Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Radial Dot Patterns

New Here ,
Jan 07, 2017 Jan 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

This has probably been asked before (and if so please direct me to the thread) but how would I go about creating a radial dot pattern such as the ones below in illustrator? I've tried using the halftone plugin but find that it doesn't produce clean and controllable results (and some of the circles come out wonky).

abstract-dots-1051--public-domain.jpg

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Transform effect can make that.

Download an example file here:

Florales Muster mit dem Transformationseffekt erstellen [Illustrator Praxis]

Edit: sorry no example file, just a screenshot that shows the values you need. You start with a circle of 3 mm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Incredible, works perfectly! Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or another approach; apply the transform effect to a dashed circle.

sunflower.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2019 Feb 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you happen to know how to do the reverse? Starting out with big dots in the middle and then getting smaller as yo ugo out? I tried using the blend tool however it doesnt create the same illusional effect. Transform doesnt seem to allow smaller even when I type a negative value in the scale...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 06, 2019 Feb 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The reverse does not look as nice.

This is as close as I could think of, in a different way. A single dotted line with a width profile zigzagged and transformed 6 degrees, 59 times.

DOTS.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob,

For that kind of exquisite dot patterns with no straight radial rows and no outer spiral ending, we may be talking Fermat/Fibonacci or other tough approaches, depending on whether you wish to have outwardly growing dot sizes as in your image or constant dot sizes as in a sunflower dot pattern (as you know sunflower (and similar) seeds are all the same size) you may read on in this earlier thread:

Re: Sunflower dot pattern

The Wikipedia article mentioned there has been withdrawn, see this replacement:

Fermat's spiral - Wikipedia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah thank you for the tips guys, will try these out now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines