Highlighted

Problems rotating shapes in Illustrator

Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes I start Illustrator and everything is fine. I create a circle....or square and I can rotate like normal. Other times, I can only expand or contract the shape. The arrow option to rotate will not show up. If it is an object that I have placed on the artboard, I never have any problem rotating. It seems to only be shapes I create with the shape tools. I have reset my preferences but to no avail. Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,

My Sanity

{Renamed by MOD}

ANSWER: I worked with tech support today for about an hour and we got it figured out, so I hope this works for everyone else. I have a 4k display on this computer. I had the set to 250%. Once we changed it to 225%, the arrows came back. You will have to restart Illustrator, but it worked. Hope it works your you!

TOPICS
Performance, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Problems rotating shapes in Illustrator

Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes I start Illustrator and everything is fine. I create a circle....or square and I can rotate like normal. Other times, I can only expand or contract the shape. The arrow option to rotate will not show up. If it is an object that I have placed on the artboard, I never have any problem rotating. It seems to only be shapes I create with the shape tools. I have reset my preferences but to no avail. Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,

My Sanity

{Renamed by MOD}

ANSWER: I worked with tech support today for about an hour and we got it figured out, so I hope this works for everyone else. I have a 4k display on this computer. I had the set to 250%. Once we changed it to 225%, the arrows came back. You will have to restart Illustrator, but it worked. Hope it works your you!

TOPICS
Performance, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 29, 2020 2
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your file doesn't download. Does View > Show Bounding box help?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 29, 2020 1
Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. The bounding box is there. I can scale up and down. The arrows show up to scale, but the arrow to rotate does not show at all. It does if I have drawn a shape with the pen tool or if I have placed an object on the artboard.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 30, 2020 0
Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Move the selection tool around a little bit? Until it catches the rotation cursor?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 30, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish the video would play, but I have done all that. I've been an Adobe user for nearly 20 years ( I hope that doesn't sound callous...just saying I'm very experienced with the functions). I have zoomed in ...I have zoomed out. It is super strange. And as I say, it works sometimes. I guess I may try a fresh install.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 30, 2020 0
Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems elementary but check what tool you have selected:
Make sure you're in the Selection Tool, and not Direct Select Tool when rotating?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 30, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://gyazo.com/46b0a515a3df2356d6beec9920371ee2

https://gyazo.com/afea20bb809e0dd5313c05cd3a604e47

Hopefully you can see these. I'm using the correct tool and I show the differences between shapes and objects.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 30, 2020 0
Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see now, see it's not working, and you have exhausted all the other options.

1. Trash preferences

2. Restart/Reboot

3. Reinstall APP

Report as bug final option:

https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 01, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue!! It has been almost 2 weeks and I have tried every single thing. Re-starting, unplugging my wacom, i dont see any options on setting that can help me and I still, up to today, can't see the rotating cursos, nor the arrow to scale any shape i am working on Ai, Indesign or Photoshop. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ANSWER: I worked with tech support today for about an hour and we got it
figured out, so I hope this works for everyone else. I have a 4k display on
this computer. I had the set to 250%. Once we changed it to 225%, the
arrows came back. You will have to restart Illustrator, but it worked. Hope
it works your you!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 30, 2020 0
Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried the usual remedies of restarting Illustrator/rebooting your computer?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 30, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sure have.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 31, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have discovered that even though the rotate arrow doesn't show up, I am still able to click and rotate if I am in the area where it normally would be. This is definitely a bug.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 31, 2020 0
Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

send please a bug report here: https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 31, 2020 1
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

So sorry to hear about this issue. I tried but couldn't replicate this issue at my end. We have recently released an update for Illustrator 2020 (v 24.1.2) which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on v24.1.2, then we recommend you to update to the latest version and let us know how it goes. 

Regards,

Srishti

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 29, 2020 0