• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

One Vector Artboard Used To Create all iOS Icons

Participant ,
Nov 11, 2019 Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a message to a gazillion dollar corporation (and their sparkling community) about something *I* desperately need. 

I love illustrator. But, I don't understand why the "Export For Screens" option, which I have loved, doesn't include an option for exporting iOS icons.  Apple has a Photoshop template, which doesn't work (page with template link, https://developer.apple.com/design/resources/ template: https://developer.apple.com/design/downloads/iOS-13-Photoshop.dmg ). But then again, what is the point of vectors if you have to manually create all the different resolutions? 

Is exporting one image into all the different sizes (and there are many!) not the best idea? Why wouldn't I want to use one vector image to create all the different resolutions?!  If we could export from one vector image to their various resolutions, then, if needed, we could adjust in photoshop. If adjustments are even needed. 

Please, Adobe, make an "iOS Icon Template" for Illustrator, that actually creates all the required icon images from one artboard that actually works in Apple xcode. This would be incandesently good. It would light up the mobile world with peace and love. It would put Adobe ahead of their competition, "Ooh, mercy. Yes. We got to beat that competition."

At the very least, Adobe could provide a detailed and comprehensive guide to creating icons for iOS so poor independent artists/app developers/programmers like me could get the Secret Knowledge enabling me to produce icons easily with the wonderful professional tools I use every day.

And before you say something like, "Well, if Apple can't even make a Photoshop template that works in xcode, how can you expect the Adobe community to do so?", allow me to chide you: If the owners of Photoshop and Illustrator want to cede defeat in the arena they are playing in to another company, then perhaps all of us should find someone who is interested in competing. 

Marking this as Feature Request although it sure seems like a bug to me. 

Sincerely,

A Numenorian 

PS Sorry if this is not worded correctly... Written to the Bazillion dollor corporation, not to any of the wonderful people who work there...

PPS  it wouldn't hurt to have the same for Android apps....

TOPICS
Draw and design , Feature request , Import and export , Print and publish , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone marked this post as spam! I had to provide the links to make the post useful (I guess the YouTube link wasn't necessary). I've been using this forum since at least 2014. Here's my oldest comment:         Re: Illustrator History Panel...               

Just because I don't post a lot does not mean my comments are not worthy of being posted! And wouldn't a spammer post millions of times? And as to the name, there's no way I can find to change my community display name. But, what's wrong with having a fun name online?! A little frustrated...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Figured out how to change my screen name to my boring name in real life. You have to go to your adobe.com profile to change your display name.  ....Goodbye, ManOfNumenor, we will miss you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Apple has a Photoshop template, which doesn't work"

Seems to work for me with an Illustrator smart object.

You need to enable the Generator in Photoshop Preferences > Plugins.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/generate-assets-layers.html

Screenshot 2019-11-11 at 21.58.51.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2020 Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have been using the two ones below for Illustrator that are part of Adobe Stock and are free. There is a version 1 & 2.

https://stock.adobe.com/ca/120922096
https://stock.adobe.com/ca/120922093

They have variety of sizes. I think I added 2 and added extra labels for clarity(iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, etc). It seems to be doing exactly what the Photoshop & Sketch versions do. Exports works. I had to label them, but that's about it. I hope that helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines