• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator always opens Document in new Window

Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I create a new document or when I open an existing document Illustrator always opens a new window which is not attached to the program. I have to drag it first to the tabs so that it is inside of the program. I can't find the setting that changes this behavior.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Do you have "Open Documents As Tab" selected in the User Interface section of your Illustrator preferences? Check this and then quit the program and it should become the default. You may have to do it with no document open for it to become the default.

Screen Shot 2019-01-15 at 11.06.25 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have "Open Documents As Tab" selected in the User Interface section of your Illustrator preferences? Check this and then quit the program and it should become the default. You may have to do it with no document open for it to become the default.

Screen Shot 2019-01-15 at 11.06.25 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2019 Jan 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a lot, I searched a lot for this option but somehow missed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2019 Jan 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this selected, but i still have the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have Window > Application Frame checked?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2021 Aug 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not quite sure what you mean. But I am too experiencing this same problem ever since updating AI, extremly frustrating. I have unchecked the the box and files are contining to open as individual tabs. Screen Shot 2021-08-22 at 12.48.55 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 22, 2021 Aug 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if you have terminology mixed up here, but if you have the same problem as the OP, you need to check that box to solve it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2022 Dec 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you get to resolve this? I too have the same issue here. Although I unchecked everything, still the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 05, 2022 Dec 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And when both are checked?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2023 Oct 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem and this is checked. It launches a new Illustrator app, when it used to just open in an existing AI window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 18, 2023 Oct 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you opening files via File > Open or from your OS? Do you have more than one version of Illustrator installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2023 Oct 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah i came here to update. i noticed days ago that there's 2 versions of illustrator which idk why that is. i thought the new one will lalways overwrite the old one during updated - and that caused my computer to have 2 illustrators with different histories and different recent and recognized files.

Hyanri_0-1698134777344.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 24, 2023 Oct 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There's a checkbox for removing old versions when you update. If you uncheck it, it will leave the old version installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines