• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator is crashing on M1 Mac (macOS Big Sur)

New Here ,
Nov 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am using Illustrator on a new Macbook Pro with M1 apple silicon. While using the software it often starts to randomly freeze and after a few minutes everything works again. Sometimes the whole mac is frozen for several minutes and Illustrator crashes completely. Not seeing anyone eelse reproting the problem und no issue desiriped my adobe on the M1 side i was wondering what could be rhe reason for this problem. Thank you!

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Hi all,

We have recently released an update for Illustrator 2021 (v 25.3.1) which is compatible with Apple Silicon & contains multiple bug fixes. Please follow the steps shared here to update your app.

For more information about this release, please check out this help article.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 157 Replies 157
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop is the first app that comes as a beta version for M1.

As for Illustrator, you can tryand report it as a bug.

Please post bugs & feature requests to http://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same problem on an M1 MacBook Air. I have no idea why this is such an issue. Basically every other non-native app I've used so far performs flawlessly, but Illustrator is an absolute mess, with tons of crashing even on absolutely tiny documents and a failure to correctly render tons of artwork in GPU mode. CPU mode, meanwhile, is extremely sluggish. I have no idea why the app crashes so badly that I have to force-restart my computer. It's happened almost 10 times today and I can't stand it anymore. How is anyone supposed to wait until mid-2021 for this? Why isn't there already a beta up for a native version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear that someone else is experiencing the same issues. For me the Rosetta 2 Photoshop version just works fine. Therefore, it seems to be an Illustrator specific problem und not a Rosetta 2 one

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post to uservoice.

There you will contact the engineers directly.

This forum is a public forum and at least 95% of people are not even staff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here! I haven't seen macbook sluggish like that before! 

Is it V25.0.1 fix this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing happened to me on new M1 MacBook Air. Everything else has run smoothly and today I used illustrator and it kept crashing. I had to force restart since I couldn't even force quit illustrator. I was afraid I didn't have enough ram, but now I'm wondering if it has to do with the beta version of illustrator running on the M1. I'd really like to figure this out before I exchange the MacBook for one with more ram.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2020 Dec 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same happens to me! It's impossible to work! I hope they will fixed asap!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing happened to me on new M1 MacBook Pro. I`m using Big Sur.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try turning off iCloud Drive, it solved the problem in my case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running in to the same issue. It's also just as present for me with InDesign. Unusable at this point. Confused why more time wasn't put in to other betas than Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I'm also experiencing those problems with indesign. I hope a fix or a native M1 beta will soon be made available for those as well. It's very difficult to use this mac in a productivity environement as is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah same over here. I've always had problems with InDesign performance on my macs and I really had hoped the M1 chip would at least boost the performance. But it seems like the bugs have evolved to boss-level productivity killers. I just had to force shut-down my MacMini the third time this week...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2020 Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
I am too experiencing all of these issues discussed. I am using the new macbook pro M1 and have been concerned to why I my system keeps freezing and applications arent responding when using adobe programs. It is also concerning that it is affecting the rest of my system too (not just on illustrator etc). I am a designer and need to work - will it be detrimental to my system if I continue using whilst the bug is active?
I am new to all of this so is confusing to me! Also most frustrating as my CC account and my Macbook Pro M1 are brand new, but performance is as bad as I've ever experienced. 

Thanks,

Will

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently, all Adobe apps except the Photoshop beta mentioned above are running under emulation on the new Mac hardware. I don't think it's a good idea for anyone to rely on this setup for production. It's rarely a good idea to rely on anything bleeding-edge to work straight out the gate.

In early 2021, when natively-running versions start being released, things will improve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay thanks. I have 2 questions:
- Would you reccommend not using these programs until early 2021 (or until things improve)?

- Is it normal for the rest of my system to be struggling alot even when I'm not actually actively using Adobe programs (they are just open)?

Best,

Will

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have an M1 Mac, so I couldn't tell you what's normal.

If I was in a production environment with one, I would make sure I had an older machine running until I was sure the newer worked perfectly with my workflow. Whether that's as soon as new versions are released or later is a question that depends on many variables.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2020 Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem brand new M1Macbook Pro and fresh AI installtion 2021 version. Uner Preference (Performance) uncheck GPU, and it now working fine with no issue so far. Keeping my fingers crossed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi thanks, but i cant find GPU anywhere on the system? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@WillRichardsonIt's in the specific adobe app preferences. Uncheck the GPU checkbox in the performance section.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks a lot, it looks like problem is solved for npow.... But I really hope, that soon will be new Adobe release, that will be siutible fot macbook M1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Illustrator preference file look for performance. Pls see screen shot, so far once it's turned off, it's working flawlessly so far so good after a day already. No crash and spinning wheel.

910B29F8-0E1B-49A4-BE4B-F750D07C5519.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fixed it for me, thanks! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having exactly the same problem.

My M1 Macbook Pro gets frozen for a few minutes all the time once opened Illustrator, and some time will crash other applications and even the whole system.... completely not usable.

It looks like turning off GPU improves a bit but the crashing problem still exists! And doing it really affects the drawing experience.

I hope Adobe will solve it ASAP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines