Highlighted

Is it even possible to increase the font size in the Illustrator CC UI? Panels are unreadable!

Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the demise of my beloved Fireworks, I am giving Illustrator CC a try. Right off the bat it is unusable due to the microscopic font sizes in the UI, panels in particular. Is there any way to make the UI more readable?

ellencarnahan  wrote

126% made a big difference for me. Thank you Sanjay! Suddenly it's like the '90s all over again

Thanks for reviving this old thread. We have this feature in Illustrator CC 2019 - How to customize the Illustrator workspace

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Is it even possible to increase the font size in the Illustrator CC UI? Panels are unreadable!

Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the demise of my beloved Fireworks, I am giving Illustrator CC a try. Right off the bat it is unusable due to the microscopic font sizes in the UI, panels in particular. Is there any way to make the UI more readable?

ellencarnahan  wrote

126% made a big difference for me. Thank you Sanjay! Suddenly it's like the '90s all over again

Thanks for reviving this old thread. We have this feature in Illustrator CC 2019 - How to customize the Illustrator workspace

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 11, 2013 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jul 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In so many words: No. That stuff is hard-coded at the core.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 11, 2013 1
Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that just stinks. Not sure what I'm going to use now, but Illustrator sure isn't it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 11, 2013 2
Advocate ,
Jul 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can change the resolution of your monitor.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 11, 2013 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I should not have to change my screen settings to accomodate clueless design.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 11, 2013 5
Advocate ,
Jul 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suppose.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 11, 2013 0
Explorer ,
Oct 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing the monitor resolution doesn't change the the size of menu fonts or other interface feature in Adobe.  I've tried. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 17, 2013 0
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your resolution and operating system?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 18, 2013 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the products used native widgets and controls, O/S and screen resolution would be a non-issue. As is, the product is unusable because I apparently deviate from  your "standard" settings, whatever they are.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 18, 2013 0
Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rama,

Monitor 1 is a Dell S2340M set to 1920x1080.  Monitor 2 is a Samsung S20B350, set to 1600 x 900.  Both of these are the "recommended" settings for their respective monitors. 

I am running Windows 8.  Using the control panel,  I've adjusted all items to a medium setting of 125% as a normal practice.  In trying to resolve my issues with Illustrator, I experimented with increasing the Text Size for various items (title bars, menus, icons, etc) from the default of 9 to higher settings.  The effects showed in places like Office, but did not have any impact in Illustrator.  I am guessing that my text is being displayed at 8.  Here is a screen capture which will give you an idea of the relative size of the menu and icons to the overall screen

To some degree I have gotten used to dealing with the small text size in Photoshop because there are not as many icons, menus, etc, but Illustrator is really a challenge.  Any ideas? Risher_AI-Screen-Capture.jpg 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 18, 2013 1
Guru ,
Oct 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Risherp,

I searched for your monitor model and saw that it is 23 inches. I  used this link to find  out the physical size you are viewing your screen image.

http://members.ping.de/~sven/dpi.html

in comparison, on my monitor Illustrator is worse. This is my screen.

Untitled-1.jpg

To see the physical size I'm viewing it on my monitor, place this image in Illustrator and set its size to  23.53 inches wide by 13.24 inches high. Then display the rules and zoom until one inch  on the ruler in Illustrator equals one inch on a real life ruler.  Then you will see how small and cr*** the Illustrator UI is. It is pain in the a**

I have no doubt that the Illustrator UI design team use monitors from the last century with a fixed resolution of 72 ppi.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 18, 2013 1
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately there is no way the Icon & Font Size can be changed in Illustrator CC at present, but this is in our list.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 18, 2013 6
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curious where that change is on the list of things to do. Near the bottom?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 19, 2013 4
Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Rama...

Hopefully it is near the top of the list!

Regards,

Paulette

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 19, 2013 3
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an unbelievably frustrating issue. I asked about a dozen designers and its a silent grudge everyone seems to hold against the suite. I can't imagine why it would be difficult for a design pioneer like Adobe to make menues elastic. Photoshop does it badly with interface labels that try to scale inside of a fixed size menus causing readability issues, but at least it tries. The company pushes updates for things that don't exist as far as I'm concerned, yet this issue seems to be continously overlooked for years - why? Accessibility is not optional. It's not a 'nice-to-have'. Workflow speed and performance would be substantially improved if we didn't have to squint to read 6 point font. I'm sorry but I'm going to have to start a bunch of social media posts on the subject to try to get your attention. Every time an interface causes blood pressure to rise, it's time to act.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 05, 2014 13
Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave is absolutely right. I just started using a new 27" iMac thinking all my workflow speed issues will now be resolved... finally... but no. Adobe somewhere forgot that the basic interaction between man and machine is paramount. Seems like everything now (iOS included) is being designed by 22 year olds with perfect vision.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 11, 2014 8
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, my age is not far off the mark, and I am not a 'low-vision' user. I don't think demographics have anything to do with it actually; it's a matter of usability and productivity which suffer considerably when an interface is hard to use.

What gets me seeing red is that its a seemingly simple fix. The application is not universal by any means. It does not suffer from the crippling need to be backwards compatible going back several versions (if anything, Adobe's stance on upgrades has been rather militant, which I suppose is a good thing in this case), it does not run on mobile or some obscure build of linux.

It's definitely not a constraint of app size and considering they already chucked interface conventions used by Windows/OS X about 5 versions ago, why not just go the extra step and solve this problem. I would happily trade in the ability to select the shade of grey (really?) to selecting the font size. What do you think will have a greater impact on my performance?

All we can do is wait. On the other hand maybe its time to check out alternatives.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 13, 2014 4
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

17.1 update is released for Illustrator CC, this update contains support for HiDPI devices, with this update you can see Illustrator in enlarged mode.

Here is the excerpt from Release Notes

Adobe Illustrator extends HiDPI support to Windows-based devices. You can now view Illustrator in enlarged mode, as per text size preferences on a high-resolution displays.

• For displays with resolution greater than or equal to 1920*1080 & less than 2560*1440, Illustrator can be launched at 1.5 times scaled-up UI, depending on the OS text size.
  • For displays with resolution greater than or equal to 2560*1440, Illustrator can be launched at 1.5 times or 2 times scaled-up UI, depending on the OS text size.

For information on viewing or making adjustments in Windows, see:

-Rama

Illustrator Team

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 15, 2014 1
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"For displays with resolution greater than or equal to 1920*1080..."

That is so not helpful. Screen size and dpi are two different things, and it's the dpi that matters. You'd think the maker of graphics software would know that.

So where does my 1600x1200 screen size (higher than 96dpi) fall into their equation?

It probably doesn't so I'm probably still out of luck. I need font 2x now. 😞

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 16, 2014 2
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Risherp,

Can you try setting your windows scaling to 135 to 150%, log-off and login and relaunch AI. AI should launch at 150% scaling which should be good. Please let us know if it is working for you.

And this will work only with Illustrator 17.1 patch released on 16th Jan 2013.

Sanjay.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 17, 2014 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually we have set the limit of scaling to 150% on a monitor having at-least 1920X1080 because we have tried to keep all our UI usable at 150% scaling at this resolution. If user have less resolution then some of the UI elements will go out of the screen and will become unusable.

Similary, there is minimum resolution required for 200% scaling and it is 2560*1440 to avoid UI elements truncation.

Sanjay.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 17, 2014 0
Explorer ,
Jan 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sanjay,

This is a step in the right direction, but it creates ugly workflow related issues.  At 125% (my default), the font and icon size remains uncomfortably small.  If I use the Control Panel and reset my Windows' scaling from 125% to 150%, the Illustrator font and icons are much more readible.  Unfortunately, this 150% is awful for everything else. 

I don't want to use 150% for all of my Office and other applications. While, for a long work session I will change the scaling to 150%, most days when I am toggling between and among Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Explorer, and the Adobe suite, I can't afford the time to have to reset the scaling. 

Just to reaffirm,  I am not "low vision" from the accessibility perspective, I am just one of the 225 million Americans (75% of adults) that wear corrective lenses. 

Thank you for the effort but please keep this on the list for continued "customer requested" upgrades.  I just want to be able to adjust the menu font and icon size from within Illustrator and have those settings become the default.   

Regards,

Paulette

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 17, 2014 1
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paulette,

Can you try 130 % or even 126 %, anything greater than 125%. I guess it will trigger our scaling to 150% and you will not loose much on other app scaling.

Please let me know your experience with this setting.

Sanjay.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 17, 2014 2
Explorer ,
Jan 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sanjay,

The 126% definitely works.  It does appear to trigger the 150% scaling without making a noticeable difference in other apps. 

Thank you!

Regards,

Paulette

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 17, 2014 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Paulette for confirming 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 17, 2014 0
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is definitely a step in the right direction but I would much, much, much prefer if Adobe apps had a setting the PREFERENCES that allowed scaling of menu and other text instead of setting it for the computer as a whole. There's really no reason I should have to set something universally as a workaround for Adobe. Just sayin.

Thanks,

Ian

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 26, 2014 2
Explorer ,
Feb 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using a new iMac 27” all this talk about changing monitor resolution to use software that I pay more than $50 a month to use is bull. This problem has been around for awhile as monitor ppi has been going up UI font size has been going down.

Adobe fixed it in Photoshop with preference UI font size “Small  Medium  Large”. If it can be done in Photoshop why not Adobe software?

Its not like Adobe has not heard this before, so get busy and fix this issue. PLEASE

Thanks

Joe D

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 28, 2014 5
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updted to 17.1, and it made a difference. I will still not describe it as accessible, just barely able to read. I use a 15.6" monitor with 4K resolution (3200 x 1800). My vision is quite good, but with the WIndows setting to 200%, the toolbars in AI are about 5pt in physical size. Huge improvement, but I would certainly appreciate more control. 4K screens are here now, and Adobe seems to be just now adjusting for conventional HD. I'm working at a display density of around 235 pixels per inch.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 02, 2014 0
Explorer ,
Oct 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am so frustrated with Adobe's complete disregard for designer accessibility in their CS and CC programs.   There is no good reason that the font size of the commands and labels can't be even modestly adjustable.  Even with maximizing the contrast by using the dark theme, working with an excellent monitor, and bringing the panels out of the corners and into the workspace, working with these products is unnecessaryily tiring as I have to sit unnaturally close to the screen just to see what is there (and that is with glasses).   I am just learning Illustrator, but the problem exists in Photoshop as well.  Disappointing.

Paulette

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 10, 2013 7
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In OSX search for the "FontTheme_Panel.xml" file within the "Adobe Illustrator CC.app" package. (right click + "show package contents"). In it you'll see the code below.... I didn't mess with the "!ENTITY" kText values, just the "FontSize name=" values. You'll probably want to bump the "Text_Main_Large" size up to 13. Past that it doesn't read well but then again I guess you could set custom row heights for panels like layers.

And as always, back up the original and back up your altered file.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>

<!DOCTYPE ThemeParameters [

<!-- defines entities for the text ids -->

<!ENTITY kText_Main_Large "0"> <!-- default text id -->

<!ENTITY kText_Main_Small "1">

<!ENTITY kText_Title "2">

<!-- entity definitions for the font size schemes -->

<!ENTITY kFontSizeSchemeSmall "0">

<!ENTITY kFontSizeSchemeMedium "1">

<!ENTITY kFontSizeSchemeLarge "2">

]>

<ThemeParameters>

<ThemeFonts>

<FontSize name="&kText_Main_Small;" size="8" scheme="&kFontSizeSchemeSmall;" />

<FontSize name="&kText_Main_Small;" size="8" scheme="&kFontSizeSchemeMedium;" />

<FontSize name="&kText_Main_Small;" size="8" scheme="&kFontSizeSchemeLarge;" />

<FontSize name="&kText_Main_Large;" size="10" scheme="&kFontSizeSchemeSmall;" />

<FontSize name="&kText_Main_Large;" size="10" scheme="&kFontSizeSchemeMedium;" />

<FontSize name="&kText_Main_Large;" size="10" scheme="&kFontSizeSchemeLarge;" />

<FontSize name="&kText_Title;" size="12" scheme="&kFontSizeSchemeSmall;" />

<FontSize name="&kText_Title;" size="12" scheme="&kFontSizeSchemeMedium;" />

<FontSize name="&kText_Title;" size="12" scheme="&kFontSizeSchemeLarge;" />

</ThemeFonts>

</ThemeParameters>

Godspeed

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 19, 2014 1
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To chrisstraight: I am unable to find either the "FontTheme_Panel.xml" file or the "Adobe Illustrator CC.app" package, so was unable to try this solution. What version of OS X are you working in?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 15, 2016 0
Contributor ,
Jun 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using a 30" display at 2500 pixels in Mac at a pixel density of 101 ppi.

Even at that pixel density, the UI font size in the whole CC suite is a strain to work on all day.

It slows me down and makes my eyes tired.

I have the screen room, so I'd like to be able to enlarge my UI size.

This is a huge usability issue.

Even in Photoshop where one can supposedly increase the UI font size, it hardly makes a difference.

Please add the ability to enlarge the UI interface sizes. This is more important to me than more features within the app, as it directly affects every aspect of my work.

I should note that I have 20/20 vision.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 23, 2014 4
Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was using an iMac and got fed up with the lousy systems and software from Apple.  For the desktop Apple only goes as high as 16pt font.  I moved back to PC and got a 4K Benq monitor 3840 x2160.  What a shock going into Photoshop and needing a magnify glass to see layers, channels and tools.  Given this and Adobe's stupidity in removing Save For Web in 2015 CC I give Adobe a "F".  I do not want to hear that the legacy Save For Web is still there.  It isn't ! ! ! !  I went back to 2014 CC and there is a big difference in the quality and time it takes to save a file.  2014 CC still works the best.  My photos look better than the iMac.

I'm shopping around for another program to use such as On1's editing software.  Sorry Abobe but you've gotten too greedy and stupid in your software.  Monitors are only going to get better with resolution and displaying your work.  You need to adapt.  Get your act together Adobe.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 11, 2016 2
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll chime in here too...

I have 20/20 vision, and am a designer who works with the Creative Suite all day long.

Adobe continues to infuriate with it's incredibly hard-on-the-eyes interface. In this day and age, there's no excuse for poor UI. Shame on Adobe.

By all the comments I am reading on here, we should repeat our complaints independently in the general forum instead of them being buried on one thread.

Here's a link... Adobe Creative Cloud

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 17, 2014 5
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well... I just received a BenQ 32" 4k monitor, that is specifically made for graphic design and color proofing.

I have windows 7 scaled to 150%.

Photoshop and Illustrator palettes are unusable they are so small. I have to hold my face 10" from the monitor to see anything.

There must be away to increase palette and text size?

The work around I found was to set my monitor at a lower resolution 2560x1600, but that defeats the purpose of having a 4k monitor at 3840x2160 native.

I must be missing something?

Instead of adding silly, undemanding,  juvenile, little features and filters to the next edition of photoshop, it may be a good idea to make it usable first at higher resolution.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 03, 2015 0
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basically, I have to return my 4k graphics monitor because it is natively unusable with Adobe graphics software!!

How stupid is that!?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 03, 2015 0
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried the solution I proposed?

Chris StraightManaging Partner

Chris Straight Design, LLC

972-855-8764

On Sat, Jan 3, 2015 at 2:03 PM, quovadis123 <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 03, 2015 0
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try

although hacking into these graphic programs to make them work should not have to be a viable solution to inefficiency.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 03, 2015 0
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. I'd much rather have better UI controls than touchscreen type

editing.

Chris StraightManaging Partner

Chris Straight Design, LLC

972-855-8764

On Sat, Jan 3, 2015 at 2:08 PM, quovadis123 <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 03, 2015 0
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The truth is... we are not ready for 4k.

I made the mistake of buying a 4k tv, and because i got frustrated with that, I now have made the same mistake with a 4k monitor.

Back to 2560x1600 at 60hz, or even 1920x1080 at 144hz is still the best there is!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 03, 2015 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi quovadis123,

Which version of Ai, you are not able to scale properly at 150%? We had added support for 150% and 200% since AI CC 17.1.

Sanjay.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 06, 2015 0
Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop cs 2, and CS6

Illustrator cs6. Basically any Adobe application.

How do you change tool bar and font size of the Adobe GUI?

Especially with a 3840x2160 resolution, these tool bars become very small.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 07, 2015 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi quovadis,

We have added the scaling support with Ai 17.1 onwards.

Sanjay.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 15, 2015 0
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is this scale option in Illustrator and Photoshop?

In preferences, there is no option to change resolution or size.

Please advise

Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 15, 2015 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See post #18 in this thread. Read later posts as well for some details.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 15, 2015 0
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post 18 speaks of how to change windows resolution. Not how to change resolution within illustrator or Photoshop GUI's.

Any 4k monitor scaled to 150% in windows will result in minuscule illustrator or photo shop tool bars, fonts and palettes etc. (GUI)

If you down scale 3840x2160 native 4k resolution to 2560 x 1440 then the gui's will be larger, but the down scaling makes everything blurred.

For example Google Chrome, has an in-built scaler, so it can be scaled/zoomed to user preference regardless of windows scaling.

I see no option in preference to change the size (zoom and unzoom) the GUI.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 15, 2015 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi quovadis123,

With Ai 17.1 onwards, Ai automatically scales itself based on the OS scaling. So if you set OS scale to 150%, AI will automatically scale its UI to 150% and will look better. We also added a preference in 18.1 to turn off scaling completely or snap to higher or lower supported scale of Ai incase OS Scale is not exactly same as AI's supported scale. e.g. AI only supports 100%, 150% and 200% scaling and if in OS, you set scale to 125%, you will have option to either snap to 100% or 150% of UI scale of AI.

Sanjay.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 15, 2015 0
Explorer ,
Jan 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sanjay, where the this option to do this? Can you talk me through it please. Thanks, Jim

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 16, 2015 0
Explorer ,
Jan 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ps: On an imac with latest 18.1.1 illustrator CCScreen grab 2015-01-17 at 6.16.57 pm.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 16, 2015 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi lookinglassties,

On Mac, we support only 100% and 200% (Apple calls it hiDPI) and It is upto the OS to chose the 200% when required. 200% scaling is currently selected by OS on HiDPI retina displays. We don't have a custom scaling UI on Mac.

Sanjay.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 16, 2015 0
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to scale the UI on a Mac?

I just installed CS6 on a brand new 27-inch iMac with a "native" resolution of 2560 x 1440. I do very detailed work, and hoped that the new screen would improve my productivity.

But now I can no longer use Photoshop and Illustrator. I literally cannot SEE the tool icons. I can barely read the menu text in spite of setting it to the "largest" size. I don't know what to do. High-resolution is lovely, but unusable. I have to go back to the iMac from 2010. Any suggestions?

I am a digital illustrator and graphic designer. I have been using Illustrator and Photoshop since Illustrator 88 and Photoshop 1, and I use CS5.5 about 12 hours a day. I am on deadline on 30 projects, and just spent 2 hours trolling through forums for the answer to this problem because I can't see what I'm doing. Has anybody found one?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 27, 2015 0
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using a 17" MacBook Pro (2007) and Adobe Illustrator CC, Photoshop CC and InDesign CC.  The reason I am here is because I am having trouble seeing the font listing in Illustrator… and my eyes aren't improving. Like one of the other designers, I started out using the original Adobe Illustrator (before the 88 version was released). It is pretty dang important to be able to see the style you want to use in a piece.  Thank you!! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 09, 2015 0
Nov 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using CS5 or 5.5? Try going to System Preferences>Accessibility>Display and click the box (or unclick) that says Reduce Transparency.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 09, 2015 0
Explorer ,
Dec 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I gave up trying to see the font list, instead I go to a website called wordmark.it

I can type in my words and it loads all of my system fonts and displays my text in the font I choose.

I then go back to Illustrator or Photoshop and start to type the name of the font I chose.

I shouldn't have to do this, I agree but it is a VERY useful website.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 07, 2015 0
Participant ,
Mar 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Skimming through this topic I can't find any posts that actually tell me anything. I know in Photoshop and Muse there are some controls for UI font size but nothing in Illustrator. I am squinting to see the panel and layer names. Frustrating. Bridge has the same problem. I know economy of screen space but this is ridiculous. The UI font seems to be about 7pt.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 10, 2016 1
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using window 10, i7, and display resoluation set at 200%. I have tried all setting mentioned ditto attempting to adjust the control panel to a bigger front size. Big nothing works so far. Any soluation for window 10 yet?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 02, 2016 1
Explorer ,
Jun 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sanjaykr, this problem is NOT solved/answered, can you please removed the incorrect status from the top of this post/forum and  try and get some action on this issue which has been talked about for 4+ years. It s a really basic requirement. Does Adobe want to get sued for eye strain issues? Many thanks, James

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 07, 2017 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi James,

Are you on Mac or Windows? On Windows Ai supports UI scaling for 100%, 150% and 200%. The Re: Is it even possible to increase the font size in the Illustrator CC UI? Panels are unreadable!  image would allow you to snap to higher or lower scale. e.g. If you have selected 125% in OS UI scale, then lower setting would snap to 100% and higher setting would snap to 150%.

Sanjay.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 13, 2017 0
Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sanjay, Im on the latest up to date versions of everything, I've already told you this in previous correspondence here with a full spec.

iMac Sierra 10.12.5 and latest CC apps

What are you talking about here? Illustrator, indesign or my macOS? It doesn't relate to any of these? Arghhhhh!!!!

"If you have selected 125% in OS UI scale, then lower setting would snap to 100% and higher setting would snap to 150%."

Please inform asap, this is getting very boring, please puysh through to developers, Thanks. James

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 14, 2017 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi James,

We currently don't have custom scaling support on Mac. I am forwarding the request to the Illustrator product management.

Sanjay.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 14, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

please stop sending me emails unless Adobe effects the font size issue

On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 10:18 AM, belindad83207544 <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 08, 2017 0
Jun 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

please stop sending me emails unless Adobe effects the font size issue

The forum software sends out emails automatically to everyone who posted in this thread. This is a public forum and that's just how forums work. You will need to log in and change your settings in case you do not want this.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 09, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anyone at Adobe working on this issue ? The tiny font display in the UI

is ridiculous and harmful .

On Fri, Jun 9, 2017 at 5:31 AM, Monika Gause <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 09, 2017 1
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is this done on the Mac side? The fonts in the UI of InDesign and Illustrator CC are microscopic and contribute to major eyestrain. What is the point of being able to enlarge the panels if you still can't read the fonts within them? I have two Apple 27" displays. I really don't want to res down my monitors for the UI, esp if it results in edges that are not crisp.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 20, 2015 1
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi lynne's test,

What is the screen resolution of your Apple displays? There is a way to enable HiDPI resolution by typing following command on terminal

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist DisplayResolutionEnabled -bool true

and after running above command and re-logging, you will see some additional screen resolutions in display settings. When you select one of the HiDPI screen resolutions from your display settings, All your app's size will become double. But this mode will be really helpful if your screen's PPI is close to 200, else everything on your screen will look very big.

Sanjay.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 27, 2015 0
Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using this app called RDM for about a year to switch between display resolutions. Works on multiple displays. Remembers settings on restart/shutdown. It has settings for HiDPI. Doesn't work very well on a standard Thunderbolt Display because of the native resolution but I can kick my late 2013 15" MBP up to an unusable 4096x2160. Usually keep it around 2560x1600 with no issues.

It's a small app that sits in your menu bar. Found it on Reddit. http://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/vi9yf/set_your_retina_macbook_pros_resolution_to

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 27, 2015 1