Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In CS2-Suite the following fonts were installed by Adobe:

in Illustrator

Myriad-Bold

Myriad-BoldItalic

Myriad-Italic

Myriad-Roman

Now in Adobe Creative Cloud Suite  I need these old Fonts on my Mac Computer with System Mac OS X 10.10

I always get a error message: missing fonts.

I have installed many Myriad Pro fonts, but not Myraid-Bold, ....

I need to FIX this problem because I have thousands of Illustrator files with this problem.

It's interesting, that  on my old Mac with Mac OS X 10.7  and CS2 Suite everything works fine, but I cant't find there the missing fonts!!

Where can I find these fonts?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Nov 18, 2014 Nov 18, 2014

Further information ...

Yes, older versions of the Creative Suite that included Adobe Illustrator did include the old, now deprecated Type 1 versions of Myriad. However, you can safely replace Myriad Roman with Myriad Pro Regular, Myriad Italic with Myriad Pro Italic, Myriad Bold with Myriad Pro Bold, and Myriad Bold Italic with Myriad Pro Bold Italic, all of which are included in all recent versions of the Creative Suite and Creative Cloud applications.

There are very good reasons to byte the bul

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

You should be able to copy whichever font missing from the old computer to the new one, just searching/opening the fonts folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was not able to find the missing fonts with the app: font app.

I also tried to find the different font folder in the Mac OS system (Library/font,  user Library font)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

Then how about looking into the old installation CD(s)/DVD?

But it should be possible to find the fonts that are on your (old) computer and copy them over.

Tom,

I am quite certain that those fonts acquired with an earlier version are yours to use, also with a newer version.

Someone may ask Dov to join us.

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Dov%20Isaacs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may also have a look at the Adobe Fonts folder on your old Mac:

Library/Application Support/Adobe/Fonts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2014 Nov 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the hint.

The missing fonts were located in:   /Library/Application Support/ Adobe /Font/Req/ ...

Thank you again

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 24, 2014 Nov 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter.

For the script, try to post this question in the Illustrator scripting forum:

Illustrator Scripting

regards,

Ton

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps Dov or someone else can weigh in on this because it was my understanding that the fonts Adobe provides with a specific version of the Creative Suite are for use with that version only. (And it is possible I'm wrong here.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that is absolutely not true!

Assuming you have licensed and used Adobe products of various flavors and versions over the years, whatever fonts were provided are yours to continue using regardless of whether newer versions don't also install those same fonts. And you may use them in conjunction with any other applications on your system as well.

However, your license for the fonts is limited to the user for which the original software was licensed.

Also note that when you either uninstall or upgrade an Adobe application, fonts are not uninstalled as part of that process!

In terms of retrieving fonts from previous product installations that you somehow lost along the way, very few of such assets are loosely stored on the installation disks or in the installation packages. Your best bet is to retrieve the fonts from a reliable backup of your system. You do keep backups, correct?

- Dov

PS: If you want to see which fonts were bundled by which Adobe applications, take a gander at

Fonts Installed by Adobeā€™s Creative Suite Ā« Typblography

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very nice to see you here, Dov.

And thank you for that very useful link. Among other things it made me realize that I had some fonts that I had been unaware of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Further information ...

Yes, older versions of the Creative Suite that included Adobe Illustrator did include the old, now deprecated Type 1 versions of Myriad. However, you can safely replace Myriad Roman with Myriad Pro Regular, Myriad Italic with Myriad Pro Italic, Myriad Bold with Myriad Pro Bold, and Myriad Bold Italic with Myriad Pro Bold Italic, all of which are included in all recent versions of the Creative Suite and Creative Cloud applications.

There are very good reasons to byte the bullet (so to speak) and make those substitutions now. OpenType CFF fonts and especially those marked as Pro have all the features of the previously-labeled expert sets, vastly expanded character sets, and are tightly integrated with the OpenType features of the layout engines in InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2018 May 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently Myriad Roman has disappeared from my computer completely - I keep a copy of my fonts folder on a separate drive to avoid this type of problem and it's missing from there as well.

I don't mind replacing old fonts with updated version but I need to do it when I have time to do it carefully and completely - not when I have a deadline. This is ridiculous - I have a file with over 100 layers for maps and turning them on/off is something I need to do with care not to leave something on that shouldn't be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 09, 2018 May 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To be very clear, nothing from Adobe uninstalled your fonts from either system font directories or a copy of your fonts directory stored elsewhere. I won't speculate as to what else could have happened.

That having been said, this type of situation is exactly why you should regularly backup your systems such that you can retrieve such AWOL assets. You do backup your system, don't you? 

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2014 Nov 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spent more than 12 hours to solve my problem.

In Illustrator CS 2 the standard fonts was: Myriad

Since Illustrator CS 3 the standard font changed to: Myriad Pro.

The first Problem I want to solve is:

On my old computers CS4 is installed and I can use in Illustrator the Font Myriad.

But I cant't find any font myriad in any Font folder in the Mac System font folders.

I want to know from the Adobe Ingeniers, where is the place of the hidden font Myriad!

Where is the location of the missing font Myriad in the Mac OS X 10.9 system?

The second Problem I would liked to be solved is an script.

I have thousends of files written with the font myriad.

The script should exchange the fonts:

From Myriad Roman to Myriad Pro

From Myriad Italic to Myriad Pro Italic

From Myriad Bold to Myriad Pro Bold

From Myriad Bold italic to Myriad Pro Bold italic

I also tried to find the Myriad font on the installation disc of Illustrator CS 2

But cant't find the font Myriad on the two discs, because there is only an installation routine.

And the installation failed on my newer computer of:

a) hard disk format HFS+

b) problems with newer Adobe programs

I also tried to find the Myraid font on the internet.

For the font Myriad I found one font

For Myriad Bold and Myriad Bold Italic I found the  fonts, but when I want to save the document, I get an error message like "missing license to store the fonts"

And last but not least I want to thank all of you of the given help to me here.

But I have still the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2014 Nov 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I have found the missing fonts and solved my urgent problem šŸ™‚

My procedure was:

- on an old laptop I installed a complete new MAC OS X 10.5 and a new installation of Illustrator CS 2

- I found the installer log-File of Illustrator CS 2 and the place for the Myriad fonts:   /Library/ Application Support/ Adobe / Fonts / Rqr/ MyriaBold ... usw.

But the solution is not the best solution for my problem.

The best solution would  be to have a java-script or something like that, to exchange all my old Myriad fonts to Myriad Pro fonts, because I have thousands of old files with the old Myriad fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines