• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mesh Tool on Object with Gradient

New Here ,
Jan 19, 2018 Jan 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to apply a mesh to the highlighted part of the butterfly, and when I click on it, the mesh turns black:

Screen Shot 2018-01-19 at 4.png

Selecting Object> Create Gradient Mesh gives me the same result.

Can a mesh not work on a gradient? Thank you so much!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 27, 2018 Jan 27, 2018

Hey Becky. The operation that you did in the first place created the expected result. You should then use the direct selection tool to select individual mesh points and add the colours that you want. You can also use the Lasso tool to select multiple points and the Mesh tool to add additional mesh points.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2018 Jan 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't use the Mesh tool directly on a Gradient-filled object. You have to Expand the object first.

Go to Object > Expand.

In the dialog that opens, choose Gradient Mesh and click OK.

This will convert the object to a Gradient Mesh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2018 Jan 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I do that, I end up with a black and white gradient and I can't change it back to my previous gradient. Screen Shot 2018-01-26 at 8.59.10 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2018 Jan 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then maybe your previous gradient was black and white.

The object might have had a blend mode applied to it.

Please show us either the file or drill down yourself. Use the layers panel to inspect your artwork.

How to use layers in Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Becky. The operation that you did in the first place created the expected result. You should then use the direct selection tool to select individual mesh points and add the colours that you want. You can also use the Lasso tool to select multiple points and the Mesh tool to add additional mesh points.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

meshPoints.png

If it's of any help: (A) shows originsl object, with simple radial gradient; (B) shows result of clicking on object with Mesh Tool; (C) shows result of selecting centre point with Direct Selection Tool and selecting colour swatch; (D) shows result of adding additional mesh points and repeating (C) on various points.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines