Highlighted

Illustrator is slow and keeps "not responding"

Explorer ,
Feb 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I use Adobe Illustrator, tasks that should take 5 seconds end up taking 60 because after every single action I do, Illustrator "stops responding". I've tried resetting my Illustrator settings (which requires me to submit a ticket with IT and have them enter the admin password on my computer, so I'd rather not try it again) but it didn't work.

The file only has about three layers, so I don't think it's very complex. On another note, because it's been converted from a PDF, the text is in many bits and pieces, so perhaps that has something to do with how laggy it is? Otherwise I have no idea why it's so slow.

It seems that Illustrator gets slow if I have the document open for longer than a day. Because I was working on it for days, I had it open at work continually. It's a bit annoying that I have to remember to close it once a day to make sure I can work on the file, but it's nice that I can actually work on it.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Illustrator is slow and keeps "not responding"

Explorer ,
Feb 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I use Adobe Illustrator, tasks that should take 5 seconds end up taking 60 because after every single action I do, Illustrator "stops responding". I've tried resetting my Illustrator settings (which requires me to submit a ticket with IT and have them enter the admin password on my computer, so I'd rather not try it again) but it didn't work.

The file only has about three layers, so I don't think it's very complex. On another note, because it's been converted from a PDF, the text is in many bits and pieces, so perhaps that has something to do with how laggy it is? Otherwise I have no idea why it's so slow.

It seems that Illustrator gets slow if I have the document open for longer than a day. Because I was working on it for days, I had it open at work continually. It's a bit annoying that I have to remember to close it once a day to make sure I can work on the file, but it's nice that I can actually work on it.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Feb 02, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your post is a little confusing as to whether this is something that is happening with every document or just a single one that was originally a pdf. If it is the latter situation then the multiple insertion points that the text has been converted to may very well be the cause of your problem depending on the amount of text as well as the complexity of the layout.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 02, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since February 6th, Adobe Illustrator CC 2019 is unbearable: I am not converting from a PDF: I am creating new documents, maximum 6 layers, and with every single command I receive "Illustrator not Responding" and the lag time from the time I issue a command to the time there is a response can last as long as two minutes.  Furthermore, the line weight command will not draw a line less than 4 points.  It took an hour to knock out a simple one page flyer that should have taken 20 minutes.  I am running Windows 10 64 bit with the most current upgrade.  A quick diagnosis tells me the GPU is working fine: I am using NVIDIA Quattro 1000M.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 07, 2019 0
Feb 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

srjanssen  schrieb

Since February 6th, Adobe Illustrator CC 2019 is unbearable: I am not converting from a PDF: I am creating new documents, maximum 6 layers, and with every single command I receive "Illustrator not Responding" and the lag time from the time I issue a command to the time there is a response can last as long as two minutes.  Furthermore, the line weight command will not draw a line less than 4 points.  It took an hour to knock out a simple one page flyer that should have taken 20 minutes.  I am running Windows 10 64 bit with the most current upgrade.  A quick diagnosis tells me the GPU is working fine: I am using NVIDIA Quattro 1000M.

Please create a new thread.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 08, 2019 0
Feb 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to take some time and "fix" your insertion points so that the text becomes flowable, and hopefully less complex, you can do so using Area Type. To do so Draw a box around an area of text that you want to make into flowable text. Lock the box (Command (Mac)/Control (PC)-2). Select all of the text with the direct selection tool and Cut it (Command (Mac)/Control (PC)-X). Unlock the box (Option (Mac)/Alt (PC)-Command (Mac)/Control (PC)-2). Click on the box with the Area Type tool and paste in (Command (Mac)/Control (PC)-V) the text into the box. It is now flowable. Caution, though, occasionally a space between words may get dropped. It can be an arduous process but it will leave you with an .ai file that is far less complex. See screen shot below:

Screen+Shot+2017-06-26+at+11.42.01+AM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 02, 2018 0
Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 06, 2018 0
Benisa LATEST
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, were you able to solve?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 23, 2020 0
Resources