• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator CS4 Text Rotation not working as it has in the past

Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2009 Sep 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I attempt to rotate a text element, the text does not rotate along with the textbox that it was created inside. Instead, it always stays at the top of the text box and moves left/right (I hope that is an accurate description). Anyone know what is going on with this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Sep 16, 2009 Sep 16, 2009

I think I know what it is happening in this case.... I have time and was trying to reproduce the issue..

1. Here I have a text  and a text inside a container (Block text)

Picture 3.png

2. Here I use the rotate tool, every thing goes as expected

Picture 5.png

3. Here I used the free Transform tool. and as you can see, that tool rotates the container but not the text itself,  so that's the "problem"...

use the rotate tool instead the transfor tool...

Picture 4.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you are selecting the container and the text, and not just the container.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here's a video of what is happening:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thisisdarby/3924383276/?processed=1&cb=1253051167707

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Sep 16, 2009 Sep 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jamie

I can remember a long time ago (very old) a similar case, really weird, as far as I can remember, no solution but if you wish you can follow the answers here

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/319685

Could you please upload the ai file as an attachment to look into....I am curious again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will post up my file later this afternoon, I'm at work right now. It's basically a new file with just the one text element. I just installed CS4 yesterday (I've used it many times prior) but this behavior that I'm getting is just bizarre.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I know what it is happening in this case.... I have time and was trying to reproduce the issue..

1. Here I have a text  and a text inside a container (Block text)

Picture 3.png

2. Here I use the rotate tool, every thing goes as expected

Picture 5.png

3. Here I used the free Transform tool. and as you can see, that tool rotates the container but not the text itself,  so that's the "problem"...

use the rotate tool instead the transfor tool...

Picture 4.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright, the rotate tool worked, I didn't think of using that. It seems very odd that Adobe made the change to CS4 that caused the Move tool to behave like that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2015 Jun 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Very odd" is a nice way to put it.  I can't think of a use case where I would want to have the text box container rotate, but have the text remain horizontal.  The majority of the time the text container isn't even visible in my documents.  This also represents a backward step in the process of rotating text, because now I have to open Transform->Rotate, and rotate manually by trial and error.  This should really be reported as a bug because no developer in his or her right mind should ever have made this change to the software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 09, 2016 Jun 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree 100% with you. I don't understand why i need to Open Transform and the Rotate which is a very slow process instead of just moving freely my text around. This feature and the Clipping Mask on an image instead of just moving the anchor points to fit the right composition are the two things that really bothers me of Illustrator.

I hope some smart person might have develop a script or tool to override this very unfriendly commands.

Cheers,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2020 Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is an old issue, but wanted to add a solution I just discovered because this was the first answer that popped up when I searched this problem. 

- Click on the text box

- Double click on the round anchor handle to convert to Point Type

Now you can rotate it by hand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This was very helpful and I'm glad it is such a quick fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the quick fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

legend

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines