• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

importing png with transparent background into illustrator CS6

New Here ,
Aug 27, 2016 Aug 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen this question posted a bunch of times yet none of them are answered correctly it seems. When I try and paste or place a png with a transparent background into Illustrator CS6 (Windows 8.1 64) it does not recognize the transparency. The silly workaround that I have found is dragging/pasting into Powerpoint first and then cutting and pasting into Illustrator, et voila, transparent background is preserved. What is going on? How can I fix this super annoying problem? Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 27, 2016 Aug 27, 2016

Illustrator will not recognize the transparency in a png if the png is pasted into Illustrator. Instead of copy/paste, first save the png and then File > Place it into Illustrator. Or if you drag the png to your desktop, then drag it into Illustrator it should keep the transparency.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The silly workaround that I have found is dragging/pasting into Powerpoint first and then cutting and pasting into Illustrator

Does that Really really work !  it does not make any sense to me .

Illustrator is a " vector" based application and Png is a Pixel file format,

To Maintain Transparency you can either: open or place the png file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2016 Aug 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the Powerpoint copy/past does work. I wish I knew why.

No, using place does not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2019 Nov 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@spaceguy_spiff, TY for sharing the PowerPoint trick. The "Place" function requires that you keep the original file where it was at the time of placing it.

How did you learn the trick? I hope Adobe works on this...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 03, 2019 Nov 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using the outdated CS6, then no, Adobe is not working on that one anymore.

As for that PowerPoint "trick": PNG comes in a multitude of flavors, it has a gazillion of options and stuff and no, Illustrator doesn't understand all of those.

Placing a file doesn't necessarily require you to keep the placed file. It depends if you link or embed the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator will not recognize the transparency in a png if the png is pasted into Illustrator. Instead of copy/paste, first save the png and then File > Place it into Illustrator. Or if you drag the png to your desktop, then drag it into Illustrator it should keep the transparency.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure this is it? I just did some tests. My PNG got a black background when importing via drag and drop and also via  File->Place. What made the black background go away is saving the PNG differently:

- if I allowed Paint.NET to automatically determine the bit depth, the background would be black in Illustrator

- if I set the bit depth to 32 bit, the background was correct (transparent) in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2021 Sep 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works for me: Open PNG in Photoshop. Save as .psd. Open in Illustrator and check "make layers from objects". Voila.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2021 Oct 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that what Claudia said is correct. It looks like it has the white background but when you choose Select > Show Transparency Grid the background does disappear. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2023 Aug 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thanks you save my lot of time , now i dont copy and paste in illustrator but i just drag into thanks ,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 28, 2016 Aug 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On top of wht has already been said there are a couple of options and versions in which PNG can be saved (from numerous applications which might or might not do this correctly).

Illustrator maybe does not understand all of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2018 Jul 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simple

Open in photoshop

Use "save for web " and save as "png" and opt for "png -24" .

Make sure that Transparency box is checked, or else turn it on and save.

now drag and drop it into illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2018 Jul 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem and it tuned out to be the PNG's Color Mode was the cause.

If I opened the PNG in Photoshop its Mode was "Indexed".

Once I changed it to CMYK I was able to export it as a PNG that maintained it's transparency in Illustrator.

I hope that helps!

- Thomas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 25, 2020 Dec 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having this problem also... going crazy because I knew this worked fine in other contexts. As @thomash96551741 said, the problem for me was also that this particular PNG was saved in Indexed mode instead of RGB mode. I just opened it in Photoshop, changed the mode to RGB, saved, and then dragged and dropped it into Illustrator and all was as expected again. I think others have commented that Illustrator might have trouble with certain format options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2019 Apr 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe that the aplha channel containing the transparency information gets removed somehow when copy pasting directly. Might be an issue with reading from the clipboard. (Illustrator does some funny stuff for example directly copy pasting text from Word has issues, but pasting within a textbox works perfectly).

There are numerous workarounds though. Place image / Copying from powerpoint etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2021 Sep 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here to say that the problem still exists in 2021 lol. The copy/paste from PowerPoint worked. I haven't bothered trying "save as" from Photoshop because I am not worried about transparency. 

Thanks for the tip! Still works five years later! 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2021 Oct 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1

I can say exactly the same thing. Same problem, can't work out why Illustrator doesn't seem to recognise the transparency, but found that the copy/paste via PowerPoint does the trick. Very strange.

So, yes, thanks to @spaceguy_spiff for the tip!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU! (Yes, I'm shouting!) I'm 100% with you, that nothing else seemed to work, but your solution did work! Only difference for me is that I used Google Slides instead of PowerPoint.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2022 Sep 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's because the PNG format has multiple "types" in the metadata I checked that the "paletteAlpha" type doesn't support transparency in Illustrator and appears with a black background, while "TrueColorAlpha" is working properly.

The way I have found to solve it is to change this format with the program Imagemagick

In my case the code that worked was the following:

magick convert input.png -type TrueColorAlpha -define png:include-chunk=none output.png

P.d.: PowerPoint makes the image work because when it copies it, it copies it in the format that PowerPoint provides, which happens to be a working format for Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2022 Sep 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, note that with Imagemagick you can batch-format images, which is astronomically more efficient than the Powerpoint trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines