Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Paintbrush tool is not active or unable to change to other brush defination

Participant ,
Mar 23, 2018 Mar 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

brush issue.JPGDear All,

When I click my paintbrush tool for painting a leaf's stem, it is sometimes inactive-meaning I will not be able to use brush at all even my layer is not locked. So my work around is selecting a calligraphic brush then it will work. However, when I want to use "basic" brush rather than calligraphic,it will not change even I selected "basic". It means when I paint, it will just move back to calligraphic brush . I use CC version and this wasn't an issue before since I have been using it for a couple of years.

Is there any set up I did wrongly to trigger this? please kindly help me.Thanks a lot.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 24, 2018 Mar 24, 2018

"Basic" is not a brush. "Basic" deletes the brush from your stroke.

The brush tool can only work when a brush is selected in the brushes panel. But "Basic" is not a brush.

You want to work without a brush, then don't use the brush tool. Use the pencil tool instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2018 Mar 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Basic" is not a brush. "Basic" deletes the brush from your stroke.

The brush tool can only work when a brush is selected in the brushes panel. But "Basic" is not a brush.

You want to work without a brush, then don't use the brush tool. Use the pencil tool instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 30, 2018 Mar 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika,

Thank you so much for your reply, I have been using illustrator for a couple of years and I think I need to go back to my basic. Thanks a lot for your reply.   It confused me quite sometime.

Please kindly help me with another question, when I selected a brush to paint and later changed to another art brush , the new line(stroke) I drew keep going back to the previous brush setting, no matter how many times I reset it. Is there anything I set up wrongly in preference or other area? I always correct this everytime I drew, it is very frustrating. Thanks a lot once again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2018 Mar 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not quite clear what may be causing this, can you please show what exactly stays and how you want it to be?

I first thought it could be caused by the setting "New object has basic appearance" in the appearance panel menu. But then the new object also wouldn't have a brush applied. So it might be something else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 02, 2018 Apr 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika,

Thanks for your reply, let's wait and see if someone could see this and help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2018 Apr 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Without knowing more details, I doubt that anyone can help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines