Highlighted

Illustrator Copy & Paste not working

New Here ,
May 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a rectangle and tried to select, Copy and paste- it wont work.  It lets me select but when I hit Ctrl -the selection tool changes to "direct selection" and shows a little curved line.  Then it wont let me Ctrl C-Ctrl V.  I also tried to just select and go to the edit menu and copy and that will not work either.

I used the pen tool to make a shape and see if I could copy that and its doing the same thing...so I think its some issue with the selection tool.

I dont know if I accidentally changed a setting or how I can fix this, but its very frustrating.  Please help!! 

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Illustrator Copy & Paste not working

New Here ,
May 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a rectangle and tried to select, Copy and paste- it wont work.  It lets me select but when I hit Ctrl -the selection tool changes to "direct selection" and shows a little curved line.  Then it wont let me Ctrl C-Ctrl V.  I also tried to just select and go to the edit menu and copy and that will not work either.

I used the pen tool to make a shape and see if I could copy that and its doing the same thing...so I think its some issue with the selection tool.

I dont know if I accidentally changed a setting or how I can fix this, but its very frustrating.  Please help!! 

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 03, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you use Edit > Copy resp Edit > Paste?

If that works: check Edit > Shortcut keys.

If that doesn't work: Do you have a clipboard enhancement installed or turned on?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 03, 2018 0
New Here ,
May 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit >Copy is also not working.

How would I check to see if I have a clipboard enhancement installed or turned on?

Thanks so much for your help!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 03, 2018 0
May 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you may need to trash your Illustrator preferences.

To do so:

You can try the quick way of resetting on a PC which is to hold down Ctrl + Alt + Shift when launching Illustrator and respond affirmatively when asked if you want to reset. There have been some recent reports that the window asking if you want to reset is not popping up but that the prefs are being reset anyway. If this works great but if it doesn’t you may have to manually delete them.

To do so:

On Windows 7 and above the preference files are hidden. To find them go to the Control Panel and open Folder Options and then click the View tab. Then select “Show hidden files and folders” or “Show hidden files, folders or drive options” in Advanced Settings. Then delete (or rename) the folder at the end of this path: C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator [version number]\ Settings\<Language>. Make sure that Illustrator is closed when you do this. When you relaunch the program it will create  new preference files and the program will be at its default settings.

The advantage of manually deleting preference files is that after you’ve reset up the program (make sure that no document window is open) to your liking, you can create copies of your personalized “mint” preference files (make sure that you quit the program before copying them—that finalizes your customization) and use them in the future to replace any corrupt versions you may need to delete.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 03, 2018 1
May 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before resetting your preferences you might want to try and restart the computer.

Clipboard enhacement usually needs to be installed. You should remember this kind of thing.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 03, 2018 1
New Here ,
May 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have this issue as well. Trashing my preferences, both through the keyboard shortcut and through manually deleting the folder, did not work. I don't have any clipboard management installed. Anyone have any ideas?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 25, 2018 0
May 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it just the shortcut that does not work?

Is it copy/paste inside Illustrator that does not work, or copy/paste to other applications?

What happens if you restart the computer and then launch only Illustrator, not even a browser or email or whatnot.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 25, 2018 0
Participant ,
Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is like the link

Illustrator Copy Clears the Clipboard

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 22, 2018 0
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same Issue on Windows 10 with Illustrator CC 23.0 (although it started earlier, I think I encountered it first after the additional control handles like corner rounding were introduced). Sometimes the object is in the clipboard after ctrl+c, sometimes the clipboard is emptied instead. This is especially frustrating when I paste with ctrl+f, since I only find out a few steps later that the copy did not work. I think it does not happen for all types of objects, as far as I remember I have never encountered it for text, but often for rectangles, polygons or lines (every third time I try to copy maybe). The fact that it does empty the clipboard tells me that it did register the key press.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 31, 2018 0
Participant ,
Feb 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problem here...I can't copy anything from any Illustrator file now...I swear the software gets buggier and buggier

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 24, 2019 1
New Here ,
May 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simply reset the preference setting by pressing crtl+ alt+ shift while opening the app. Ive got the same issue and fixed it in 5 seconds.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 25, 2019 1
Resources