Highlighted

"Illustrator CC 2019 would like to record your screen" in mac OS catalina

Explorer ,
Oct 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently updated my mac to the latest mac OS Catalina, and all my apps were asking for permissions. Most of the things they wanted to use I understood. But Illustrator asked a bit of a sketchy question. 

"Illustrator CC 2019 would like to record your screen"

If I permit Illustrator to do so they can record my screen at all time's even when not in the Illustrator programme. It seems a bit weird and I don't get why illustrator would want this. Is there anyone who knows why illustrator asks this and if I should give permission.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Monika Gause | Adobe Community Professional

When you're not prepared for paranoid system settings, you shouldn't have upgraded to Catalina. This setting enables Illustrator to sample colors with the color picker for example.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

"Illustrator CC 2019 would like to record your screen" in mac OS catalina

Explorer ,
Oct 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently updated my mac to the latest mac OS Catalina, and all my apps were asking for permissions. Most of the things they wanted to use I understood. But Illustrator asked a bit of a sketchy question. 

"Illustrator CC 2019 would like to record your screen"

If I permit Illustrator to do so they can record my screen at all time's even when not in the Illustrator programme. It seems a bit weird and I don't get why illustrator would want this. Is there anyone who knows why illustrator asks this and if I should give permission.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Monika Gause | Adobe Community Professional

When you're not prepared for paranoid system settings, you shouldn't have upgraded to Catalina. This setting enables Illustrator to sample colors with the color picker for example.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 11, 2019 2
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 11, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Oct 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You for the response, maybe consider writing with a more positive tone. The color picker works just fine without illustrator having permission

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 11, 2019 7
Most Valuable Participant ,
Oct 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Picking from other apps?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 11, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Oct 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That has never been a future of adobe software, and it still does not work for me even with permission. Should it?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 11, 2019 0
Oct 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some other (non-Adobe) applications need the record screen setting in order to enhance their user interface (such as render a drop shadow below the toolbar).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 11, 2019 1
Oct 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can pick from other apps with the eyedropper by holding shift and clicking and dragging.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 11, 2019 2
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doug_A_Roberts is correct and the answer that has been selected as correct is not correct. It's misleading as is the software itself!! Adobe asks permission to record the screen when it doesn't need permission. I upgraded to Catalina and used the eyedropper and was presented with the "I want to record your screen dialog". I pressed deny and the eyedropper worked without problems.

Please Note that I did not try to sample colours outside of the Illustrator app window. But since I didn't try to do that, the dialog is misleading.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 04, 2020 0
Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what exactly did you pick up with the eyedropper?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 04, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the thing is that when you don't allow screen recording the eyedropper doesn't work outside Adobe software. When you allow it it does. It still might be adobe trying to scam you but I doubt it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 04, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Adobe apps do not require access to your Calendar, Contacts, Screen Recording or Location. If you encounter this prompt, simply select Don't Allow.

Please check this link for more details: https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/cc-apps-macmojave.html

Regards

Rishabh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 11, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Oct 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rishabh,

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 11, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Oct 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply, I would like to point out that the eyedropper is not able to pick colors from other apps when illustrator does not have the authorization for screen recording

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 11, 2019 1
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for pointing this out. Let me check this with the Illustrator engineering team and I'll update the discussion accordingly.

-Om

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 11, 2019 1
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Om Nath Jha,  Thanks for checking into this.  The same has happened for me as well, identical to  jellep88213923.  I've had to grant permission in order for the eye dropper to select a color.  Will be monitoring this thread for future updates.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 20, 2019 0
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any follow up with this comment? Am I not seeing the follow up to this Om Nath Jha?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 08, 2020 0
Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Even in Photoshop, “Screen Recording” must be allowed to pick up colors from outside the screen.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/i-can-no-longer-get-colors-from-outside-the-photoshop-scree...

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/cc-apps-macmojave.html

This link doesn't say that you don't need to give permission to Screen Recording.

--
Susumu Iwasaki

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 20, 2019 1
Explorer ,
Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi silk-m,

As Rishabh said, he or she would update the descussion. Before it did say about the screen recording. I believe apple changed what apps can access in OS Catalina. I never had the problem in older mac software and I would make sense as apple is quite sequre about their users privacy.

I don't believe that adobe wants to collect date trough screen recording, so I would suggest granting access to screen recording for adobe program's. If adobe does have this intention than they are kindly invited to confess in this thread.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 20, 2019 1
Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone else had this warning come up when using Illustrator 2020? Bit weird and worrying if you ask me!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 26, 2019 0
Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Did you try to pick up the Finder color with the Illustrator Eyedropper?
macOS Catalina requires permission.

Screen Shot 2019-11-27 at 00.44.38.png

--
Susumu Iwasaki

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 26, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have allowed QuickTime as I do screen recording occasionally, so obviously must allow for it to work. But have denied request for AI. Adobe should explain which AI functions would need screen recording.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 23, 2020 0
Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must allow it in order to pick colors with the eyedropper tool. At least some people have reported that this doesn't work without allowing to record your screen.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 23, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can use eyedropper to pick color from screen even before I received the request as is noted by others posting here.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 23, 2020 0
Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can do that as well, but some people can't under some circumstances and then they have to allow that. Maybe you have already allowed it or you aren't even using Catalina.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 23, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not quite sure how this reply is marked as "correct". This issue is persistent, and even when granted I cannot sample outside of Illustrator. I remain unclear as to the purpose of this permissions request or the features it supposedly supports. Be nice if Adobe responded as promised. Running latest MacOS and CC2020.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 10, 2020 0
Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In order to sample colors from outside, you will have to Shift-click with the eyedropper inside the document, then while holding the mouse button move the cursor to where you actually want to pick from.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 10, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you,

That does seem to work in Illustrator. I enabled screen recording in InDesign and Photoshop, restarted those apps, and the function did not work in either. May require a system restart though not in a position to do that currently.

Thanks for your response.

Tony Novelli

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 10, 2020 0