• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a font creator for Adobe CC where I can convert .ai files into .ttf?

New Here ,
Oct 29, 2013 Oct 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a font creator for Adobe CC where I can convert .ai files into .ttf?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Moving the discussion to Illustrator forum as the experts here might be able to give you the right answer]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mike Gondek, however, I was moreso inquiring if Adobe CC would develop their own font developer (i think typekit is the only font related software as of yet).  Any pros/ cons to Fontlab or fontographer that you've experienced?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jongware (a member here) created a cost effective way to create fonts in InDesign. You could if needed use Illustrator then take things into Indesign for the final output.

IndyFont: Create OpenType fonts in InDesign

http://www.indiscripts.com/category/projects/IndyFont

Which is yet another example for scratching our heads as to why Adobe fails to truly innovate as such themselves, just one of many.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fonkit won't convert .ai to a .ttf.  Fontlab cost a little more, but has nice adavanced opentype features. Fontographer can get the job done, one major hurdle at the start was you has to set your fill to none in Illustrator, then copy and paste into fontographer.

Why do you want .ttf? .otf would be crossfplatform and have room for all the extra characters, fractions, contextual alternates, ligatures.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome, thanks for the feedback.. I'm still getting used to font creation, so was unaware of the .otf/ .ttf differences.  Thank you, it exports to .ttf by default.  Reinstalling the font as an .otf solved the problem I was having with a couple glyphs that were missing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem. The font market is not as profitable nor gets as much glamour/attention as back in the silicon valley days or else opentype may have gotten more support/standardization/exposure.

I was just sufferieng myself with opentpye Gill Sans Std Otf only having opentype fractions for 1/2 and not anything else, what a pity for a font that deserves better. If you see any fonts named Std that means Linotype Standard and is actually a good thing more current version of the opentype font, not a transmitted disease.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 17, 2017 Jan 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe was (re)developing an app they bought years ago. They previewed it in 2015 at MAX, it was called "Project Faces." I have no idea what happened to it, or if it's still in development. But it would be an extremely cool addition to CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2017 Jan 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

graphic mac schrieb:

Adobe was (re)developing an app they bought years ago. They previewed it in 2015 at MAX, it was called "Project Faces." I have no idea what happened to it, or if it's still in development. But it would be an extremely cool addition to CC.

Try the FontSelf plugin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 05, 2018 Jul 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Monika+Gause  wrote

graphic mac schrieb:

Try the FontSelf plugin

Yeah, I've seen the FontSelf plugins, they're quite nice for developing your own typeface, or creating one from AI artwork. But they're not the same as what Adobe was developing years ago, where you could take an existing font and make it thicker, wider, taller, thinner, etc. all with a a slider. Essentially, it was a font editor that didn't require you to hand draw anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 05, 2018 Jul 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you're talking about variable fonts. there are a few installed with CC. Try setting some type as Acumin Variable Concept and having a play around.

it's not a 'font editor' by any stretch of the imagination though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 27, 2018 Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Project Faces looked very promising but nothing has been released publically that I have heard of what their plans are with that. You may want to download the trial for:

https://glyphsapp.com/tutorials/creating-a-variable-font

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2018 Nov 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Email Address Removed)

On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 7:57 AM PECourtejoie <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2017 Jun 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just found this and thought I would share as I had had the same question.
https://www.fontself.com/

There is the Fontself add-on for both Photoshop and Illustrator that can turn fonts you have created into Open Type Fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Group,

I am starting with fonts and would really appreciate if someone could advise if there is an alternative font app that supports Illustrator in creating font files. I have InDesign but unsure if that can be used instead of fonself. If not, are there any others?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you had a look at the options already mentioned in this thread?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Doug for your reply. I will certainly re-visit all the possible plug -ins mentioned. I think the most sought after that is compatible with Illustrator is Fontself. I will investigate the pricing for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most font editors support eps or some version of AI files (but maybe not the lastest version).

Fontself integration is seamless. There's a script for InDesign that allows you to create OTF fonts as well.

There are a couple of simple and free or at least cheap font editors, such as FontForge or BirdFont. Integration into Illustrator is not existent for those.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Monika that's really helpful as I have InDesign so I will definitely look into that as an option. I will also have a look at the others. Shame they don't work with Illustrator tho

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The easiest & fastest way to turn vector shapes into an OpenType font is definitely to run the Fontself extension in Illustrator. Drag, drop, done:

1*2ZY39hxegK39S113SWjb4w.gif

This extension sells at $49 and brings many powerful features like color fonts, kerning, ligatures, alternates (I'm one of its makers).

It now also helps you easily host your fonts on your website, showcase them on your Behance portfolio and even to send creative messages with your fonts on your smartphone.

Hope this can help you get started and enjoy type-making

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2018 Nov 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Franz looks like Fontself is the most userfriendly and seamless with illustrator. That's a good font you have!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines