• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

outline an image in illustrator cc

Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2017 Sep 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hand-drew a detailed image using black ink and scanned that in as a jpeg. I have been playing around with live trace in illustrator and came across the view as an outline option. This created a really cool effect for my image and I was wondering if it was possible to save this "view" as an editable image. I know I could use the pen tool to trace the outlines, but that would take forever and I know there MUST be a way to accomplish that.

I have tried to save the outlined image as a PDF and open in photoshop, but it opens up as a blank file. I have gone through all of the tools and options and can't figure out how to make those outlines real! Please help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 05, 2017 Sep 05, 2017

Try this. Instead of expanding with the Expand button select the art and go under the Object menu to Expand. When the dialog box comes up deselect Fill under the Expand options.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After you complete the image trace you will see a button in the upper menu that says “Expand”. Click on that while the tracing is still selected and the tracing will become editable art. See screen shot:

Screen Shot 2017-09-05 at 11.12.05 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See screen shot:

The top image is the one with the "view" option selected as "outlines".

The bottom image is what happen when i have the image selected and select "expand".

I want to keep the image with the first images types of outlines, but I would like to make them a different color and get rid of the bounding box outline around it. Is that possible?

Screen Shot 2017-09-05 at 11.16.08 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just trace it and expand the result.

Then select a black filled object (your traced result contains only filled objects).

Select > Same Fill Color

Swap the fill color for a stroke color (Shift X)

Adjust the stroke width.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this. Instead of expanding with the Expand button select the art and go under the Object menu to Expand. When the dialog box comes up deselect Fill under the Expand options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just want to add to the above make sure that you are in the outline view option when you do what I outlined above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much this worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Happy to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines