Highlighted

Resizing bounding box without scaling image

New Here ,
May 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if anyone can assist. I want to change the size of a bounding box without scaling the image i.e the image must stay the same size and bounding box shape and size can change. (similar to cropping the image).  Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Resizing bounding box without scaling image

New Here ,
May 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if anyone can assist. I want to change the size of a bounding box without scaling the image i.e the image must stay the same size and bounding box shape and size can change. (similar to cropping the image).  Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 20, 2016 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
May 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not possible. The bounding box of an object is intrinsic, it's not a separate transform. Simply add a rectangle of whtever size you need and group it with your image to get an object with padded borders.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 20, 2016 2
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure if this is what you want.

Place an image.

Click the Mask button in the Options bar.

Make the mask larger or smaller.

You can also give it a color.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 20, 2016 3
Most Valuable Participant ,
May 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bee,

As I (mis)understand it, you may create a rectangle corresponding (in size and position) to the part of the image you want visible, then select both and Ctrl/Cmd+7 (Object>Clipping Mask>Make).

If you wish to really get rid of the outlying parts, you may do the dirty deed (or crop in Photoshop or something).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 20, 2016 2
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clipping placed (linked) images with the bounding box has been possible for a long time (since AI 9 or 10). But its implementation has always been pretty bumpy.

1. Place an image (linked)

2. Select the image, go to the Links palette menu and choose Placement Options. Use the following settings:

ai_placement_options_001.png

Now select the image and clip it with the bounding box.

I don't recommend this method because it may cause some serious trouble. For example, it used to reset the clipping bounding box as soon as you embedded the image. You can avoid that by doing an Object > Rasterize command, but that's just another workaround.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 20, 2016 0
Advisor ,
May 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What would be the benefit of having a larger bounding box?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 22, 2016 0
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's probably not the same situation as the OP's, but I'm looking to make the bounding box of one of my objects larger because it's interfering with my work in After Effects after I've puppeted the object.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 05, 2020 0
Resources