the top> Go To Folder.
  • In the Go To Folder dialog box, type "~/Library". Click Go.
  • Open the Preferences Folder > rename the Illustrator  24 Settings folder to Illustrator  24 Settings folder.old
  • Under Preferences, Open Adobe folder and rename Adobe Illustrator folder to Adobe Illustrator.old
  • Go back to library->open caches->rename  com.adobe.illustrator to com.adobe.illustrator.old
  • Go back to library->open application support-> open adobe->rename the Illustrator  24 folder to Illustrator  24 folder.old

Disclaimer: Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and Illustrator will launch with default settings. This way all your old settings will be saved in .old folders and Illustrator will recreate new folders with default settings.

Let us know if this helps or if you need any further assistance.

Regards

Rishabh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This appears to have worked. Thank you. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear it has been resolved! Feel free to reach out if you run into any other questions or issues in the future. Thanks!   

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rishabh,

I am having the same problem, and followed your solution until:

• Go back to library->open caches->rename  com.adobe.illustrator to com.adobe.illustrator.old

** there is no com.adobe.illustrator file in there

• Go back to library->open application support-> open adobe->rename the Illustrator  24 folder to Illustrator  24 folder.old  ** there is no Illustrator 24 folder in there

Could you please help?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ashley,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Could you please confirm the exact version of OS and Illustrator you have?

Regards

Rishabh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac High Sierra 10.13.6

Illustrator 24.0.1 (Nov 2019)

Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Ashley for sharing the information. For macOS those folders should be at that location. Could you please refer to this help article here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/setting-preferences.html#setting_illustrator_preferences 

Let us know if this helps or if you need any further assistance.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that this solution worked for me (with Illustrator 2020 - version 24.0.3).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue and saw on another thread that if you paste the artwork into a brand new document it seems to fix the problem. It worked for me.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello - I followed these steps and it fixed the problem for a week and suddenly now its doing the same thing? Trying to follow the steps again but it wont let me because files are already saved as 'old'. 

Can someone help? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then trash the old "old" files and save new "old" files.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isnt a sustainable way to continue converting illustrator files to pdfs - there must be a new issue or reason as to why this is happening because its never happened in years of using both programmes. 

Can anyone from Adobe advise on this?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found your solution back in November and it worked fine. Then about 2 weeks ago the issue with creating pdfs started again. I repeated these steps and found the .old files were still there with a new folder with the names in your instructions there. Then the issue happened again today. 

Is there a way to fix this problem so I don't have to repeat these steps all the time?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

100% agree. I'm not willing to go through the hassle of resetting my preferences everytime this issue arises.

I just tried restarting AI, opened the same file and resaved it with the same settings, and it worked fine.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello -

I am receiving the following error message when attempting to save a Press Quality PDF: 

"This is an Adobe® Illustrator® File that was

saved without PDF Content.

To Place or open this file in other

applications, it should be re-saved from

Adobe Illustrator with the "Create PDF

Compatible File" option turned on. This

option is in the Illustrator Native Format

Options dialog box, which appears when

saving an Adobe Illustrator le using the

Save As command."

I have tried the following troubleshooting without any success: 

• Resetting the preferences 
  • Copying and saving the content to a new file 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do a File > Save As and choose Illustrator as the format. In the second screen, select PDF Compatible File. (I may have the exact words wrong.)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jane-e,

Thank you for responding! Unfortunately that did not work either. It was already a selected option. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the first couple of submissions in the related box below your message. There are a couple of problems with old preference files.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All fixed guys, thank you!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stephanie, 
Did one of the answers above solve the issue? If yes, please mark the answer correct.

If not, what did you do to solve the issue?

Thanks!

Jeff

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What worked?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to the "related Conversations at the top right of this topic, resetting Preferences seems to work.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem with my subscription service. This morning (12/10) Adobe updated the software and now I cannot make PDFs in Illustrator. I have the same message as Stephanie. I save as Adobe Illustrator 2020 file with the 'Create PDF compatible file' item checked. When I 'Save As' and the conversion is complete, I have the error message.

Please Adobe, fix this bug!

M

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you already tried and reset the preferences?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did two things: I reset preferences for 2020 and opened the older file (before corrections) in 2019. I was able to save as PDF using the 2019 version fine. I can try with 2020 now but had to get the PDF off to a client.

M

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Resources
Add a group